Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New Comics Thread 2017+ Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, October 13, 2017, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 05, 2022, 11:30:53 AMIs the Jason Statham vs Godzilla comic "All Flee!"? I can't find much about it online, but it seems to only be a one issue run, unless the internet is lying to me yet again.

As individual issues it was just called 'Godzilla' but there's a collection of all 13 issues called History's Greatest Monster. Starts with the Statham character cooking poached eggs during a kaiju attack and running out of his apartment block like ME FAKKIN EGGS. Don't expect anything too subtle, obviously.

Simon Gane once swapped me a copy of the collection for one of my shoddy self-published efforts at a con, he's a good lad.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on August 05, 2022, 12:00:33 PMAs individual issues it was just called 'Godzilla' but there's a collection of all 13 issues called History's Greatest Monster. Starts with the Statham character cooking poached eggs during a kaiju attack and running out of his apartment block like ME FAKKIN EGGS. Don't expect anything too subtle, obviously.

Simon Gane once swapped me a copy of the collection for one of my shoddy self-published efforts at a con, he's a good lad.

Cool, thanks for all that, I've put it on my Amazon Wish List and will definitely pick it up at some point this year.

Bently Sheds

Received my copy of Geezer by Philip Bond and Will Potter today, in a very nice replica record bag.

Geezer is the story of a fictional 90s band on the fringes of Britpop, written by one of the members of Cud (a 90s band on the fringes of Britpop).

The fact it says #1 on the cover leads me to hope that Bond & Potter would be open to producing more issues. As with all Philip Bond stuff, the art's packed with lovely little details & the story has some nice cameos from figures from 90s era indie music. It's a cracking read if you're familiar with the music and bands of that time.

Mister Six

Alberon

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Mister Six on August 05, 2022, 10:31:59 PMOoh, I hadn't heard of this. Cheers!
It was a Kickstarter project, but Will Potter's tweeted that copies will be available to purchase from Off Register Press in due course.

Small Man Big Horse

I was in WH Smiths Victoria yesterday and it seems like David Quantick's got a comic out - https://theshift.store/products/croix-noire-1 - Only flicked through it and the art seems okay, though I've no idea about the script.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on August 09, 2022, 10:30:41 AMART DIRECTED BY MIKE BATT???

I didn't look at the website in detail yesterday, but it looks like his is based on a novel Quantick wrote, Batt has adapted it, and presumably the "Art Directed" bit is Batt's ego going crazy as he's maybe unaware that describing what you want the artist to draw is part of the job of a comics writer? I may be wrong and he does more behind the scenes (standing their, whipping Mike Collins if he draws something Batt doesn't like?) but I fear we may never find out.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 09, 2022, 01:37:51 PMI didn't look at the website in detail yesterday, but it looks like his is based on a novel Quantick wrote, Batt has adapted it, and presumably the "Art Directed" bit is Batt's ego going crazy as he's maybe unaware that describing what you want the artist to draw is part of the job of a comics writer? I may be wrong and he does more behind the scenes (standing their, whipping Mike Collins if he draws something Batt doesn't like?) but I fear we may never find out.

It's a prog rock album by Batt and Jean-Charles Capelli.

They then got Quantick to write a novella about it. Then got Collins to make a comic. And apparently there's a videogame too. It all seems designed to fail.

Quantick & Shaky Kane's "That's Because You're A Robot" was a pretty good comic though.

Small Man Big Horse

Thanks for all of the above, that's really quite bizarre, but fascinating to read about.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 09, 2022, 03:39:05 PMThanks for all of the above, that's really quite bizarre, but fascinating to read about.

It's almost exactly the sort of thing that you want to hear that Mike Batt is making, but also you don't necessarily want to hear/read it yourself.

elliszeroed

At one point, in the far past, didn't Gaiman say he would finish his Miriacleman arc?

samadriel

13 schoolyards

It'll be very interesting to see if things change any from Gaiman's planned arc from 25 years ago. IIRC it was basically
Spoiler alert
Miracleman Jr, feeling lost and adrift in this strange new world, decides to go and find the one person he thinks might understand his problems: Kid Miracleman. Bringing KM back does not go well.
[close]

Supposedly a big reason for the delay was that Marvel wasn't entirely sure they had all the rights to all the side characters like the Warpsmiths, and Gaiman's arc needed them so that
Spoiler alert
KM could brutally murder them all, taking things up a notch from simply wiping out London back in the good old days
[close]

Dayraven

Picking up mid-arc from your own work 25 years ago would feel quite strange, I'd imagine.

