Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dune: Part Two.

Started by Glebe, August 05, 2022, 05:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Way too early for a trailer of course but here's an amusing Instagram post from Florence Pugh, preparing for her role as Princess Irulan.

That's the edition I'm reading at the moment. Old news now but just for the record, the other big additions to the cast so far are Christopher Walken as the Padishah Emperor, Léa Seydoux as Lady Fenring and Austin 'Elvis' Butler as Feyd-Rautha.

Thought the first movie was really good, only reading the book for the first time and very much enjoying it.

Mister Six

I've given up on the books with God Emperor, which has almost killed my interest in reading anything that isn't a comic book, so dull was it. But yeah, that first book is fun and I'll be interested to see how Villeneuve wraps it up. On reflection, I think I admire his films more than I enjoy them, but I do hope he gets the opportunity to do Dune: Messiah, the second book, which wraps up Paul's arc.

(I wouldn't mind someone a bit more mainstream doing the rest of the series, because there are some good ideas wrapped up in the awful prose, drab characters and inert plotting, and someone basically stripping them out and creating an interesting narrative to house them would be preferable to me than forcing myself through more of Herbert's bilge, even - in fact, especially - if it's not an accurate depiction of his "vision".)

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought the first one was pretty underwhelming, but I'll probably see this in the cinema anyway - mostly because my friend is a fan of the books and will be upset if he doesn't have anyone to see it with.

Hate Villeneuve, but it did make me give Lynch's effort another chance in the form of that "Alternative Edition Redux" fan edit.
It's fantastic! Loved every minute of it. Feels like you're watching flash gordon after dunc!

Spoiler alert
I know that it's fun for everyone, but as a geordie, it's a singularly exquisite pleasure seeing sting getting stabbed right up his cunt chin.
[close]

Blumf

[tag]Florence, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb[/tag]

Found the first one surprisingly... not good. Not terrible, but a real missed opportunity that didn't really work. Will still watch this, and hope Messiah gets done.

Lynch's is still the best, even if deeply flawed and point missing. It's good fun and feels as epic as it should be.

elliszeroed

Love the books. Loved the first film, even though it ended abrupdly.

Pugh seems too short to play a princess, mind, but my mind is open.

They can do wonders with step ladders nowadays.

Poobum

New Dune was the first film I'd seen at the cinema since Jurassic Park 3. It was an immense experience but did fall very flat when I tried to rewatch it on TV. Really looking forward to this, have liked Pugh it what little I've seen her in. I have just now realized there was no Alia in part one so will be interested how that'll be dealt with. Also love Lynch's Dune, saw it when I was about 12 and it was an eye opener on how stories could be told. It's such a unique film it that what works is genius and what doesn't is awful.

TrenterPercenter

Yes really enjoyed this in the cinema, loud as fuck, really looking forward to part two and seeing how political they are willing to go.

Poobum

Just remembered Alia technically was in the first film and that whole thing.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Poobum on August 06, 2022, 05:29:24 PMNew Dune was the first film I'd seen at the cinema since Jurassic Park 3.
Desolation.

Blumf

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 06, 2022, 05:49:26 PMreally looking forward to part two and seeing how political they are willing to go.

<interior, Sietch Tabr>
Paul Atreides: "Looks like those clowns in congress did it again! What a bunch of clowns!"

TrenterPercenter

"That's some crazy get up Harkonnen...."

Shaky

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 06, 2022, 04:26:01 PMPugh seems too short to play a princess, mind, but my mind is open.

What's the height requirement on princesses these days?

Blumf

Quote from: Shaky on August 07, 2022, 07:23:17 AMWhat's the height requirement on princesses these days?

Not so tall that she can't fit in a tunnel.

elliszeroed

Quote from: Shaky on August 07, 2022, 07:23:17 AMWhat's the height requirement on princesses these days?

Fair point :)

Glebe

Dunno but you're pretty short for a stormtrooper!

Pocket pop princess Kylie Minogue isn't even 5ft.
The diminutive diva, 54, wowed fans with her hour glass finger as she threw out the rulebook on princess height conventions.

