Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:36:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rehearsal - Nathan Fielder's new HBO series

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 25, 2021, 09:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

bgmnts

Really enjoying this. Don't care how much is real it's just really fucking funny.

Kor getting distracted by the rehearsed trivia quiz is so stupid.

bgmnts

Haha Robyn the legit believer in christ who is fine having sex before marriage and believes in numbers and wants to have sex with the woman who wants to remain celibate. A comically large piece of shit.

Fucking love these freaks! Does he find them all on Craigslist?

bgmnts

Haha fucking hell Nathan Fielder is so insane.

Do all kids who don't have a dad turn out shit then? The kid thought that having an absentee father would lead him to be automatically become an angry druggie. Is that real?

The Mollusk

Quote from: Bartholomew J Krishna on September 18, 2022, 08:25:36 PM

My wife recommends this video.
(I didn't watch the series).

Nice one for this, very insightful (as has been all of the chat throughout the thread so far).

I was super busy with life stuff and so only got around to finishing watching this very recently, so don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. As a side note however, it's worth noting that if the original rehearsal premise did flop and Nathan was forced to patch things together as he went along in subsequent episodes, as producer of How To With John Wilson he is the person who primarily weaves a narrative through all of the random chunks of footage Wilson films to create something that is beyond a montage of similar events, sculpting it into something that is far more profound or emotionally affecting or thought provoking. So he's definitely highly adept at that. I still can't be sure if this actually happened in The Rehearsal but I think that uncertainty is part of the brilliance of creating something "hyperreal" as outlined in the above video.

Whatever the case, I found this show bizarrely compelling and I was glued to the entire thing, and I think as a filmmaker it's probably Fielder's creative peak in terms of what he thinks (the deconstruction of) a reality TV show should be. It's beyond comedy or reality TV in the sense that Bitches Brew was beyond jazz. Perplexing, challenging, difficult and yet also brilliant, and in years to come will hopefully be recognised as a work of genius.

QDRPHNC

Sorry for bumping this thread with such randomness, but it seems that back in the 80s, a very young Keanu Reeves did some on-screen reporting for the CBC, and good lord are the Fielder vibes strong.

Not strictly Reeves himself, who is more of an affable goofball than Fielder, but the structure of the whole piece, and the way that one cut completely stitches up the 13 year old teddy bear collector.

Tiggles

Literally only just noticed that this is available to watch via Now TV and have instantly had my mind blown (as well as finding it very funny and weird as per anything by Nathan Fielder). Just bumping the thread for those who might not have been able to see it before, or who weren't aware of it.

I'm only two episodes in so trying not to think where it's going. Incredible stuff.