Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,008,256
  • Total Topics: 95,387
  • Online Today: 633
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 18, 2022, 03:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

Re: Farmers!

I think it is because having a man using a voice box yell FARMERS! is funny.

Most of what happens in IAP1 is there because it's funny, so always the best explanation.

Mr Trumpet

Quote from: Solid Jim on July 25, 2022, 08:11:25 PMWhen Chris Feather dies, Alan says "oh no!" twice. The first utterance is jocular, playing along with a perceived joke; the second more stilted, with an unnatural emphasis on the 'oh'. In between, there is therefore a brief moment when he hangs on to the vain hope that Chris really is joking, but is inexplicably waiting for Alan to say "oh no" with the correct cadence before the joke can be over.

It's dawning on Alan that something might actually be wrong, and he regrets his initial jocular tone and is trying to cover for it by sounding more concerned, even though he's not sure what's going on. Whether he's trying to keep up appearances in front of Feather or is, as ever, playing to an imaginary audience is unclear.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: shoulders on July 26, 2022, 01:21:38 PMRe: Farmers!
I think it is because having a man using a voice box yell FARMERS! is funny.

Not to be dull (I'm being dull), but I'm sure it's there as bit of exposition for the audience. It's also very funny, so it's good exposition.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on July 26, 2022, 01:51:26 PMIt's dawning on Alan that something might actually be wrong, and he regrets his initial jocular tone and is trying to cover for it by sounding more concerned, even though he's not sure what's going on. Whether he's trying to keep up appearances in front of Feather or is, as ever, playing to an imaginary audience is unclear.

I love the panicked, "Err Chris yer dead!"

Also, how Alan deals with it in I, Patridge, sowing the seeds of Chris Feather's poor health and some mysterious affliction of his writing hand.

shoulders

It's 'Err... Hello Chris, are yer deaaaad?' in lieu of knowing even slightly what to do.

It's particularly funny as he directs it into one of Chris's ears as though by doing so some bit of Chris that's still alive might hear.

Solid Jim

Quote from: shoulders on July 26, 2022, 06:11:19 PMIt's 'Err... Hello Chris, are yer deaaaad?' in lieu of knowing even slightly what to do.

Echoes of "Sorted" from The Day Today. He forgot the crotch-punching, but still, kudos to Alan for remembering official government advice in a moment of crisis.

Bennett Brauer

'There's a grave over there of a man who died in 1872, and he was only three.'

gmoney

"There's a chap over there wearing jeans... chap of about 6?

petril