Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Skull - New Predator Film

Started by Malcy, July 28, 2021, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Povidone

It were good. No frills action film, perfect with Sunday night chips. Liked the Predator design, he had a skull on his face.

1/10 for film not being actually called Skull.

Replies From View

Quote from: Goldentony on August 07, 2022, 09:02:10 PM50 minutes into this and ive seen a CGI bear get punched by an invisible man and not much else

explain how you 'saw' an invisible man, please

dissolute ocelot

Prey is an entertaining action film. It's always good when French people are the villains. The heroine is a bit like the heroine of all the Marvel and Disney films: lots of eye-rolling and "I will go to the rock concert/prom/party/wilderness-based test of strength!" It doesn't try and give the Predator a back story or anything, but it does have some rules which add to the story. It lacks the humour of the original, but if you have Disney+ it's definitely worth watching.

Spoiler alert
One real stand-out moment was when she discovered the bison had been skinned by the French, not the Predator. Fucking French bastards.
[close]

Custard

It's amazing they finally made a really good sequel that people are genuinely praising and they lobbed it straight on streaming. Though admittedly maybe only a fraction of the people would've bothered trudging down the pictures for it. Still seems a shame/wasted opportunity, mind

Custard

I wonder which franchises will copy the idea and start trying to revive their properties by whacking them in different time periods or completely different places?

IT is already heading back to the 60s soon, in series format

I can see Terminator trying something like this soon, as that is proper dead, and they can't try to make a sequel to T2 for the fourth time (I must say I was one of the few who actually enjoyed Dark Fate). Find John Connor's great granddad and proper kick his head in. In fact why haven't the machines already done this? Get him just as he's born. Squash the cunt like a satsuma

Bad Ambassador

I did a podcast about Terminator Genisys a while ago where I suggested they should go to town with the time travel element, such as having Regency-era Terminators riding around on horses.

Replies From View

They should have Terminator films where you spend the entire time trying to work out which one isn't a Terminator because they're all talking in these metallic screeching voices.  You're wondering who is a Terminator here and who just has a horrific voice disfigurement in their throats.  Every now and then there's an end-of-Scooby-Doo style reveal where the apparent gang leading this film rips the flesh off someone's head and it's usually a metal skull underneath but sometimes it isn't, and you can see the disfigured voice in all its disgusting glory.

Rated R of course.  It would work well as an audio drama as well actually.  Pop it on Radio 4

Custard

But which ones will have plastic arses?

Replies From View

Quote from: Custard on August 08, 2022, 01:42:12 PMBut which ones will have plastic arses?

It depends if those tourist information places are still around and willing to melt down their Ronald Reagan masks.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on August 08, 2022, 01:02:01 PMI did a podcast about Terminator Genisys a while ago where I suggested they should go to town with the time travel element, such as having Regency-era Terminators riding around on horses.

Glebe

The bear should have gone full Revenant and tried to shag the predator.

Bad Ambassador

dead-ced-dead

Has anyone watched this in the Comanche dub yet? I just want to know if it's makes a significant or noticeable improvement.

I've only seen the trailer and I have to admit that the modern American way of speaking did seem a little jarring and anachronistic with the period setting but I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

elliszeroed

Meanwhile on the Predator homeworld:

Pred 1: Holy shit, did you hear about Titters? He got killed by a 17 year old girl.

Pred 2: Holy shit! I guess we're gonna have to stick to hunting marines. special forces and xenomorph super weapon types from now one.

Pred 1: Yeah dude, teenage girls... you don't wanna be messin' with them. That's way above our skill level.

Pete23

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on August 08, 2022, 04:50:33 PMHas anyone watched this in the Comanche dub yet? I just want to know if it's makes a significant or noticeable improvement.

I've only seen the trailer and I have to admit that the modern American way of speaking did seem a little jarring and anachronistic with the period setting but I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

I've only watched the dub so can't compare, but while it felt more authentic (whatever that means in a Predator movie) it had two problems; it often sounds like it's recorded in a studio and it has all the usual noise subtitles as well like "birds twitter", "predators machine goes ping" etc which is pretty distracting all the way through.

