Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tripper's Day (Leonard Rossiter) and Slinger's Day (Bruce Forsyth)

Started by gepree, April 13, 2009, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armed Traffic Warden

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 12, 2022, 10:07:54 AMYou didn't think "Oh, that's Dave Quinnan from The Bill" at one point?

You're of course quite right. There's a lot more to that show than I gave credit for.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 12, 2022, 08:52:02 AMI wonder how the casting of Forsyth came about, and whether he pushed hard for it?  Going from a seasoned comic actor with two classics under his belt to the host of Play Your Cards Right is plain odd.

I suspect the thinking was similar when a channel poaches a star from elsewhere, who has done well in a particular show and think they'll automatically be able to replicate that success in a show with a completely different format. However, this usually isn't the case.

In this case, Forsyth's stock was incredibly high at the time and although he hadn't done sitcoms before, he had plenty of comedy experience. So arguably, there's more logic than might first appear.

Also, although it's a long while since I saw it, Forsyth's performance is actually very solid from what I remember.

Fambo Number Mive

Watched a few clips of Slinger's Day on Youtube and even though it's not that funny and some of the jokes are quite grim, I do like Forsyth's performance of Slinger though and I like the theme tune and watching the comedy antics that take place during the closing credits.

Watching a bit of Trapper's Day and I see Higgins (Andrew Paul) is in both, as is Mr Christian. Like how Forsyth (as himself) is mentioned in the first episode of Trapper's Day.

Slinger's Day is on Amazon for £9.99, decided to buy it as it's twelve episodes and I like Forsyth's performance. There's nothing much on tv anyway to be honest. Yes I know I have terrible taste in comedy.

grainger

I watched a bit of Slingers Day e1, and there a re a couple of scenes where Forsyth is dressing down the staff. Someone I know was at a celebrity charity golf match years ago. They were a kid at the time, and said something when Forsyth happened to be teeing off*. As I've been led to believe, he spun around and snarled "will someone tell that kid to shut up!". So it reminded me of that, really.

*And boy, was he teed off!

the science eel

Glebe

Gurke and Hare

He got a nomination for the Viz celebrity Cunts competition for being a dick to theatre staff.

Virgo76

All I remember about Tripper's Day is that Rossiter played a second role as a tramp in one episode. This was mentioned a bit when he died.
Rossiter died very suddenly. He was found dead in his chair in his dressing room during the interval to a play he was appearing in.
Let us not forget Bruce Forsyth was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. He threatened the main child characters with a knife. Children's films were weird in those days.

Fambo Number Mive

Nearly finished the first series of Slinger's Day. It's quite naff and one note and the security chief character is a massive stereotype, but Forsyth, Vicky Licorish and Andrew Paul are very good in it. Love the theme tune as well.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: grainger on August 12, 2022, 09:06:06 PMI watched a bit of Slingers Day e1, and there a re a couple of scenes where Forsyth is dressing down the staff. Someone I know was at a celebrity charity golf match years ago. They were a kid at the time, and said something when Forsyth happened to be teeing off*. As I've been led to believe, he spun around and snarled "will someone tell that kid to shut up!". So it reminded me of that, really.

*And boy, was he teed off!

Took his golf very seriously. Sports journalist Giles Smith has mentioned that he was once partnered with the lantern-jawed wife-twirler in a pro-celebrity golf tournament where Brucie was irascible and unfriendly throughout because Smith had an off day which dragged Forsyth's score down.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 13, 2022, 12:23:38 PMAll I remember about Tripper's Day is that Rossiter played a second role as a tramp in one episode. This was mentioned a bit when he died.
Rossiter died very suddenly. He was found dead in his chair in his dressing room during the interval to a play he was appearing in.
Let us not forget Bruce Forsyth was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. He threatened the main child characters with a knife. Children's films were weird in those days.

It was in a revival of Orton's Loot, where he was playing Inspector Truscott - some of the archive footage of him, sporting a moustache in from that time. When Rossiter missed a cue in the second act, they realised something was wrong (which they may have mentioned on the DVD) - the understudy did the rest of the performance and the show did go on, IIRC.

The understudy did more performances until they brought in Dinsdale Landen - a few years later, Landen starred in an excellent BBC production of Orton's What the Butler Saw, which also featured Prunella Scales, Timothy West, a pre-Racquel Tessa Peake-Jones, Bryan Pringle  and Tyler Butterworth. Rather fortunately, it's since been repeated on BBC 4 and consequently, is easy to find online. If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on August 18, 2022, 06:56:03 PMNearly finished the first series of Slinger's Day. It's quite naff and one note and the security chief character is a massive stereotype, but Forsyth, Vicky Licorish and Andrew Paul are very good in it. Love the theme tune as well.

That's good to hear about the performances - I was wavering about whether to watch it again, but think I will now.

poodlefaker

See, "Tripper's Day" I get: it's a play on "day tripper", but "Slinger's Day"? Is a day slinger a thing? They could've called Brucie's character Derek Release.

Quote from: Virgo76 on August 13, 2022, 12:23:38 PMLet us not forget Bruce Forsyth was in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. He threatened the main child characters with a knife. Children's films were weird in those days.

Knife to see you, to see you... KNIFE!

Virgo76

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Oh, You're so much more scared than last week's children who I threatened with a knife

Don't worry, I know this is rubbish.

petril

TheMonk

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 19, 2022, 02:51:55 PMSee, "Tripper's Day" I get: it's a play on "day tripper", but "Slinger's Day"? Is a day slinger a thing? They could've called Brucie's character Derek Release.
Or Barry Ohwontyous

Lisa Jesusandmarychain