Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Re: Farmers!

I think it is because having a man using a voice box yell FARMERS! is funny.

Most of what happens in IAP1 is there because it's funny, so always the best explanation.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Solid Jim on July 25, 2022, 08:11:25 PMWhen Chris Feather dies, Alan says "oh no!" twice. The first utterance is jocular, playing along with a perceived joke; the second more stilted, with an unnatural emphasis on the 'oh'. In between, there is therefore a brief moment when he hangs on to the vain hope that Chris really is joking, but is inexplicably waiting for Alan to say "oh no" with the correct cadence before the joke can be over.

It's dawning on Alan that something might actually be wrong, and he regrets his initial jocular tone and is trying to cover for it by sounding more concerned, even though he's not sure what's going on. Whether he's trying to keep up appearances in front of Feather or is, as ever, playing to an imaginary audience is unclear.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: shoulders on July 26, 2022, 01:21:38 PMRe: Farmers!
I think it is because having a man using a voice box yell FARMERS! is funny.

Not to be dull (I'm being dull), but I'm sure it's there as bit of exposition for the audience. It's also very funny, so it's good exposition.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on July 26, 2022, 01:51:26 PMIt's dawning on Alan that something might actually be wrong, and he regrets his initial jocular tone and is trying to cover for it by sounding more concerned, even though he's not sure what's going on. Whether he's trying to keep up appearances in front of Feather or is, as ever, playing to an imaginary audience is unclear.

I love the panicked, "Err Chris yer dead!"

Also, how Alan deals with it in I, Patridge, sowing the seeds of Chris Feather's poor health and some mysterious affliction of his writing hand.

shoulders

It's 'Err... Hello Chris, are yer deaaaad?' in lieu of knowing even slightly what to do.

It's particularly funny as he directs it into one of Chris's ears as though by doing so some bit of Chris that's still alive might hear.

Solid Jim

Quote from: shoulders on July 26, 2022, 06:11:19 PMIt's 'Err... Hello Chris, are yer deaaaad?' in lieu of knowing even slightly what to do.

Echoes of "Sorted" from The Day Today. He forgot the crotch-punching, but still, kudos to Alan for remembering official government advice in a moment of crisis.

Bennett Brauer

'There's a grave over there of a man who died in 1872, and he was only three.'

gmoney

"There's a chap over there wearing jeans... chap of about 6?

petril

The Lurker

cacciaguida

Quote from: gmoney on August 17, 2022, 04:14:39 AM"There's a chap over there wearing jeans... chap of about 6?

It might have been on here or it might be have been somewhere else but...

someone once put forward the very attractive proposal that the aforementioned chap of about 6, namechecked as Todd (seriously?), is in fact Todd Cantwell.

The ages probably don't quite add up, but they are close enough for me to accept it.

Quote from: TheQueensboroBridge on July 15, 2022, 06:48:15 PMDidn't know where else to post this so apologies if not quite on topic but anyway...

Can anyone remember when Alan says something about The Corrs and remarks on the fact they have a female drummer and says something like 'If you shut your eyes it could be a man'?

Its not even a particularly great line but it's been annoying me that I can't remember what episode it's from. And Google isn't helping. I know there's the bit in IAP where he's in the studio and back announces a Corrs song by saying about how they're three little birds he'd like to prey upon. And then obviously the bit in The Office. Was it even Alan Partridge at all?

It's not from Partridge at all, it's from Apres Match.

Stop getting Partridge wrong on the internet.

Mobius

Portillo must have heard he was in Nomad, read it, and literally nicked Partridge's joke idea for a show.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Mobius on August 22, 2022, 10:42:05 PMPortillo must have heard he was in Nomad, read it, and literally nicked Partridge's joke idea for a show.

The bit in the audiobook where he instructs the reader in how to say "In the footsteps of my faaaaatheeeeeeeer" is incredible.

TheJam-Fest

Quote from: Solid Jim on July 25, 2022, 08:11:25 PMThere are two moments from IAP1 that occupy my thoughts.

When Chris Feather dies, Alan says "oh no!" twice. The first utterance is jocular, playing along with a perceived joke; the second more stilted, with an unnatural emphasis on the 'oh'. In between, there is therefore a brief moment when he hangs on to the vain hope that Chris really is joking, but is inexplicably waiting for Alan to say "oh no" with the correct cadence before the joke can be over.