Lord Mandrake

I thought they overdid the predator clicking/breathing in this. What is point of being invisibubble when you sound like someone playing a guiro in a turnstile?

Otherwise, loved it.

beanheadmcginty

How many jokes about overly large pussies are in this one?

Goldentony

I watched 'Carter' right after this and it opens with something like 500 lads in thongs or nothing getting sliced up in a sauna by one wanker. People were being thrown on coals and stuff bare arsed. Why wasn't SKULL anything like that?

Bad Ambassador

They didn't have saunas in them days.

Oh, Nobody

Quote from: Custard on August 05, 2022, 11:51:46 PMYeah, I liked this too. Main lady character is likeable and pretty nails

Leave her manicure out of this.

Best straight-to-streaming sequel since Trolls World Tour.

mjwilson

Quote from: Custard on August 08, 2022, 12:05:23 PMIt's amazing they finally made a really good sequel that people are genuinely praising and they lobbed it straight on streaming. Though admittedly maybe only a fraction of the people would've bothered trudging down the pictures for it. Still seems a shame/wasted opportunity, mind

Supposedly it's a contractual thing.

Yes. The film began life before the Disney/Fox merger and that somehow means that streaming rights would go to HBO Max if it had played in cinemas.

elliszeroed

Ah, I thought that gun looked familiar.

I guess the Predators must have taken it from the tribe in a later story.

They'll be wanting to do a sequel now I bet.

Pete23

Quote from: elliszeroed on August 11, 2022, 01:59:06 PMAh, I thought that gun looked familiar.

I guess the Predators must have taken it from the tribe in a later story.

They'll be wanting to do a sequel now I bet.

Did you see the last frame of the cave painting art during the end credits that hints at future developments?

Custard

Films can never just end now, they have to have at least some tiny hint somewhere that there's more to come

If the original was released now, it'd have Arnie going off in the chopper, pan back down to the jungle and have an even bigger Predator lad waving his first and screaming "come on then, ya fanny!"

Josef K

This was ace, honestly probably my favourite of the franchise, but then I was always in the minority that preferred Predator 2.

Really glad they made it and there'll be an inevitable follow up but I think the franchise needs time to breathe - there's only so much you can do with the premise and it'll just end up being more of the same.

Replies From View

Quote from: Custard on August 11, 2022, 05:16:59 PMFilms can never just end now, they have to have at least some tiny hint somewhere that there's more to come

If the original was released now, it'd have Arnie going off in the chopper, pan back down to the jungle and have an even bigger Predator lad waving his first and screaming "come on then, ya fanny!"

And the camera will pan back up to the chopper, to reveal poking out of the back of Arnie's trousers... a huge fox tail beginning to grow!!  CUT TO BLACK AND CREDITS

Goldentony

every review i'm finding and reading or forum post seems to really enjoy this and I don't know what I was missing with it but I dunno, the 50 or so minute wait for it to get interesting and then another shite American go at the Oldboy hallway scene with that

Spoiler alert
sequence where they're both tied to a tree
[close]

just annoyed me. I wasn't arsed about anything. The guys at the start acting like total pricks to the lead kind of had me engaged for a bit because it would have been fun to see SKULL annihilate them but I couldn't even tell you how that turned out. They probably died? I didn't give a shit about anyone or anything in this. French lads might aswell have been anyone. Tribe of clowns or footy players.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Goldentony on August 11, 2022, 05:55:42 PMevery review i'm finding and reading or forum post seems to really enjoy this and I don't know what I was missing with it but I dunno, the 50 or so minute wait for it to get interesting and then another shite American go at the Oldboy hallway scene with that

Spoiler alert
sequence where they're both tied to a tree
[close]

just annoyed me. I wasn't arsed about anything. The guys at the start acting like total pricks to the lead kind of had me engaged for a bit because it would have been fun to see SKULL annihilate them but I couldn't even tell you how that turned out. They probably died? I didn't give a shit about anyone or anything in this. French lads might aswell have been anyone. Tribe of clowns or footy players.

Maybe your shite at watching films

I've not seen the film, so can't comment, but maybe worth thinking about?