Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:06:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkingtons On Cinema podcast

Started by RickyGerbail, November 26, 2011, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Season 13 just started!

Spoiler alert
It's a morning show.
[close]

QDRPHNC

Tim Heidecker has always gone through periods of being skinnier or chubbier, but he's looking almost worryingly gaunt. Hope he's ok health-wise.

Noodle Lizard

I love how Gregg has somehow still managed to muster up some hope and enthusiasm; comes in blazing with his The Bucket List hats, only to have it completely squandered within about 20 seconds. Business as usual.

(Also I'm pretty sure I know that actress!)

QDRPHNC

I'm wondering where this whole VFA tours thing is going. The man playing G. Amato was wonderfully awkward. I also like it when they're arguing and Greg is wrong.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 26, 2022, 02:01:56 PMTim Heidecker has always gone through periods of being skinnier or chubbier, but he's looking almost worryingly gaunt. Hope he's ok health-wise.

QuoteYour one-stop show for movie expertise, music news, and celeb gossip is back, streaming now only on the HEI Network. On Cinema and More! In the Morning presented by the Amato Group with Hosts Tim Heidecker and Keyhli Amato and featuring Movie Expert Gregg Turkington will put a pep in your morning step! 

Watch Season 13 Ep 1 right now free for all viewers (no HEI Wall for ep 1) and tune in as episodes premiere Wednesdays at 8am EST for the rest of the season. 

And remember,

I'm Happy, I'm Healthy, I'm HEI!

QDRPHNC

True, I forgot about that. Could be misdirection though. His dramatic weight loss could also be plpt related, wouldn't put that last them.

famethrowa

I just cracked up in the kitchen thinking about Tim's Kitchen show, I think it started just before OCATC? Just 5 episodes of Tim making gross/bland sauces, making a mess and ruining Eric's day. All with the total solipsism and oafishness we've come to know and love.

Chollis

Quote from: famethrowa on November 06, 2022, 07:01:15 AMI just cracked up in the kitchen thinking about Tim's Kitchen show, I think it started just before OCATC? Just 5 episodes of Tim making gross/bland sauces, making a mess and ruining Eric's day. All with the total solipsism and oafishness we've come to know and love.

Everytime I'm mixing something in a bowl and a bit splashes out this pops into my head. Pissman's...

Operty1

Tim did a similar video where he was mixing his own signature cocktail for Maxim, the volume of drink he wastes/spills made me laugh.

Petey Pate

This seasons not really doing it for me so far. I'm sure they're building up to something but it does feel somewhat predictable how the Amato business will inevitably fail and there will be an accident involving the lithium mine. Tim's new co host is a pretty blank character, though I'm sure that's part of the point.

QDRPHNC

QuoteWe are happy to report that On Cinema Host and Music Expert Tim Heidecker is bringing the No More Bullshit / Very Good Band two-act tour across the pond to the UK and EU starting March 2023! The full band will be along for the ride including friend of On Cinema Vic Berger along with other certified rock stars.

As a HEI Member you get first access to tickets which you can purchase now before general tickets go on sale on Friday.

Petey Pate

This has definitely picked up. The reveal of
Spoiler alert
Tim's new teeth
[close]
and
Spoiler alert
the surveillance footage of Gregg
[close]
had me on the floor.

Shades of Alan Partridge too with the
Spoiler alert
repeated vomiting.
[close]

QDRPHNC

It's taking every ounce of will to not click the spoilers. The first episode was fine, but I haven't checked in since there. Glad to hear it's picked up at least.

badaids

Is there any way to see the latest episodes without a HEI subscription?

On Cinema remains one of my benchmarkers for people I know ibto comedy - if they don't like it I often feel a sense of disappointment in them. See also Nathan For You, Nirvanna and Eric Andre Show.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: badaids on December 01, 2022, 04:03:38 PMOn Cinema remains one of my benchmarkers for people I know ibto comedy - if they don't like it I often feel a sense of disappointment in them. See also Nathan For You, Nirvanna and Eric Andre Show.

Yes, for me it's the Pixies of comedy.

MrMrs

Quote from: badaids on December 01, 2022, 04:03:38 PMIs there any way to see the latest episodes without a HEI subscription?

On Cinema remains one of my benchmarkers for people I know ibto comedy - if they don't like it I often feel a sense of disappointment in them. See also Nathan For You, Nirvanna and Eric Andre Show.

all four are amazing. let's be pals

Stonefish

I just realised who Tim reminds me of. That bloke from Hale and Pace. Not him, the other one.

ajsmith2

Believe me when I say I ask this question in good faith and as a long term fan, but it's been a long time coming and I can stay silent no longer: as the OC saga goes on, I increasingly find it hard to suspend my disbelief as to one huge thing in the On Cinema universe, and that is this:

Why does Tim continue to work with Gregg time and again when he openly despises him and his movie buff agenda and doesn't seem to depend on him for anything?

