Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:04:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Heads up - Jasper Carrot's Comedy Coal Mine

Started by DonkeyRods, February 13, 2004, 08:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonkeyRods

BBC 1, 21:00, 24 Carrott Gold - Last month Jasper Carrott played to combined audiences of some 70,000 people, during his record-breaking run at Birmingham's National Indoor Arena. Now it's your chance to see what all the fuss was about as Jasper performs the very best bits from his unequalled comedy career, in 30 minutes' worth of non-stop stand-up, featuring some of the best monologue material ever performed.

Some of the best monologue material ever performed?! Who the hell writes these things? Scar-faced Carrot has made me titter on occasion, but most of the time he's only funny like your fat boss is when he drunkenly tells dirty jokes to girls half his age in nightclubs. At best. At worst he's a racist, sexist, obnoxious little shit.

Any Verbwhores going to watch this? What are your opinions on the Carrot?

Rats

No, I'm not going to watch this, at least I hope I'm not. He's a kids comedian isn't he? Like Harry Enfield. Neither are funny when you reach 14. Although, wierdly, people who reach 40 start to find both funny again.

Darrell

He used to be really good - it was only really that 'Back to the Front' stuff which didn't really cut it. I shall be watching this, certainly.

Boo to reusing the 24 Carrott Gold pun though, it confuses things with the early nineties live show of the same name.

All About Me aside, Jasper Carrott is great, and that's a fact.

Darrell

Quote from: "DonkeyRods"At worst he's a racist, sexist, obnoxious little shit.

Eh? Sorry, but that's bang out of order.

DonkeyRods

Quote from: "Darrell"

Maybe the 'shit' at the end was a little harsh, but I've noticed that racism and sexism have been part of his comedy toolkit on numerous occasions. Its just the sneering tone he delivers his jokes in, they are plain nasty insults rather than 'cutting' (sorry to use that word) observations.

Peking O

No, it's not. I remember watching in horror as he did some Christmas special about 5 years ago where he did some highly dubious material about people in Hong Kong restaurants, complete with accents and everything.

I'm pretty sure Iannucci wrote something in the Telegraph about Carrott's racism as well.

fbb bastard

jc is alright...mostly harmless as the good book says...he uses the snidey tone against everyone (see "the sun readers" stuff he used to do way back)

and for a while he was the bollox.....i remember enjoying his stuff hugely way back before he became a billionaire or something due to millionaire

he is obviously a morose bastard in real life though......fair play though..arent we all......see his daughter "dawn" was on the front of the mirror today and all

Rats

I went to the mirrors site to see if the dawn story was of any interest "dawn back with ex blah blah" but they've been doing some important research and they say that 70% of the people they polled didn't know the difference between ant nnnnnnn dec.

Quote"It's impossible to tell them apart," said Irene Murrell, 65, of Rugby. "It's like they're joined at the hip."

Nicole Cumberbatch, 10, from London added: "I love Ant and Dec. They're great, but I can't tell which one's which."

Jake Stoyle, 24, from Didsbury, Manchester, said: "Ant's the one who's going bald, isn't he - or is that the other one?"

Chris Hack, 27, from London admitted: "I only know them as a pair." Claire Baldwin, 22, from Cheshire, was one of the few who got it right. "Ant's the tall one," she said.

DonkeyRods

Did anyone watch it then? I was too busy playing that UT2K4 demo...

mangoliver

I seen a bit of it. Fucking awful, complete with bad chinaman jokes and "comedy" chinaman voice. 20 years out of date, and fucking Davidosn's on later.

Any half decent comedy with new talent the beeb seem to chuck on some obscure channel so it inevitably slips by without you noticing, but a few seventies dinosaurs regurgitaitng tripe jokes from 20+ yeras ago, that gets prime time BBC 1. Cunts.

Plank

Quote from: "mangoliver"I seen a bit of it. Fucking awful, complete with bad chinaman jokes and "comedy" chinaman voice. 20 years out of date, and fucking Davidosn's on later.

Eh? I thought he was taking the piss out of the idiots who take the piss out of Chinese waiters. Seriously, where has all this racism and sexism stuff come from? I'm not overly familiar with his 70's output, but he's quite obviously not a right wing Jim Davidson sort. Is he?

I think I'm defending him because he looks exactly like my dad. Seriously, it's scary.

megatwat

Jasper Carrot racist? Sorry, just don't see that. This recent show is a poor imitation of his older stuff though. He was great, even when I saw him live about 4 years ago. But something doesn't clcik in this one. The timing is off and not all there. It's like when you see Bob Dylan do his back catalogue these days. Almost almost always a disappointment. He should do new stuff (both of them I mean).

Lt Plonker

I saw Japser Carrott in Brentwood a few years ago and he was brilliant fun. I'm not sure myself that his material is racist. He was mimicking people who take the piss out of Chinese waiters.

