Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:50:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Death of Cunt

Started by Joe Oakes, July 17, 2022, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 20, 2022, 03:12:09 PMI thought it was less about us plucky Brits being more comfortable with swearing, but that the implied misogyny of it is more heavily emphasised in the USA. Such that pretty much any use of it (by a man) is considered an attack on women.

"But without batting an eyelid, a man will talk about his dick, or his rod, or his Johnson."

Potentially, but I've noticed how America seem to be more flippant with slurs, so I'd be surprised if that was a genuine concern for a large percentage of the US public. It's been a fight to fully remove "retard" and "faggot", for example.

Twilkes

Quote from: daf on July 20, 2022, 02:16:54 PMI always prefer substitutes to proper swears eg :

- That loudmouth cockney Tugboat
- Anyone seen my Fudgeknocking glasses?
- You sexy Mother-Hubbard

This contains some classics:

daf

Twilkes

Randomly watching this tonight for research purposes, but the RSC even managed to slip a cunt into a Shakespeare play - a variation on Joan Sims much more subtle line from a Carry On film, but the actress sells it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWidgvOlsTY#t=59m16s

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 18, 2022, 09:34:09 AMAustralians using it as a term of endearment is still funny to me
In central Scotland it simply means 'person'

MrMrs

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Twilkes on July 20, 2022, 11:18:55 PMRandomly watching this tonight for research purposes, but the RSC even managed to slip a cunt into a Shakespeare play - a variation on Joan Sims much more subtle line from a Carry On film, but the actress sells it well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWidgvOlsTY#t=59m16s
I imagine that's in the original - a very similar gag turns up in the French scene in Henry V:

Seems to me society goes through phases of being puritanical and censorious and phases of libertarianism. We're probably in a censorious phase right now.

In a few years' time, we'll probably pretend to be shocked that some fella or bird said the f word on tv or at the relevation that the bass player from Blur was treated for an addiction to toblerone and Earl Grey tea.

Quote from: Twilkes on July 20, 2022, 03:33:28 PMThis contains some classics:

You a carp, buddy? I'm a carp. I drink doubles cos I'm a carp. Where I come from, even the carps are carps. 911? I was there.