Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:59:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better Call Saul - the sixth (and final) season

Started by Blue Jam, February 24, 2021, 12:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on August 09, 2022, 12:45:35 PMKim passing the now automated ticket booth where Mike used to work was an unexpected gut punch.

Ditto for the mirror shot of Kim brushing her teeth solo :'(

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JamesTC on August 09, 2022, 12:41:08 PMThe true villain of the Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul universe finally reveals himself. Jeeves is here to fuck everything up.

The 'Jeeves' part of the name was dropped in 2006. Immersion ruined. Vince and Peter fell at the final hurdle.

AnOrdinaryBoy

Spoiler alert
Did anyone else notice that Gene knocking on Marion's door and then looking through her window when she didn't answer mirrored the way Jimmy knocked on Abuelita/Tuco's door and then looked through the mirror in the pilot? The knocking in the pilot was the beginning of Jimmy's descent into the underworld - I'm guessing the mirroring in this episode marks the beginning of his exit from it.

Also, Saul drumming the desk and then putting his shoes on the desk during the divorce papers scene felt quite Brentish.
[close]

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That was almost unbearably sad and tense from start to finish. Hoo boy.

Quote from: druss on August 09, 2022, 11:28:48 AM
Spoiler alert
I thought he was going to kill her there. He definitely thought about it, at that point and after the scenes as Saul with Kim earlier in the episode I thought that Jimmy was truly dead but I think there was a blink and you'll miss it moment where he came back when old lady said she trusted him.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Definitely. A great piece of subtle acting from Odenkirk there, his threatening demeanour vanished in the blink of an eye. When Marion said she'd trusted him, he suddenly looked ashamed. A brief glimmer of the old Jimmy, a man who was capable of feeling remorse. He's still in there somewhere.

And yeah, Kim's breakdown on the bus was stunningly performed by Seehorn. She's such a great actor.

What a show. I mean, really. It's a masterpiece.
[close]

Quote from: AnOrdinaryBoy on August 09, 2022, 02:12:45 PM
Spoiler alert
Also, Saul drumming the desk and then putting his shoes on the desk during the divorce papers scene felt quite Brentish.
[close]

Spoiler alert
It was very Brentish. Odenkirk, as we know, is a big fan of British comedy, so he'll almost certainly have done that on purpose.
[close]

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 02:39:53 PMThat was almost unbearably sad and tense from start to finish. Hoo boy.

Apart from when Jeff crashed. That was a good laugh.

Oh, and when...

Spoiler alert
Gene turned his phone towards the window, so that Marion couldn't hear the ice clinking in his booze drink. That made me laugh.

Also, more comically awful singing from Odenkirk as he listened to Blondie in his car.
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 03:09:12 PM
Spoiler alert
Also, more comically awful singing from Odenkirk as he listened to Blondie in his car.
[close]

I've just remembered Jimmy's rendition of the Rocky theme. Just six notes and yet he still doesn't manage to hit a single one. Amazing:

https://youtu.be/l6R-t8n3Erg?t=16

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 02:55:10 PM
Spoiler alert
It was very Brentish. Odenkirk, as we know, is a big fan of British comedy, so he'll almost certainly have done that on purpose.
[close]

If I remember correctly he said one of his favourite comedy performances is Ricky Gervais as Brent (with Ricky Tomlinson as Jim Royle as another), so I'm sure it was deliberate.

Spoiler alert
That scene mostly reminded me of Chuck telling Jimmy "You never mattered all that much to me" and suppressing his true emotions until Jimmy couldn't see him. Saul putting his feet up the desk and telling Kim "Have a nice life" seemed to be him desperately putting on a show of not caring, when we'd seen how he was in actual tears reading the petition for divorce. Also possibly doing it to spare Kim's feelings, to make their breakup easier for her and not put her through the upset of seeing how he really felt- again, an echo of Chuck's last words to Jimmy and their intention.
[close]

Blue Jam

For me it was heartbreakingly sad to see
Spoiler alert
bright, talented, beautiful Kim leading that boring life with that boring schlub of a man. She's not a wanted fugitive, she knew she wasn't going to get into trouble even if she confessed to pulling a scam on Howard, so why can't she find a slightly more challenging job and a more interesting man to settle down with? Is she punishing herself by refusing to let herself be happy? Is she doing the same thing as Jimmy, shutting her old self down, but by becoming smaller and more mousey rather than bigger and more brash?

I also wondered if that was a bit of a nod to the "mundanity montage" at the start of Nobody. Kim is Hutch Mansell!

Also: "Yep... yep... yep... YEP..." *shudder*
[close]

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:21:07 PMiirc correctly he said his two favourite comedy performances are Ricky Gervais as Brent  and Ricky Tomlinson as Jim Royle, so I'm sure it was deliberate.