Has anyone seen the live show he did in the 70's where he had a television on stage to prove it was live? Great stuff. I've got it on video somewhere.

Rats

No, I don't think he's racist. I mean, maybe some of his stuff could be labelled as racist but he's a comedian for god's sake, you can tell when somebody's doing out of spite like davidson. Carrot goes all over the shop, davidson does wogs and women.
He did used to be funny, I put it down to me growing up rather than him going shit because you see some of his older stuff on telly and it isn't very good is it?

Rev

I did used to find him funny, but there was a time in my life when I thought Police Academy was a rip-roaring chortle-fest.  

One thing you have to bear in mind about Jasper:  he doesn't write any of his material, he has a team of writers.  He's the Elvis of comedy.  If he was a performer with a capital P, then maybe that would be okay...  but he isn't, is he?

Darrell

Quote from: "Rev"he doesn't write any of his material

No, he does. It was only really the eighties when he got writers in to help him as he'd run out of new material. And they were good writers - Knight/Whitehill did some cracking stuff for him, and then more well-known folk such as Grant/Naylor too.

Nothing wrong with a standup having writers as far as I can see, as long as he's capable of doing stuff on his own, which Carrott clearly is.

Funky Gibbon

I actually liked Jasper Carrott until he hit the 'Jasper Carrott trial' shit. I still find some of his earlier anecdotal based material funny,  but I think he should have stopped long before 'The detectives'.

Rev

Quote from: "Rev"he doesn't write any of his material

No, he does. It was only really the eighties when he got writers in to help him as he'd run out of new material. And they were good writers - Knight/Whitehill did some cracking stuff for him, and then more well-known folk such as Grant/Naylor too.

Nothing wrong with a standup having writers as far as I can see, as long as he's capable of doing stuff on his own, which Carrott clearly is.

Are you sure he's reverted to writing his own stuff these days?  Mind you, all he seems to do now is crank out these retrospective type dealies, so it's all academic.  As for standups having writers...  it just jars, and as I said, if they're particularly superb performers who lack ideas, then maybe - MAYBE - it's justified.  But Jasper's an affable, functional joke-teller, and that's it.

Gazeuse

I've certainly not heard any racist stuff from Carrott. His first series was truly groundbreaking. In a time when The Comedians was on with fellers just telling joke after unrelated joke, Jasper came along with observational stuff, paving the way for many others.

Although it's not really my sort of thing, the second series of All About Me was much better than the first. (The music was still fucking great though!!!).

Mister Six

Don't buy into this racist angle at all, but then again I haven't seen any of his material for years. I'm sure I would have noticed though, being overly sensitive to such stuff way back when.

Jasper Carrott is turning into a turtle. FACT.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

We all owe Carrott a huge debt - along with Billy Connolly and Dave Allen, he rescued stand-up from the frilly-shirted 'Bloke goes into a pub' Bernard Manning types and made a particular type of observational/anecdotal material popular. This was years before the alternative boom.

Get his old albums - up to and including Cosmic Carrott (1986), they're all brilliant.

'Racist'? What are you *talking* about?

megatwat

QuoteI think he should have stopped long before 'The detectives'.

Woah, woah, woah- the detectives was great. A different thing completely to his standup of course, but great none the less.

king mob

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"We all owe Carrott a huge debt - along with Billy Connolly and Dave Allen, he rescued stand-up from the frilly-shirted 'Bloke goes into a pub' Bernard Manning types and made a particular type of observational/anecdotal material popular. This was years before the alternative boom.

Get his old albums - up to and including Cosmic Carrott (1986), they're all brilliant.

'Racist'? What are you *talking* about?

I hadnt thought about Dave Allen in years til reading that comment there,he was wonderful & really did a lot to push limits when he was on tv.
Is he still alive & if so whats he doing now?

As for Carrot being racist, thats nonsense.

Robot DeNiro

Quote from: "cairnsi"if anyone wants to buy it?

what a mistake-a to make-a.

cairnsi

Edited by Neil - Sorry, absolutely no buying or selling on here.

european son

Quote from: "cairnsi"no mistake MATE!

i think the point Robot was trying to make, palooka, was that in signing up here you clicked agree to this:

QuoteCook'd and Bomb'd - Registration Agreement Terms

The one major rule is that the forums are not used to buy and sell stuff, under any circumstance. Other than that, just dont act like a fanny, basically. Try not to quote huge reams of text just so you can add a one-line response underneath. That sort of thing.

I Agree to these terms.

this added to the fact that being your first (and only) posts, it looks like you've just signed up here to flog stuff.

it annoys the people who make the place (fair enough, seeing as they could make a few quid pimping the space out for ads but don't).