Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:56:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

madhair60

New thread cos old one is at the big hundo

Direct just happened, tons of cool shit announced with a slant towards retrogaming chuds like me. SNES online, Doom 64 (THIS IS HUGE), Xenoblade remaster. Rest of the year for Switch looking fit with Luigi, Pokémon, Daemon X etc.

Beagle 2

SNES games tomorrow, just like that. Point in keeping them up their sleeve for so long? It's a really lovely selection anyway, oooh even just being able to blast a bit of Super Tennis. 

Also looking forward to Jedi Knight II.

I'm delighted I bought an Xbox, it really brought home how much I love my Switch and can't be arsed to play any other console.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 05, 2019, 02:13:57 PM
SNES games tomorrow, just like that. Point in keeping them up their sleeve for so long? It's a really lovely selection anyway, oooh even just being able to blast a bit of Super Tennis. 

Also looking forward to Jedi Knight II.

I'm delighted I bought an Xbox, it really brought home how much I love my Switch and can't be arsed to play any other console.

They kept them up their sleeve so they could encourage people to keep their subs going as they launched Switch Online last September. It's no coincidence that they announced SNES, Overwatch, two + Smash Bros. characters, daily Tetris 99 challenges and an F2P Kirby Kirby game just as everyone's subs are running out.

Beagle 2

How much do the SNES games factor in to anybody's reckoning though? I've never played Overwatch so I'm pretty excited about that.

It's a sweetener more than anything. To make £17.99 a year not seem like a big deal.

Twed

Thursday

Deadly Cunting Premonition 2? Maybe the gameplay won't be interminable dog shite this time.

buntyman

Really impressed with all the recent announcements and now new Tetris content in top of all that! I hear there's a big update for binding of Isaac coming soon too, would really recommend picking that up in the sale of anyone's yet to get it for the switch.

Annoyingly, during this peak time for the switch I've been having problems with my right joycon in handheld mode disconnecting intermittently. It seems like quite a few people have had this problem but can't find a working solution online and don't even know if it's the console or the joycon that is at fault. It's really annoying and has cost we a good few Tetris wins. Any ideas?

colacentral

Of course the Pokemon set in the UK has a currydex. Should be a rice and chips option though.

Fell asleep at 9 because I was knackered. Woke up twenty minutes ago, SNES games are up and really great playing SMK in handheld. First time I ever really played Yoshi's Island too and it seems great. I recently emulated a lot of this stuff through the PS Classic and this is well better.

Kelvin

Beagle 2

Right, what the fuck is going on, I can see the SNES games but I can't download them, there's just no download box on the right hand side to select. I've even renewed my online membership early and changed my region back to the UK but nah. This is bullshit.

It's very early, it's possible I'm a moron.

Have you tried going down to Nintendo Switch Online section of the eShop and downloading the SNES app from there?

Bang us a screenshot of what's happening.

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 06, 2019, 06:56:33 AM
Right, what the fuck is going on, I can see the SNES games but I can't download them, there's just no download box on the right hand side to select. I've even renewed my online membership early and changed my region back to the UK but nah. This is bullshit.

It's very early, it's possible I'm a moron.

Go to the Nintendo Switch Online tab in the eShop, then go back to the store and it should work.

Fucked if I know why

Beagle 2

Right, yes that worked. Odd.

I have SNES games. I need D-Pad joy con NOW.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Kelvin on September 06, 2019, 02:17:33 AM
Do you ever think Nintendo might just be taking the piss?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdoVBbZ0Z9o

♪♪♪ Da da lang dang dang da da dang dang da lang dang ♪♪♪
♪♪♪ Shiny happy people holding rings ♪♪♪

Beagle 2

Spent a lovely afternoon playing through Pilotwings and making a bit of progress on Mario World, a game I've never really got on with. I really want to play a proper beat em up now though, I guess Mortal Kombat and SFII are unlikely to appear due to licencing?

No chance for either. SF 30th Anniversary Collection is on sale occasionally, but obviously still around fifteen quid. Amazing package, though. USF2 is also available and great, albeit not comparable to the collection.

madhair60

SFII could absolutely appear and I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

You reckon? After all the Capcom compilations and multiple releases already on the Switch? Seems like they'd be cannibalising future sales unless Nintendo were paying them fat dollar.

Kelvin

Yeah, I agree with Bosto; games which have, or are likely to get, a separate release on the console are unlikely to arrive on the Online Service. Capcom's Mega Man games never got released on the NES online service, for example, presumably because they too were available via a collection.

In fact, I'm not sure how many great 3rd party SNES games you can expect at this point. Even Chrono Trigger has releases on mobile etc, which they might not want to cannibalise. Maybe the Mortal Kombats, if they don't have a collection planned? Maybe Super Bomberman? Earthworm Jim?

Another problem is that so many of the SNES era's best 3rd party games were licenced; it's unlikely you'll get any of them at this stage.

Swoz_MK

Mario World - I've opened the special world, do you do that before Bowser? That's where I am right now

Thanks, Gamesmaster.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 09, 2019, 02:13:59 AM
Yeah, I agree with Bosto; games which have, or are likely to get, a separate release on the console are unlikely to arrive on the Online Service. Capcom's Mega Man games never got released on the NES online service, for example, presumably because they too were available via a collection.

I thought Mega Man 2 was on there (possibly thinking of the NES Classic), but either way I would be shocked if at least one version of SFII didn't show up.

Beagle 2

madhair60

Twed

Quote from: Swoz_MK on September 09, 2019, 08:41:32 AM
Mario World - I've opened the special world, do you do that before Bowser? That's where I am right now

Thanks, Gamesmaster.
You can. You're in danger of turning the entire game ugly though.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on September 09, 2019, 03:02:15 PM
You can. You're in danger of turning the entire game ugly though.

God, yes. Save using the online service (as opposed to in-game) before you complete the final secret level.

Thursday

The introduction of SNES games does suddenly make the onlie service pretty damn reasonable, doesn't it. Now give me N64 games too.

Sebastian Cobb

I've just seen an advert for the 'lite' version. It's a hundred quid cheaper but is basically just a handheld; no joycon support or tv mode, which is a shame as if they were doing a cut down option it's ditching the screen I'd be after.

Thursday

I mean, that's why it's a cheaper option though.