Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,999,176
  • Total Topics: 95,082
  • Online Today: 496
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 10, 2022, 06:07:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Richard Herring getting twitchy in lockdown: 2020

Started by MojoJojo, June 05, 2020, 02:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twilkes

A few nuggets in the recent blog - RHLSTP (or possibly podcasts in general) currently makes up the bulk of his income; a recent month had a million downloads for RHLSTP; and guests get a fee of £500 (assuming this is a flat fee and not dependent on who the guest is).

His blog continues to be probably the most revealing thing he does (hopefully not painfully so for his children as they get older, although judging by their current behaviour they are chips off the Cheddar block), and he also appeared as a guest on a dog-walking-chat-blog, which is an interesting listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/walking-the-dog-with-emily-dean/id1220510307?i=1000571076117

Vague threats of doing another standup show/tour again, wouldn't blame him if he didn't though.

gib

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 30, 2022, 10:03:07 PMFirst RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.

Yeah, that one really worked as an episode, they clicked instantly and were chatting like mates. Kunt is great, i love his low effort podcast 'Acceptable in the 80s'

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on August 01, 2022, 11:12:26 AMI'm not a subscriber and the whole article is showing for me.

The 'four series of Fist of Fun' bit is weird, but maybe it's the Telegraph sub combining the TMWRNJ series.

I liked

Yes this caught my eye, i guess it must be that. 13 eps in each run as i remember, so 2500 per episode. Not bad, but look at how much Sky were prepared to throw at him for just writing, not performing. Now we know why many top comedians were prepared to work for them, eye-watering money for something that was bound to be unmemorable in the future.

BeardFaceMan

I don't want to know how much David Baddiel got for Baddiel's Syndrome, I think it might make me cry.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 02, 2022, 12:07:20 AMYes this caught my eye, i guess it must be that. 13 eps in each run as i remember, so 2500 per episode. Not bad, but look at how much Sky were prepared to throw at him for just writing, not performing.

Another £750,000 for playing the postman.

markburgle

Quote from: Mobbd on August 01, 2022, 09:13:55 PM(£10k is more normal, many authors forced to accept as little as £200. He's mentioned elsewhere that he never makes the advance back for the publishers.)

The publisher might still end up in profit though, is that right? If his deal is he makes 50p per copy and the publishers taking is £2.50, he may not sell enough to pay back the advance at 50p per copy but the publisher might still end up in profit with their cut of it

Mobbd

Quote from: markburgle on August 03, 2022, 11:48:39 AMThe publisher might still end up in profit though, is that right? If his deal is he makes 50p per copy and the publishers taking is £2.50, he may not sell enough to pay back the advance at 50p per copy but the publisher might still end up in profit with their cut of it

That could be true! I am more used to a profit-sharing model but what you say is actually more traditional. Very fair point.

MrMrs

Quote from: Twilkes on August 01, 2022, 10:08:36 PMA few nuggets in the recent blog - RHLSTP (or possibly podcasts in general) currently makes up the bulk of his income; a recent month had a million downloads for RHLSTP; and guests get a fee of £500 (assuming this is a flat fee and not dependent on who the guest is).

His blog continues to be probably the most revealing thing he does (hopefully not painfully so for his children as they get older, although judging by their current behaviour they are chips off the Cheddar block),

Why, what have his kids been up to?

sutin

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 30, 2022, 10:03:07 PMFirst RHLSTP worth listening to in absolute aeons came out this week. Really enjoyable chat with Kunt from Kunt and the Gang. Comes across as a really sound, naturally funny bloke.

That was my favourite episode in ages. I still listen to every new RHLSTP, I find it comforting or something.

Twilkes

Quote from: MrMrs on August 03, 2022, 11:15:12 PMWhy, what have his kids been up to?

Lots of kid stuff - just meant that they probably won't turn into shrinking violets that will be embarrassed at having their father's (and to a lesser extent their own) inner and outer monologues broadcast in perpetuity on the internet. His daughter sometimes pops up in the Twitch of Fun trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikPlrMPiXbg.

I'm very unsure of people putting their children online when they're too young to realise the possible implications of it later in life - Katherine Ryan was notoriously protective of her daughter whereas some professional 'Youtube families' share pretty much everything in video format on a daily basis - but RH maybe has the balance right.