Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:25:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Flatley's Blackbird - News!

Started by dr beat, July 08, 2021, 07:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Getting real "Well maybe you shouldn't be LIVING HERE!" vibes from his angry acting

Blue Jam

Quote from: Butchers Blind on July 15, 2022, 02:35:07 PMI'm expecting 'certified fresh' and nothing less.

I'm expecting nothing short of the Citizen Kane of mad vanity projects made by retired Irish dancers.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Honestly I am more excited by this news than I was when the Star Wars prequels were first announced.

frajer

Watched the trailer this morning. Think the Broccolis can call off the search for the next Bond.

pigamus

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 14, 2022, 08:57:20 PMI really hope it's properly good and that there is nothing to criticise about it.

That would be far funnier, somehow.

Looks more like a mediocre piece of nothing than the screaming disaster people are hoping for.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 08, 2021, 07:51:42 PMIs The Monaco Streaming Festival... a vanity film festival which Flatley set up so he cold give himself an award?

I think it's more likely that hardly anyone knows what the fuck this festival is and want nothing to do with it, so they'll take Flatley as he has a level of fame. Possible he bunged them a few quid on the down low. Who knows? The 2022 awards page is weird though, you have big names like James Cameron and James Bond on there and a best actress for Patricia Arquette but the best actor isn't there for some strange reason. Very peculiar.

It looks like a money laundering or tax dodge scheme and given Monaco probably has more millionaires per square meter than anywhere else in the world... Wouldn't be surprised if Gary Barlow and Jimmy Carr have invested their tax deductibles into it. They're known for investing in film companies that make no films.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 09, 2021, 03:35:42 PMit seems it was screened at the Grimaldi forum but there were "technical difficulties"

Must have needed to be screened in some way or another to be eligible for his amazing award. I'm sure Flatley sees himself as a sort of James Bond figure and I'm sure he's unaware of Neil Breen or Geteven.

These sorts of films I could not bear to watch at home but they could be great fun in an actual cinema.

elliszeroed

I could never watch So-bad-it's-good films on my own. I enjoy watching Red Letter Media's reviews of them, but... even in the case of The Room I was more bored than amused. I need to be surrounded by people to enjoy them.

That said, the news that this is being released has made me oddly tumescent, in my left foot.

Rev+

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 08, 2021, 07:51:42 PMIs The Monaco Streaming Festival... a vanity film festival which Flatley set up so he cold give himself an award? Plenty of critics in that Twitter thread seem to think so and are now wondering who the hell they gave their personal details and registration fee to.

I don't think he set it up, but as previous films no bugger has ever heard of have won across the board in all categories it's pretty clear what it is.  It's like how your local grubby takeaway has a certificate proclaiming that it was awarded 'Takeaway of the Year' (by Prism2000 marketing).

Rev+

Seriously though, I ache for this film.  The red phone box in London in the 21st century suggests an intriguing time travel storyline.

touchingcloth

I need a protagonist whose surname rhymes with Flatley, and whose first name is a synonym for winner, leader, the greatest.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 15, 2022, 07:50:45 PMMust have needed to be screened in some way or another to be eligible for his amazing award.

A day or two before the festival, they announced the screening of Blackbird would be in person only. During lockdown. It added to this sense that it would never formally be seen by anyone so pleasantly surprised that it will be.

Shaky

I'm sure if we asked Michael he'd say he made the film for himself so it's fitting he should be the only person to ever see it. Sitting in the "audience" mouthing along to the script and making gun noises.

Replies From View

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 15, 2022, 08:09:25 PMI could never watch So-bad-it's-good films on my own. I enjoy watching Red Letter Media's reviews of them, but... even in the case of The Room I was more bored than amused. I need to be surrounded by people to enjoy them.

I was surrounded by fans of The Room when I watched it, and it was one of the most alienating experiences of my life.

I might have found some of it amusing if I'd discovered its rubbishness by myself, but to be in a space crammed with people loudly anticipating every dodgy line reading or stupid plot point by ANNOUNCING THEM while they were happening or in advance, I mean for fuck's sake.

So yeah.  The Room was boring and also drowned out by hecklers extremely keen to be seen amongst other hecklers - a contest of shouting louder and louder rubbish in-jokes that they already knew anyway.  I can't confirm which was the worst aspect as they were entwined.

Sorry; anyway what's this about Riverdance?

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Edinburgh CaB meet anyone? I know this cracking place which is conveniently near all the cinemas on Lothian Road:

http://theblackbirdedinburgh.co.uk/

Blue Jam

Tickets for this are now on sale in some parts of the UK:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/michael-flatley-riverdance-blackbird-action-movie-b2135885.html

Seen it's on in Bristol, no listings for Edinburgh yet though, bah. Anyone booked yet?

Famous Mortimer

I will pay for someone to take a nice camera in to a showing and pirate it for me.

Small Man Big Horse

It's getting four showings at the Prince Charles Cinema - https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceCharlesCinema.dll/WhatsOn?f=23867408 - I can't make the afternoon screenings but I'm tempted by one of the evening performances.

Blue Jam

This is on at the Showcase Cinema de Lux in Glasgow, but nowhere in Edinburgh yet. I am sorely tempted to make a daytrip to Glesga...

PlanktonSideburns

It's pete Bradshaw though, so this is probably a masterpiece

Blue Jam

I assumed that cinema in Glasgow was a small arthouse cinema in the centre, but looking it up it seems it's at a retail park on the outskirts, and it'd take me three trains and quite a bit of walking to get there. It feels like Flatley is deliberately trying to stop people seeing this...

Still tempted though...

PlanktonSideburns

Christ, peter writes like the holds a turd instead of a pen, making me want to like this

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 31, 2022, 10:18:33 PMIt's pete Bradshaw though, so this is probably a masterpiece

From a quick scroll, he gave "crimes of the future" 4 and "nope" a 2. Seems like he knows what's up.
Have you got examples of his heinous wrongness handy?

This must be coming to some sort of streaming service. They'll buy any auld shite.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on August 31, 2022, 10:40:20 PMFrom a quick scroll, he gave "crimes of the future" 4 and "nope" a 2. Seems like he knows what's up.
Have you got examples of his heinous wrongness handy?

This must be coming to some sort of streaming service. They'll buy any auld shite.

Hmm, I did like crimes of the future, but I liked nope also - he really hated titane, said it was transphobic, which I thought was well off - sure he's hated other things I've loved, but can't think of any

Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt on his ratings. His words can get in a bin inside a bin though

Oh, I didn't get round to that one yet. I'll bump it up the list.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 31, 2022, 10:22:10 PMIt feels like Flatley is deliberately trying to stop people seeing this.

Well he's doing a shit job of it because it's on in 12 different cinemas in Dublin this Friday. 1 star review makes it required viewing.

touchingcloth

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 31, 2022, 10:45:13 PMMaybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt on his ratings. His words can get in a bin inside a bin though

I've never heard of him before, but from his byline photo I suspect he's not a real person but instead a character performed by Mark Gatiss.