Moments after farmers drop a cow on Alan, Peter Baynham's character sees them on the bridge and exclaims: "Farmers!" What can this mean? Does he only now realise how these mysterious men could have obtained a dead cow? Or perhaps he recognises the men and can thus confirm their occupation? Perhaps it is simply a piece of heavy-handed exposition for the dull viewer. We may never know.
The way the farmer shouts "partridge you WANKER" with a heavy emphasis on wanker makes me chuckle a lot

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on August 22, 2022, 10:42:05 PMPortillo must have heard he was in Nomad, read it, and literally nicked Partridge's joke idea for a show.

What is this loopy cunt wearing? Christ.

Cuellar

Johnny Yesno

I've just had this come up in my Sounds suggestions and I've not heard it before:

Inheritance Tracks - Alan Partridge: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0583r28

I've not been following this thread so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Mobius

Mobius

"For Christ's sake pull over Grant and get yourself a coffee! You're fucking Transport Minister!"

neveragain

Quote from: markburgle on April 14, 2022, 11:02:27 PMNah, the guff about "Whoopi Goldberg's copper kettle" is the low point, unfunny tedious waffle.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion ("obvs!") but I've always found that bit pleasingly odd.

Also, while I'm here, can anyone help me locate -
* "Wil you apologise to finteh?" - I remember the inflection but can't place the moment at all
* Alan's impression of Gyles Brandreth - Oasthouse s1 chapter and time, if you'd be so kind
Thanks.

neveragain

checkoutgirl

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on April 14, 2022, 11:20:05 PMLikewise whenever I see someone cycling without their hands on the handlebars in real life, my inner monologue involuntarily pipes up with "Riding non-handed! There's no need for that".

My brain blurts out "Peter Elliott" any time I see a sportsman with the surname Elliott, for instance that Liverpool player.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: neveragain on October 09, 2022, 05:35:47 PMYou're perfectly entitled to your opinion ("obvs!") but I've always found that bit pleasingly odd.

Also, while I'm here, can anyone help me locate -
* "Wil you apologise to finteh?" - I remember the inflection but can't place the moment at all
* Alan's impression of Gyles Brandreth - Oasthouse s1 chapter and time, if you'd be so kind
Thanks.

Wasn't the finteh bit from This Time when he's interviewing the bloke in the giraffe mask?

neveragain

neveragain

Thanks!
Hmm... not quite as accurate an impression as I expected, still good fun.

cacciaguida

In the potholing episode of the new Oasthouse, Alan explains that he could learn the bass to a sufficient standard to play with Dire Straits.

However, in Alpha Papa we see that he's already fairly proficient, laying down a bass track for the jingles Pat Farrell demands.

Can anyone square this off for me?

popcorn

Quote from: cacciaguida on October 09, 2022, 10:46:03 PMIn the potholing episode of the new Oasthouse, Alan explains that he could learn the bass to a sufficient standard to play with Dire Straits.

However, in Alpha Papa we see that he's already fairly proficient, laying down a bass track for the jingles Pat Farrell demands.

Can anyone square this off for me?

I noticed this too. I always found the Alpha Papa bass moment of shattering, this-changes-everything significance, but I don't think it was quite the same bombshell to everyone else.

McDead

I think Alpha Papa is a fictionalised depiction of the real seige that happened at North Norfolk Digital, one that places Alan in a more heroic (or at least more pivotal) role.

In a similar vein, in the episode of FTOHWAP series 2 where he almost drowns, does he make mention of his "current dog", despite not having replaced Seldom at this point? Or did I mishear that?

buttgammon

Quote from: McDead on October 10, 2022, 12:00:47 AMI think Alpha Papa is a fictionalised depiction of the real seige that happened at North Norfolk Digital, one that places Alan in a more heroic (or at least more pivotal) role.

In a similar vein, in the episode of FTOHWAP series 2 where he almost drowns, does he make mention of his "current dog", despite not having replaced Seldom at this point? Or did I mishear that?

I heard this too, but I haven't finished the series so as far as I know he might mention the dog again.