Glebe

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 07, 2022, 01:05:46 PMPocket pop princess Kylie Minogue isn't even 5ft.
The diminutive diva, 54, wowed fans with her hour glass finger as she threw out the rulebook on princess height conventions.

Never mind the rulebook she's throwing out shapes as she's 'Spinning Around'! Woo! You go girl! Princesses can be diminutive after all!

George White

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 06, 2022, 04:26:01 PMLove the books. Loved the first film, even though it ended abrupdly.

Pugh seems too short to play a princess, mind, but my mind is open.
I was really hoping they'd cast Hunter Schafer (off HBO's Euphoria), who was considered. Also because having a trans Irulan would have been a nice nod to Jodorowsky who was going to cast (because Dali had forced him to) AManda Lear (though Amanda Lear is most certainly a trans woman, despite no record of 'Amanda Tapp' having existed before the mid-60s, and every transgender club act of a certain age saying they knew her when she was a Eurasian boy, and that passport of 'Alain Tapp' having been found, and the fact she is a known bullshitter to an almost Wyngardean degree).

Catalogue Trousers

'Hour glass finger'?

She's a blummen stick insect mon

Glebe

Dex Sawash

Glebe

Johnny Textface

I remember being blown away by the first part but have not revisited it since for whatever reason.
Was the fact that it was a two parter kept under wraps until it was released? Anyway I'm excited for rewatching the first one and going with some friends to see the conclusion. Thanks.

Mister Six

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 27, 2023, 06:34:04 PMWas the fact that it was a two parter kept under wraps until it was released?

It was definitely downplayed; I don't think the posters made a big thing out of it being a two-parter.

I made the mistake of trying to read the Dune novels, which are fucking shit, after watching this, so I'm sadly quite burned out on the whole thing. I'll probably watch it in the cinema anyway, though, because I want to support talented filmmakers working on stuff that isn't superhero pap (even if it is an adaptation).

I think Villeneuve said he wants to do the second book, Dune: Messiah, if this one does well. That one could quite easily be contained within a single film.

Actually, TBH the third and fourth books could probably be done in a single film combined because bugger all actually happens in them. I doubt Villeneuve wants to go that far, but a very liberal adaptation of those books (ie. one that's not 300 hours of people standing in rooms expositing and repeating whatever dogshit ideas were sloshing around in Frank Herbert's brain when he wrote them) could be fun.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 07, 2022, 01:05:46 PMPocket pop princess Kylie Minogue isn't even 5ft.

She's also tall enough to play a Street Fighter.

MojoJojo

I'd enjoyed the first film and reread the book afterwards.

1) The film basically covers Part 1, which is about 50% of the book.
2) It's easily the best part of the book too.
3) Part 2 is going to be interesting to turn into a film. Even more than the rest of the book, it's very, very heavy on internal monologue. The druggy stuff, which is a bit naff in the books, might actually work better in the film if Villeneuve can do something interesting with them. Although it's pretty well worn ground.

The book also show signs of being heavily cut down. There's a whole bit about Mentants and Bene Gesserit being sort of male and female and a sort of yin/yang thing which doesn't go anywhere. The big climatic fight with Feud doesn't really work because he's barely in the book, he's just some random Harkonnen who turns up at the end for a fight. And basically very little happens in the second half.

Blumf

Quote from: Johnny Textface on April 27, 2023, 06:34:04 PMI remember being blown away by the first part but have not revisited it since for whatever reason.

Find that with most Villeneuve films, great to look at, but nothing that holds onto you.

Will be watching Dune 2 : Electric Boogaloo, but don't expect much.

Mister Six

Quote from: Blumf on April 28, 2023, 01:53:12 PMFind that with most Villeneuve films, great to look at, but nothing that holds onto you.

Yeah, I think that's spot on. The bits that stayed with me from BR 2049 were all visual, not emotional - although that's true of the original, too, I guess.

I think he's a brilliant visual storyteller and worldbuilder, but there's an austereness to his work. He seems to dislike wordiness in scripts, which doesn't necessarily run counter to emotional depth, but when you're making action-led mainstream movies there's already a limited amount of screentime you can devote to stuff that isn't explosions or cool imagery, and words can help communicate emotion quickly, especially when the director favours languorous shots.