Mister Six

Gets Gaiman out of having to think up too much new material, though, which must be a relief to him.

samadriel

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on August 13, 2022, 08:11:26 AMIt'll be very interesting to see if things change any from Gaiman's planned arc from 25 years ago. IIRC it was basically
Spoiler alert
Miracleman Jr, feeling lost and adrift in this strange new world, decides to go and find the one person he thinks might understand his problems: Kid Miracleman. Bringing KM back does not go well.
[close]

Supposedly a big reason for the delay was that Marvel wasn't entirely sure they had all the rights to all the side characters like the Warpsmiths, and Gaiman's arc needed them so that
Spoiler alert
KM could brutally murder them all, taking things up a notch from simply wiping out London back in the good old days
[close]

Spoiler alert
Huh, sounds a bit repetitive, I hope it's better than it sounds. I liked that the "Golden Age" was so advanced that it was effectively invincible to threats like KM, it meant that Neil had to be really creative to come up with stories,  and couldn't just pump in bad guys.  Maybe he felt that he'd written himself into a corner?
[close]

13 schoolyards

I think Gaiman's return may suffer a bit from an excess of anticipation. Presumably he's just doing three books of six issues each as he originally planned, and he's already pretty much halfway done so it's not like we're finally getting Big Numbers completed or anything.

Considering the pacing of what we've seen of bk.2, it wouldn't surprise me at all if
Spoiler alert
we got four more issues of Young Miracleman feeling alienated and going on a quest to restore his old buddy KM, bk.2 ends with a full page reveal of KM being alive again (and maybe killing YM), and then bk.3 - which Gaiman revealed right from the stage would be called "The Dark Age" and would be set hundreds of years later - is just everything in ruins and MM trying to get his act together to take down his old friend one last time.

Plotting has never been Gaiman's strongest point though - it's all in the execution (of half the galaxy by KM).
[close]

Dayraven

Spoiler alert
I'd hope there's a fair bit of emphasis on the Golden Age rotting from the inside, rather than a purely external threat. It's already there in things like the Bates worshippers, the mishandling of Young Miracleman, and just the general fact that for all its wonders, the world isn't run by human choice anymore.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

I, Vampire (New 52 Version) Vol. 1, Vol. 2 -  This improved as it went along, it's essentially a horror comic set in the DC universe as vampire with a soul Andrew Bennett tries to defeat his evil ex-girlfriend Mary and her vampire army, and there's cameos from various well known characters like John Constantine, Shade The Changing Man, Zatanna, Batman, and Stormwatch, the writing is sometimes patchy but the art is nearly always gorgeous. 3.75/5

I, Vampire (New 52 Version) Vol. 3 - And then it became really terrible,
Spoiler alert
as Andrew Bennett became evil, Mary became good, and suddenly it took itself far too seriously, with the evil Andrew
[close]
one of the dullest villains I've ever seen in a comic. Worst of all was the trite dialogue from all of the characters, the plotting became lazy and tiresome, and thankfully it was cancelled with issue 19 but if it hadn't I wouldn't have bought another issue. I can't remember the last time something became so shitty so quickly, but yeesh, this ends so badly I wouldn't bother reading a second of it. 1.5/5

Small Man Big Horse

Spider-Man & Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do - Another cheap charity shop purchase, and thank fuck for that as the Kevin Smith penned nonsense is horrible on so many levels. I mean the writing is appalling (Spider-Man's investigating Heroin dealing and uses about ten hilariously odd slang phrases for the drug in the first issue), while it's sexist cuntery of the highest order too. Take this bit for example with Black Cat in the shower:

And the only reason it's Not Safe For Work is that she appears to have accidentally washed off her nipples. Also she's thinking about her days of a criminal stating "You've washed your hair clean of that lifestyle" while actually washing her hair - because Smith may be the worst comics writer in the history of the medium.

