Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Psycho Goreman (2021)

Started by sirhenry, January 22, 2021, 09:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

Just been made aware of this as it's released today. It looks gloriously 80's cheesy horror (Guyver and Power Rangers keep being mentioned in reviews), so that's my weekend viewing sorted.

Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3dFm_Vm528

How come it's not been mentioned here before?[nb]I did look, honest[/nb]

Hand Solo

Very decent for what it is, trying to be a faithful recreation of shitty 80s kids' monster movies. I was amazed by the time and budget: It was shot in Chicago, Illinois on 16mm in less than a month with a budget of $110,000.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Hand Solo on January 24, 2021, 11:05:05 PM
Very decent for what it is, trying to be a faithful recreation of shitty 80s kids' monster movies. I was amazed by the time and budget: It was shot in Chicago, Illinois on 16mm in less than a month with a budget of $110,000.

I shouldn't have said "shitty 80s kids' monster movies", I'd had a drink and wasn't very articulate - I just meant it's a mash-up in the vain of those campy monster movies that were very popular at the time like Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Spaced Invaders, Harry And The Hendersons, Monster Squad etc, and it helps immensely it's not been done in a knowing way that's been very popular for low-budget movies to purposefully look like shit for cheap yuks and tends to drive me up the wall. It's recreates the kind campy fun atmosphere of those old movies and plays it straight rather than 'ha ha, wink-wink, we're actually taking the piss here'.

Incidentally a documentary on Monster Squad came out a while ago: Wolfman's Got Nards

Rev+

S'alright, I suppose.  The set-up is great:  an immensely powerful space bastard lands on Earth and, through the use of a powerful widget, is immediately controlled by an absolute arsehole of a child.  She is a right arsehole, mind.

It just falls into that horror-comedy hole of not being particularly good at either.  It also feels like something was lost in a rewrite at some point - there's a theme of bad parenting, and the kids think that just sticking a TV in the monster's room will be enough to keep him happy.  There's a whole lot of wandering about in the woods from the halfway point, which does seem a bit like filming stuff as a replacement for stuff they weren't able to film.

Artie Fufkin

Watched this on Sunday. Great stuff, I thought. Some genuine LOLS. Particularly
Spoiler alert
"I don't CARE for hunky boys........or DO I?"
[close]
along with the
Spoiler alert
awkward dinner scene at the end. Poor Blob/Alastair.
[close]
It was just the right side of cheese. Could imagine Peter Jackson making that, back in the day. And yes, the girl is a complete bitch.

madhair60

Enjoyed this once I clicked with it.

Hand Solo

Jesus Shows You The Way To The Highway looks like it might be a similar tone low budget 80s retro-a-thon, though I haven't watched it yet, looks like it might veer dangerously close to The Greasy Strangler territory.

phantom_power

It is much more odd and inventive I would say, and less gross. Very low budget though

QDRPHNC

Going to be watching this tonight with the boy. He has a high tolerance for gore.

SteveDave

I really liked this but thought the mum and dad characters were too wacky for want of a better word. The dad's first few bits were good when he was being sarcastic or outright lying but towards the end it was like they'd written the part to be played as an avatar for the viewer and he was commenting on the film in a detached way.

The little girl was an incredible actress. She really played a little dickhead really well.

The PG costume reminded me of some other low budget horror/sci-fi film I've seen in the last 20 years but I can't put my finger on what it was though. I liked it when they dressed him in "normal" clothes which turned out to be the exact same thing that Sam Neill wore in "Jurassic Park"

petercussing

I enjoyed this, was funny and nice

Quote from: Hand Solo on January 24, 2021, 11:05:05 PM

That's crazy as hell, the effect are pretty decent

Famous Mortimer

I just watched this, and absolutely loved it. I'm familiar with Astron-6's older stuff, which is maybe why I enjoyed it a lot more than some people in this thread? Don't know. But it was really good!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 25, 2022, 02:06:26 AMI just watched this, and absolutely loved it. I'm familiar with Astron-6's older stuff, which is maybe why I enjoyed it a lot more than some people in this thread? Don't know. But it was really good!

I'm absolutely with you there, I was surprised I hadn't already posted in this thread but then remembered I took a short break from the site in early 2021. Anyhow, it's something that made me laugh a huge amount, very funny, very silly, and nearly always impressively creative, it was definitely one of the films I enjoyed the most last year.

Stonefish

Ha this seemed like the just the sort of thing they'd review on Red Letter Media and when I googled it found that Rich Evans does one of the voices in the film!

bakabaka

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 25, 2022, 10:02:36 AMI was surprised I hadn't already posted in this thread
Almost none of my threads ever made it past the second post, so I wasn't expecting this one to do any more.

Just one of the many reasons I killed off Sir Henry.

But it's good to see that I'm not the only one who loved this film; it was just so full of the joy of making it.

Ron Superior

Loved the fucked up cop that was constantly trying to kill himself.

Anyone who enjoyed this and hasn't explored any of Astron6's other films, I highly recommend Father's Day and The Editor. I'd say Father's Day is closer in spirit to PG with plenty of laughs, but both are great fun.