Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

the end of civilisation/putty question

Started by fbb bastard, February 19, 2004, 09:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbb bastard

firstly....oh for fuck sake....its getting a second series.....

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/feb04/one.html

secondly....just started reading the already infamous sunshine on putty....was aware of the errors and stuff but "when roland the student married pauline calf" made me throw the book down on the floor with disgust....is there any other stinkers of a similar magnitude further on to be wary of?

Darrell

QuoteThe channel has also ordered a new sitcom from Simon Nye, the writer behin Men Bhaving Badly, The Savages and Hardware.

He says the new show, Carrie and Barrie, is 'an unapologetically rude comedy series about a couple with the usual things on their minds - sex, but not any old sex, work, the walking nightmare that is a teenage stepchild and how to get the most out of your hot-tub'.

BBC1 comedies already commissioned for 2004 include further series of My Family and My Hero.

And Paul O'Grady is returning in a second series of Eyes Down, the critically slated sitcom set in a Liverpool bingo palace.

Meanwhile, My Family creator Fred Barron is working on a new show for BBC1: Everything I Know About Men.

Who'd have thought BBC1 could single-handedly make comedy depressing?

benthalo

Quoteis there any other stinkers of a similar magnitude further on to be wary of?

Many more to look forward to - a total misremembering of the dates and content of Noel's House Party, which ruins his argument at one point, plus an alarmingly innacurate account of parts of Brass Eye.

fbb bastard

Quote from: "benthalo"
Quoteplus an alarmingly innacurate account of parts of Brass Eye.

i thought as much.....i was expecting "peter duncan the musical/michael grade is cute" fuck ups....to be honest its not actually that bad a book overall (imho etc etc).....some interesting ideas and takes on things so far....the errors though are shocking as is some of the almost insults.....doon and rebecca front should have him killed ......

Neil

"Michael Grade is cute"  - That's hilarious fat bob!  

I went over to Chortle there for a sniff, just for something different to do in between watching WHTT Likely Lads episodes.  Clocked the Amazon adverts round the place, and then noticed an advert for Sunshine On Putty, so I thought I'd have a read to see if they praise it just to get cash from book sales.  To their credit, they slate it, quite an interesting read actually:

Quote from: "[urlhttp://www.chortle.co.uk/books/bkfeatures/sunshine.html[/url]"]
And for all his linguistic grandstanding ­ he must have been paid by the word for his original articles - his analogies are often simply wrong. "When something starts at the peak of conceptual perception that was Shooting Stars' base camp, there is only one way to go. And that is not up," he writes. But up is exactly where you go from a base camp.
This next bit reminds me of Tom Paulins review of Clone Wars
For most people, Ali G's reference to the 'terrible events of 7/11' would be dismissed as a cheap pun, but for Thompson it's not only a reference to "capitalism's capacity for making a fast buck out of unthinkable horror but also to the ever-tightening grip of the US military-capitalist complex". Err, right.