Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:15:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan's Ongoing Transphobia: "The Father Ted Musical Was My Pension"

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, July 19, 2022, 10:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: walktothewater on August 07, 2022, 10:40:51 PMWhy have his friends not staged an intervention? Like Neil Hannon, Graham Matthews etc.

He is very obviously not a well man. Maybe they have behind the scenes, but if so it doesn't seem to have worked.
His wife left him and took the kids, and all he's done with that is milk it for sympathy. If your spouse and children leaving you isn't a wake-up call, your friends haven't a hope of getting through to you.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

fucking hell 40% of the way to the next thread I'd better start picking out all the nuggets of banana from the slurry of shit

enjoy that image, CaB

Ferris

Quote from: walktothewater on August 07, 2022, 10:40:51 PMWhy have his friends not staged an intervention? Like Neil Hannon, Graham Matthews etc.

He is very obviously not a well man. Maybe they have behind the scenes, but if so it doesn't seem to have worked.

Remember that great absurdist Simpsons gag where Homer accused his two long-standing friends of being in the thrall of The Egg Council? But in the Springfield universe, the gag was there actually was one of those Egg Council Creeps right there behind the door! You better run, Egg!!

Right, now imagine that, but Lenny and Carl look genuinely nonplused and a bit worried. Now imagine he goes home and rants about it. Now imagine he rants at his family about it to the point of openly neglecting them for years. Of course: the grim reality is that there is no Egg Council Creep right behind the door, and the wife and kids leave, and Lenny and Carl get pints thrown in faces for trying to sort him out.

Now imagine it keeps going and spiralling and getting worse. Now flash forward 4 years. Ok, we are here.

There are still no Egg Council Creeps behind the door and Lenny & Carl now dodge his calls (and he's stopped showing up to his job anyway so pretty easy to avoid him), but the blog posts are getting more deranged because they're there, the Egg Council Creeps, definitely, I've seen them (but no one else has) but people on twitter tell me I'm right.

It's like that level of bleakness, but real and involving a substack and GB News.

JK Rowling('s simpsons appearance).

mtpromises

These people are not his friends but his co-workers.  It's clear he talks to none of them regularly.

The Late Satoru Iwata

I'm inclined to boil it down to: staging an intervention implies that you care.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Ferris on August 08, 2022, 12:50:08 AMRemember that great absurdist Simpsons gag where Homer accused his two long-standing friends of being in the thrall of The Egg Council? But in the Springfield universe, the gag was there actually was one of those Egg Council Creeps right there behind the door! You better run, Egg!!

Right, now imagine that, but Lenny and Carl look genuinely nonplused and a bit worried. Now imagine he goes home and rants about it. Now imagine he rants at his family about it to the point of openly neglecting them for years. Of course: the grim reality is that there is no Egg Council Creep right behind the door, and the wife and kids leave, and Lenny and Carl get pints thrown in faces for trying to sort him out.

Now imagine it keeps going and spiralling and getting worse. Now flash forward 4 years. Ok, we are here.

There are still no Egg Council Creeps behind the door and Lenny & Carl now dodge his calls (and he's stopped showing up to his job anyway so pretty easy to avoid him), but the blog posts are getting more deranged because they're there, the Egg Council Creeps, definitely, I've seen them (but no one else has) but people on twitter tell me I'm right.

It's like that level of bleakness, but real and involving a substack and GB News.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Ferris on August 08, 2022, 12:50:08 AMRemember that great absurdist Simpsons gag where Homer accused his two long-standing friends of being in the thrall of The Egg Council? But in the Springfield universe, the gag was there actually was one of those Egg Council Creeps right there behind the door! You better run, Egg!!

Lenny and Carl are also regulars at Moe's, so you can imagine there's concerned, hushed discussions among Moe, Barney and the other bozos about Homer going eggnanas.

Remember when Homer was boring all the pub bozos with his obsession with Thomas Edison? Like that x1000.

I think Allison's spotted her next crowdfunding opportunity

#ImSuingWickes

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 08, 2022, 11:24:18 AMI think Allison's spotted her next crowdfunding opportunity

#ImSuingWickes

oh ha what. i saw this at the parade and thought it was surprising to see a corporate float actually saying something that fucks

retsuza

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 07, 2022, 08:36:23 PM

"I don't think anyone really shares my website because everything I put on it looks like I've made it up it"

He's so close.

tomasrojo

I don't think you can subject a rhyming slogan to that sort of legal scrutiny.

EDIT: Ah right. Sorry, should have seen the joke. Even so, it's a perverse interpretation of "We should all hang together".

idunnosomename

Graham's head is so giant and sweaty yet Andrew's face is so tiny and pallid it's like they're from different universes

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2022, 11:52:33 AMGraham's head is so giant and sweaty yet Andrew's face is so tiny and pallid it's like they're from different universes

Like a really shitty Spider-Verse.

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 08, 2022, 11:52:33 AMGraham's head is so giant and sweaty yet Andrew's face is so tiny and pallid it's like they're from different universes

jobotic

Quote from: Better Midlands on August 08, 2022, 11:24:18 AMI think Allison's spotted her next crowdfunding opportunity

#ImSuingWickes

She should sue them. You know she'll win. Because T can't be L, G or B can they?

Bad Ambassador

Anyone starting to think Allison Bailey probably isn't a very good lawyer?

Cross-post from the DIM forum thread on David Warner:

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 07, 2022, 07:47:15 PMhttps://www.instagram.com/p/Cg4w6VUJZFU/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

Warner's son, who is trans, discusses how supportive he was regarding his transition, how he donated to charities supporting trans kids and "wept at the thought that parents could reject and abandon their children because they are queer".

God, we've really lost someone great.

FalknerHinton

When I saw the headlines about David Warner dying I was mildly put out that we'd never see the cheating Aussie prick cry on the telly again.

Imagine my relief when it turned out to be some other David Warner. Who in fairness seems to have been a good egg, so RIP to him.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 07, 2022, 06:42:59 PMSucker's not even in the right pub. Instead of being on the street in front of The Ten Bells, he could be a few doors down in the excellent garden of The Plough.

Norwichians will know the Ten Bells has been shite for about a decade after they 'revamped' it, changing it from an enjoyably shonky but characterful boozer into whatever the fuck it is now. Oh well.

frajer

Quote from: jobotic on August 08, 2022, 12:28:41 PMShe should sue them. You know she'll win. Because T can't be L, G or B can they?

And when she doesn't win, she'll just tag it: #AllisonBaileyWinsAgain

Whatever happens, she's rolling in that immorally acquired moolah and getting adoring messages from bigots telling her she's so very brave.

Just a piece of human shit.

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: frajer on August 08, 2022, 01:59:17 PMAnd when she doesn't win, she'll just tag it: #AllisonBaileyWinsAgain

Whatever happens, she's rolling in that immorally acquired moolah and getting adoring messages from bigots telling her she's so very brave.

Just a piece of human shit.

She's a grifter through and through.

Dr Rock

I'm the wonky Twitterman
JK forgets to mention
I spend my days, finding ways
to get round my suspension

The TRAs took my family, while I wasn't paying attention
Now they've taken Pope Ted too, that was my old age pension

Blumf

#ImSuingWickes

Beryl!! Fetch the paint stripper and crowbar. That kitchen we got from Wickes can not remain!!

Gaaaaaaahhhh!!!

Mister Six

Jumblegraws

Surprised Bailey hasn't done a Marion Millar-style superwheesht by now