Ah right, then it's confirmed! On the subject of British influences, I recently rewatched Saul's first BB episode, and Odenkirk is very reminiscent of Partridge when he's talking to Francesca via his bluetooth. "Idea for a series, Lynn..." He's got that vibe.

Btw...

Spoiler alert
I'm listening to the latest Insider podcast, in which Gould and Gilligan elaborate on where Kim's head is at during this episode. Very interesting.
[close]

Blue Jam

Not got a source for that but I'm sure I remember seeing him quoted on that somewhere.

I guess he's a fan of Partridge too- I remember learning about the air date of This Time series 2 via him and Michael McKean discussing it on Twitter and being mildly annoyed, wondering how the fuck two Americans could have known this information before I did ;)

Saul is definitely reminding me more of Partridge in S6 of BCS:

I can hear the From The Oasthouse theme just looking at this.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:32:43 PMFor me it was heartbreakingly sad to see
Spoiler alert
smart, bright, talented, beautiful Kim leading that boring life with that boring schlub of a man. She's not a wanted fugitive, she knew she wasn't going to get into trouble even if she confessed to pulling a scam on Howard, so why can't she find a slightly more challenging job and a more interesting man to settle down with? Is she punishing herself by refusing to let herself be happy?

I also wondered if that was a bit of a nod to the "mundanity montage" at the start of Nobody. Kim is Hutch Mansell!

[close]

I enjoy Kim's character, but she doesn't really deserve a happy life, given what she did. She's lucky to just have a fairly peaceful one. She was the driving force behind the maliciousness that unfolded, topped off with lying to Cheryl's face. And it's not Jimmy who manipulated her into doing that, almost the opposite. She's only now starting to redeem herself.

Blue Jam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 09, 2022, 03:46:16 PMI enjoy Kim's character, but she doesn't really deserve a happy life, given what she did. She's lucky to just have a fairly peaceful one. She was the driving force behind the maliciousness that unfolded, topped off with lying to Cheryl's face. And it's not Jimmy who manipulated her into doing that, almost the opposite. She's only now starting to redeem herself.

I agree with all of that, I just think there's something sad in a bright and talented person ending up like... that, no matter how they got there. Same as with Jimmy working at Cinnabon. It's the waste of a talent, considered separately from whether that fate was deserved or not.

To me, the scene with her trying to atone for ruining Howard's reputation seemed to be more about assuaging her guilt than anything else- it achieved nothing and she didn't really seem justified in doing it. She almost certainly knew there would be no real consequences for her too, there was nothing brave or admirable about it.

I read this review earlier:

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/better-call-saul-season-6-episode-12-review-waterworks/

QuoteWhen she finally gets it all off her chest, she emotionally unloads on a public bus, sobbing as if she had been waiting years to finally let it out. It's like the guilt and self-hatred are leaving her body.

...and that's not how I read it at all. I saw that as her realising that there is nothing she can do to make up for all the hurt she has caused, that she can never go home again, that she's made her bed and must lie in it. She and Jimmy have both tried to escape their purgatory in different ways, and they have both failed.

I may be wrong though. Will give this week's In Cider Podcast a listen soon, sounds like a good one.

An interesting interview with Gilligan here...

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/better-call-saul-vince-gilligan-final-episode-interview-1393644/

Don't be put off by the words 'final episode' in that link, old Vincey boy is talking about episode 12, which is his final episode as writer/director. There are obviously no spoilers for the finale.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:52:04 PMI agree with all of that, I just think there's something sad in a bright and talented person ending up like... that, no matter how they got there. Same as with Jimmy working at Cinnabon. It's the waste of a talent, considered separately from whether that fate was deserved or not.

Yeah for sure, it's quite bleak to see. I just know there's lots of viewers who think she's genuinely a good person, or the victim of a situation Jimmy dragged her into. She may not be wholly bad, but I'll never forget how she looked at Howard when he spoke to them in his final moments. Cold and cruel. I don't find her worth rooting for, but dammit we probably will in the end.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 03:53:02 PMThere are obviously no spoilers for the finale.

Spoiler alert
If what he says about Kim's fate is true. I just hope he's not setting us up for a fall.
[close]

JamesTC

I'm still rooting for Saul to get away with it all, the lovable scamp.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: JamesTC on August 09, 2022, 04:18:15 PMI'm still rooting for Saul to get away with it all, the lovable scamp.

Of course, they can't send him down. Not our Jimmy!

kalowski

So interesting how it was
Spoiler alert
Gene just seeming to know too much about Albuquerque state law that got Marion wondering and subsequently Asking Jeeves.
And the colour reflected in Gene's glasses was a cool touch too.
[close]

Pseudopath

Quote from: JamesTC on August 09, 2022, 04:18:15 PMI'm still rooting for Saul to get away with it all, the lovable scamp.

