Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Unleashed - On Tour! Run for your life wokes!

Started by jobotic, July 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I mean, it did make me go 'oh FFS Gary' but that was it. I don't think he should be hanged from the neck until dead or anything.

DrGreggles

Kankurette

I agree that shitting on the pitch is a crime, yes. Lucy Bronze looked like she was doing a poo in the final but she wasn't, she was just sitting on the ball like she was hatching an egg.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 03, 2022, 08:30:54 PM@Autopsy Turvey but why is critical race theory bad

familiarise yourself with the arguments made by the sources i cite, i shan't be able to summate them succinctly or eloquently enough, or do you want me spend the weekend cutting and pasting and dumping a ton of material in a comedy chat thread
also why is it good

Quoteis all higher education bad

no

Quotewho should educate the naive white 18 year olds living without their parents for the first time

good teachers

QuoteWhen you're a dog whistle / legitimate concerns racist you can't just come out and say "the couloureds shouldn't be allowed to criticise normal people like me", so instead you make scary noises about CRT and BLM

ah one of them 'dog whistle/legitimate concerns racists' like Thomas Sowell, John McWhorter, Robert Woodson, Jason Riley, Glenn Loury, Shelby Steele, Wilfred Reilly, Coleman Hughes...

Gurke and Hare

Have the woke left actually turned on Lineker for the crap pun? And did the woke left ever like him anyway? Wouldn't they have thought he was a centrist knob?

Kankurette

Depends if they're fans of Leicester, Spurs, Everton, or big-eared DILFs.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 06, 2022, 07:20:43 PMHave the woke left actually turned on Lineker for the crap pun? And did the woke left ever like him anyway? Wouldn't they have thought he was a centrist knob?

He's a prime 'this you?' candidate. 

Russ L

Bra-ry Lin-knicker.

(I spent a while thinking about what should be my first post on here should be.  Quite happy with that).

king_tubby

Kankurette

I rolled my eyes and went 'how lame' and that was it. You know who DID get angry? Mumsnet. That bastion of wokeness.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

@Autopsy Turvey so you can't summarise why critical race theory is bad, despite believing it to be so? Perhaps you could define "good teachers" for me.

beanheadmcginty

Not sure it's true that all university tutors are lefties. Dominic Sandbrook was one of mine. Have you seen the articles he writes for the Daily Mail?
I benefited from this though, because I quickly worked out that if I wrote him an essay that was reactionary cobblers, he'd give me a first. Every time. Shit like "Nixon was the greatest US president ever". He lapped it up.

dissolute ocelot

University lecturers seem to be politically similar to other professionals, according to a 2019 LSE study. University-educated people are slightly more likely to be pro-Labour than non-uni-educated people, although this is only true from 2015 (in 2010 they voted Lib Dem, the bastards). But if you've ever been in e.g. a business studies or economics faculty or even computer science or engineering, the idea that they're all marxists is laughable. And a significant amount of others too (I can't find a breakdown by subject; probably most sociologists vote Lib Dem, but it's generally mixed for most subjects).

somersetchris

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 07, 2022, 03:10:14 PMUniversity lecturers seem to be politically similar to other professionals, according to a 2019 LSE study. University-educated people are slightly more likely to be pro-Labour than non-uni-educated people, although this is only true from 2015 (in 2010 they voted Lib Dem, the bastards). But if you've ever been in e.g. a business studies or economics faculty or even computer science or engineering, the idea that they're all marxists is laughable. And a significant amount of others too (I can't find a breakdown by subject; probably most sociologists vote Lib Dem, but it's generally mixed for most subjects).

As mentioned I did English and media studies, we probably did have mostly centre/left lecturers but regardless of their political beliefs they taught us about Shakespeare and Milton, not about how communism is going to overthrow the capitalist patriarchy. We did a critical theory module which was mostly French post-structuralists but that was one module and most of it was impenetrable. I do wonder what tabloid journalists think university lectures actually consist of, most students are interested in drinking and shagging and not a lot else (certainly most of the ones I met weren't interested in learning!) 

king_tubby

You say this but I did a chemistry degree back in the 90s and we were forced to learn about cis and trans isomers.