Admittedly I've only read the first issue but I do plan to finish the book off, if only as I'm fascinated as to see how much worse it's going to get.

madhair60

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 26, 2022, 11:25:47 AMSmith may be the worst comics writer in the history of the medium.

sadly not even close

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: madhair60 on August 26, 2022, 12:20:35 PMsadly not even close

I might have been a little hyperbolic there but he'd be in my top 10 (though bar Mark Millar I'm not quite sure who else I'd include - out of interest, who would you say is the very worst?

Magnum Valentino

Maybe it's fair to say Smith is the worst who was given the gigs he got because he'd cred from another medium?

Have you seen his Daredevil? The amount of words on each page is ridiculous. You'd think a filmmaker would know something about telling a story visually.

There's your overdue reminder that Magnum Valentino HATES Kevin Smith!

madhair60

No idea who I'd call the worst. There are plenty of Marvel and DC writers whose work I find witless, but that's not always their fault as I assume they're under rigorous editorial strictures.

Hot take: I quite like Mark Millar as an ideas guy, which seems to be his main thing - coming up with a concept and selling it to Hollywood.

Mister Six

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 26, 2022, 04:34:28 PMMaybe it's fair to say Smith is the worst who was given the gigs he got because he'd cred from another medium?

Have you seen his Daredevil? The amount of words on each page is ridiculous. You'd think a filmmaker would know something about telling a story visually.

I'll see your Kevin Smith and raise you an Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones.

The comic might actually be good, but I saw that page and resolved never to find out.

Quote from: madhair60 on August 26, 2022, 06:46:23 PMHot take: I quite like Mark Millar as an ideas guy, which seems to be his main thing - coming up with a concept and selling it to Hollywood.

I think that's a pretty solid take. But really, almost anyone can have a good idea - what determines a good or bad writer is whether they can expand that idea into something readable. Millar can't, and I hate that he so obviously shits out these hacky, deliberately provocative comics then waits for someone talented like Jane Goldman to come along and turn the core idea into something decent.

There are definitely worse writers than him, mind you. They're just writing such unremarkable dross that nobody remembers them or their comics.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 26, 2022, 04:34:28 PMMaybe it's fair to say Smith is the worst who was given the gigs he got because he'd cred from another medium?

There's your overdue reminder that Magnum Valentino HATES Kevin Smith!

I haven't seen his Daredevil, but after his run on Spider-man there's no way I'll pick it up even if it's a quid in a charity shop, as like you I really have no time for the man. The only reason I started reading this was because I once liked his work (well, the early twenties version of me really loved Clerks and Mallrats, though I haven't seen them since their release) but like you I can't stand the man now.

As for Millar, perhaps it's unfair of me to have included him in the top 10 list, but I really didn't like his run on Dredd, or his work on The Authority which took a comic I enjoyed and made it barely readable, and Clint was so bad it made me embarrassed to read comics, so I've avoided him as much as possible since.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on August 26, 2022, 06:57:23 PMI'll see your Kevin Smith and raise you an Emilia Clarke from Game of Thrones.

Ha, yeah, some of it made me wince a huge amount, I'll probably check out the rest of the first issue online out of interest though, and see what direction it takes.

QuoteThere are definitely worse writers than him, mind you. They're just writing such unremarkable dross that nobody remembers them or their comics.

I think you've got a point there, I mean I look at the DC comics I used to buy in the eighties and can barely remember a single thing about some of them. But of the graphic novels I've read in the last couple of years I really thought Jason Rand's Small Gods was terrible, Cy Dethan's Cancertown rips off Hellblazer to a ridiculous extent and is very bad, and Scott Snyder's Swamp Thing run is an embarrassment, and one which almost spoilt Jeff Lemire's run on Animal Man due to the crossover. Oh, and while I think Garth Ennis is responsible for some of the best Hellblazer issues, his The Pro and The Authority spin-off Kev (and the other two books) stink to high fucking heaven.

madhair60

I'm a huge Ennis fan, adore his work. Can't honestly discriminate. The Pro is not great, no, but it is just a stupid little story, nothing more than that. I haven't read his Authority stuff but I think I'd enjoy it. He seems to have a few different modes, his edgy stuff with no point, his edgy stuff with a point, and his war comics. I enjoy all of them