There's a little more in-universe rationale for Gregg (who of course in turn doesn't much like Tim) still continuing to want to work with Tim as Tim usually holds the keys to/is the driver behind whatever format the OC show is currently taking so it make sense that Gregg would want to cling onto/muscle in on that and try and steer things back onto movies, but I can't see any reason why Tim (whose contempt for Gregg can barely be supressed even at the start of each season) would seemingly go out of his way to work with Gregg time and again.

It made more sense in the early days when it was a more slow burning parody of podcast host passive aggressiveness and the characters seemed more co dependant, but since Tim's character has exploded off off into all his other interests and affairs, it makes no sense why he'd continue to work with a man he can barely tolerate even at the best of times and who has no non-movie interests. Any thoughts? Or is it just a case where this unspoken absurdity has become part of the joke and you just have to suspend your disbelief?

famethrowa

I think Tim deep down really knows that the films are still the centre of his operation, but he doesn't "get" movies and still believes that Gregg is a real expert, he thinks Gregg will cover the movie stuff and keep the show credible. Plus it's kind of like bands that don't get on, aren't even good players, but they carry on for years and years because "that's the band" and "that's what works".

Stonefish

Quote from: ajsmith2 on December 06, 2022, 03:06:21 PMBelieve me when I say I ask this question in good faith and as a long term fan, but it's been a long time coming and I can stay silent no longer: as the OC saga goes on, I increasingly find it hard to suspend my disbelief as to one huge thing in the On Cinema universe, and that is this:

Why does Tim continue to work with Gregg time and again when he openly despises him and his movie buff agenda and doesn't seem to depend on him for anything?

There's a little more in-universe rationale for Gregg (who of course in turn doesn't much like Tim) still continuing to want to work with Tim as Tim usually holds the keys to/is the driver behind whatever format the OC show is currently taking so it make sense that Gregg would want to cling onto/muscle in on that and try and steer things back onto movies, but I can't see any reason why Tim (whose contempt for Gregg can barely be supressed even at the start of each season) would seemingly go out of his way to work with Gregg time and again.

It made more sense in the early days when it was a more slow burning parody of podcast host passive aggressiveness and the characters seemed more co dependant, but since Tim's character has exploded off off into all his other interests and affairs, it makes no sense why he'd continue to work with a man he can barely tolerate even at the best of times and who has no non-movie interests. Any thoughts? Or is it just a case where this unspoken absurdity has become part of the joke and you just have to suspend your disbelief?

Fed your question into the AI:

I think we're a long way off AI being good enough to appreciate this show.

Ron Superior

In case anyone else hadn't seen it, the Decker cartoon episode has now been put up on YouTube. It's fucking great fun:

BritishHobo

I think Tim likes the power he has over Gregg. He knows that On Cinema is the closest Gregg is ever going to get to presenting a movie-themed show, and he enjoys that whatever happens in his own personal life, he will always be in charge of the access to screentime that Gregg so much desires.

I also feel like there is a part of him that genuinely believes one day Gregg will fall in line and adhere to Tim's chosen structure for the show before being allowed to discuss films.

Stonefish

Quote from: Ron Superior on December 06, 2022, 10:57:46 PMIn case anyone else hadn't seen it, the Decker cartoon episode has now been put up on YouTube. It's fucking great fun:

Wow this is great, thanks!

Chollis

Yeah, really enjoyed that - wonder if we'll see anymore. Mark continues to provide the biggest laughs, nailing his blank expression even in animated form.

Pimhole

I quite fancy Tim Heidecker but there's too much of this stuff, I don't know where to start and most of it seems to be paywalled now so icba.

weaseldust

Quote from: Pimhole on December 07, 2022, 12:26:29 PMI quite fancy Tim Heidecker but there's too much of this stuff, I don't know where to start and most of it seems to be paywalled now so icba.

the majority is still free on youtube. there's a playlist here that makes it nice and easy to watch in order:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoNT68a21gfd6-vUS9GXG_MO1hkrdE6zu

i've always thought they should just have a simple website called 'on cinema .com' or something with a link to a playlist like this. i think the timeline website is confusing

Pimhole

Quote from: weaseldust on December 07, 2022, 12:37:28 PMthe majority is still free on youtube. there's a playlist here that makes it nice and easy to watch in order:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoNT68a21gfd6-vUS9GXG_MO1hkrdE6zu

Amazing, thank you! I wish I didn't have to watch things in strict chronological order BUT I DO.

weaseldust

oh absolutely, i feel the same way! on cinema works best that way as well