So think on.

Quote from: king_tubby on August 07, 2022, 04:21:41 PMYou say this but I did a chemistry degree back in the 90s and we were forced to learn about cis and trans isomers.

So think on.
Indeed. My woke organic chemistry lecturers introduced me to the word "cis", which is wokery of the highest order and not simply a Latin term meaning "on the same side as".

Gurke and Hare

I did cis and trans isomers at A level. In the woke 80s, chemistry teachers were all groomers.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 07, 2022, 09:38:33 AM@Autopsy Turvey so you can't summarise why critical race theory is bad, despite believing it to be so?

I didn't say it was necessarily 'bad', it came up as an example of a radical left wing ideology that some students have been taught in some American universities, from where came the word 'woke' etc. I may be sceptical as to its efficacy, but it is a massive and complex subject,  and neither of us want to be indoors all day boiling down the black academic arguments for and against CRT into forum-friendly snarky soundbites. We'd be better off reading/listening to each other's favoured scholars, so which are the most persuasive sources that you'd recommend on the subject?

QuotePerhaps you could define "good teachers" for me.

Well, we all know what good teachers are, but in this context I'll just add that they should encourage students to consider multiple approaches to an issue, make steel man cases for and against virtually any argument, and of course, don't pass off their opinions and 'theories' as fact.

phantom_power

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 09, 2022, 02:50:29 PMcame up as an example of a radical left wing ideology

Critical Race Theory is in no way radical, and only borderline left wing. I imagine many Centrists believe it to be true. But then intersectionality is not radical either, which was another one you threw into the mix earlier. CRT is only "radical" if you believe the bullshit version the right wing press talk about

AllisonSays

Is a steel man the opposite of a straw man? Very cute terminology.

dr beat

I work in a social science dept in a HEI.  I feel I can say that tbf CRT does, one way or another, challenge much established academic teaching and research.  Intersectionality is also something academics are still very much trying to get their heads around, even allowing for the usual 'more research needed' caveat.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 09, 2022, 02:50:29 PMI didn't say it was necessarily 'bad', it came up as an example of a radical left wing ideology that some students have been taught in some American universities, from where came the word 'woke' etc.
so is it bad?

QuoteWe'd be better off reading/listening to each other's favoured scholars, so which are the most persuasive sources that you'd recommend on the subject?
my dear fellow, I never said I thought it was good. I asked you why it was bad.

QuoteWell, we all know what good teachers are, but in this context I'll just add that they should encourage students to consider multiple approaches to an issue, make steel man cases for and against virtually any argument, and of course, don't pass off their opinions and 'theories' as fact.
which teachers were passing off their opinions and 'theories' as fact?

Kankurette

Acting like a fucking human being is radical for some people.

somersetchris

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on August 09, 2022, 11:32:23 PMwhich teachers were passing off their opinions and 'theories' as fact?

I can name you one famous example, Dr Jordan Balthazar Peterson was regularly reprimanded for precisely this.

somersetchris

Quote from: phantom_power on August 09, 2022, 02:55:24 PMCritical Race Theory is in no way radical, and only borderline left wing. I imagine many Centrists believe it to be true. But then intersectionality is not radical either, which was another one you threw into the mix earlier. CRT is only "radical" if you believe the bullshit version the right wing press talk about

My understanding is that CRT means issues of race underlie political and cultural history, is that about right? So particularly in America, you can't really talk about your own country's history without talking about race, because of y'know, the whole genocide and slavery thing.

So not at all radical or controversial. More indisputable fact.

The people who don't want you learning CRT are the ones who want you to forget the whole genocide and slavery thing. The same ones who are always banging on about cancel culture and freedom of speech, want books with any mention of race - and you can chuck gender and sexuality in there as well - banned from schools.

Kankurette

The reason for CRT being Bad is because it apparently tells white people that everything is their fault and makes white kids feel bad about themselves.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Kankurette on August 11, 2022, 12:05:27 AMThe reason for CRT being Bad is because it apparently tells white people that everything is their fault and makes white kids feel bad about themselves.

That's why I have an OLED TV.