Maybe they'll emulate the BrBa finale and have everything turn out impossibly well for the protagonist.

Cut to ARC NOOSE...it was all Jimmy's dying dream.

phantom_power

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:52:04 PMthere was nothing brave or admirable about it.

I don't know. I thought it was brave of her to stand in front of Cheryl and tell the truth, giving her a chance to answer any questions. She didn't need to do that to get the truth out, and there are some elements of guilt assuaging there but I don't think it wasn't still brave.

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:52:04 PM...and that's not how I read it at all. I saw that as her realising that there is nothing she can do to make up for all the hurt she has caused, that she can never go home again, that she's made her bed and must lie in it. She and Jimmy have both tried to escape their purgatory in different ways, and they have both failed.

I think I agree with the interpretation in review. You can see it all just flood out of her

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2022, 04:28:29 PMSo interesting how it was
Spoiler alert
Gene just seeming to know too much about Albuquerque state law that got Marion wondering and subsequently Asking Jeeves.
And the colour reflected in Gene's glasses was a cool touch too.
[close]

Spoiler alert
It wasn't just that, though. In last week's episode we saw her starting to wonder why Gene was spending so much time with her Jeffy. What were they up to in the garage? Why has this seemingly genial man, who we don't know anything about, inveigled his way into our lives?

Unlike most of the elderly women Jimmy charmed/scammed in the past, Marion wasn't naive. And that's where Jimmy went wrong when dealing with her, he underestimated her intelligence. Just another sweet old lady he could easily con? Nope, she was sharper than that.

Marion asking Jeeves about him was the culmination of her growing doubt about this mysterious stranger. "There was no Nippy." She's been thinking about all of this for a while. Gene's suspiciously familiar knowledge of Albuquerque law was the final straw. 
[close]

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 09, 2022, 03:32:43 PMFor me it was heartbreakingly sad to see
Spoiler alert
bright, talented, beautiful Kim leading that boring life with that boring schlub of a man. She's not a wanted fugitive, she knew she wasn't going to get into trouble even if she confessed to pulling a scam on Howard, so why can't she find a slightly more challenging job and a more interesting man to settle down with? Is she punishing herself by refusing to let herself be happy? Is she doing the same thing as Jimmy, shutting her old self down, but by becoming smaller and more mousey rather than bigger and more brash?

[close]

I was initially certain that

Spoiler alert
Kim was running a scam on the workplace, the guy or both
[close]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 04:41:54 PM
Spoiler alert
It wasn't just that, though. In last week's episode we saw her starting to wonder why Gene was spending so much time with her Jeffy. What were they up to in the garage? Why has this seemingly genial man, who we don't know anything about, inveigled his way into our lives?

Unlike most of the elderly women Jimmy charmed/scammed in the past, Marion wasn't naive. And that's where Jimmy went wrong when dealing with her, he underestimated her intelligence. Just another sweet old lady he could easily con? Nope, she was sharper than that.

Marion asking Jeeves about him was the culmination of her growing doubt about this mysterious stranger. "There was no Nippy." She's been thinking about all of this for a while. Gene's suspiciously familiar knowledge of Albuquerque law was the final straw. 
[close]

There was also Gene getting angry at Buddy's dog, and not behaving as a genuine dog lover would have done. That's when she first suspected there was no Nippy.

Dex Sawash

Nice job Jeff  going for the

Spoiler alert
drunk driving distraction. Pretty sure that crash was no accident. The call to "dad" was good too
[close]

dontpaintyourteeth

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dex Sawash on August 09, 2022, 04:51:40 PMI was initially certain that

Spoiler alert
Kim was running a scam on the workplace, the guy or both
[close]

Can't be doing with spoiler quotes now... I was wondering if Glenn knows Kim used to be Mrs Saul Goodman, or even just that she used to be a lawyer. She seemed too frightened to give away even the slightest hint of personality, not unlike Gene, but afraid to even express an affirmative opinion on Miracle Whip and preferring to defer to her man instead.

I found it interesting that, while Kim was always the "man" and Jimmy the "woman" in their relationship, and that they both seemed to like it that way, Kim now seems very much like a suburban housewife with Glenn as the head of the household, and I can't imagine Glenn would want it any other way. Jimmy would be the one making the potato salad, not the one expecting someone to make it for him (with the wrong ingredients).

kalowski

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 09, 2022, 04:41:54 PM
Spoiler alert

[close]
Yes, that's kinda what I mean. It was the final piece of the puzzle.