Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:02:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxide Ghosts back on tour in UK/Ire 2022

Started by Blinder Data, December 03, 2021, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midas

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Midas on February 28, 2022, 05:08:58 PMWhat's the running time including Q&A?

Watershed in Bristol says 1hr 40, (film itself being 60 minutes)

Midas

DJ Bob Hoskins

My brother was at the screening in Dublin last night. Apparently Arthur Mathews was supposed to attend the Q&A but had to cancel because he has COVID.

My wishful-thinking theory: Since Graham Linehan is in town with his TERF brigade, Mathews faked COVID so as to have a good excuse not to go for pints with the bananas cunt.

Clownbaby

I've always wondered with people like Linehan if they're exactly like that if you know them and see them casually. Because I know a few people who post the most horrendous shite on social media but are perfectly pleasant when you just have a drink with them

Nah forget I said that he's definitely a twat

Povidone

Saw this on Saturday night, haven't watched Brass Eye in a while so was unprepared for the wave of nostalgia that came with seeing all these clips. I loved seeing the expanded segments with Morris just improvising nonsense around his character, he's so good at it I can't believe we haven't seen more of him in front of camera. Some lovely wee humanising moments as well. Though I could believe that this entire exercise exists solely to make that elephant pissing footage public in some way.

Cumming did explain at the start that he agreed with Morris that the film should only be shown in this event format so looks like a live stream is unlikely given the high likelihood of it being bootlegged and chucked up on Youtube or something. I do think it would be a worthwhile companion peice to a future physical re-release of BE though.

shoulders

Looking forward to the York screening tonight!

Blue Jam

Enjoyed the Embra screening on Saturday. Can't say anything about the film obviously, even if Michael Cummings answered the question about comedy forums to say he doesn't read them.

Midas

Quote from: shoulders on March 07, 2022, 02:32:06 PMLooking forward to the York screening tonight!

Hold your horses, it's Leeds tonight. The York screening's on Wednesday.

shoulders

Quote from: Midas on March 07, 2022, 03:34:59 PMHold your horses, it's Leeds tonight. The York screening's on Wednesday.

Ffs. I'm in York now. What a tit I am.

Povidone

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 07, 2022, 02:48:51 PMEnjoyed the Embra screening on Saturday. Can't say anything about the film obviously, even if Michael Cummings answered the question about comedy forums to say he doesn't read them.

I was wondering if that was someone from here, you could feel the nudging and winking at the words 'comedy forum' just stopping short of 'that shall not be named'.

Dirty Boy

Had an enjoyable evening seeing this for the first time last week.

A few stray thoughts:
Spoiler alert
The Huggy Bear and Michael Winner bits should have been in the broadcast show.
The harsher material seemed purely sacrificial for the stuff that managed to sneak through. Cumming said as much later.
The Kevin Eldon/rape bit that appeared later in the first series of Blue Jam.
What a whiney bitch Bruno Brooks is.
It shouldn't need pointing out, but how bloody brilliant a comic actor is Morris? Seeing all his characters condensed into an hour (complete with alternate lines) really brought it home for me.
Slightly disappointed with no extra little city gent or Wolf from Gladiators, but i loved it anyway.

Some good questions from the audience, but i don't think there was much revealed that i didn't know about from reading Disgusting Bliss except for an aborted interview with Chris Eubank that he insisted be conducted on Brighton Beach, before deciding his shoes were too expensive to walk on the sand and the tidbit that Saville was approached (i think for Carla the Elephant, but i'm not 100%)

I was going to ask what were some of the things that were lost and/or deleted that he would have liked to include in the film, but i got scared and decided it was a stupid question and couldn't do it.
[close]
Top night.

TheGingerAlien

Think there were approx 10 baldies in attendance for the Newcastle show.  Big up the CAB massive.

I noted it took Dawson all of 2 seconds to mention Sunderland after taking the stage.  Classic bantz!  He should do a podcast!

But yeah, excellent stuff from Michael.  Must be weird being so successful/talented yourself but everywhere you go people just want to talk about how brilliant Chris is.

iamcoop

I asked the question about Rainbow/deep purple and I can confirm I have a lovely head of hair.

Anyway it was great. The
Spoiler alert
Female Parliament
[close]
bit should've been kept in.

Great to see more Sutcliffe stuff as well.

iamcoop

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: iamcoop on March 09, 2022, 01:50:10 PMI asked the question about Rainbow/deep purple and I can confirm I have a lovely head of hair.

Aye that was a good'un - he was loving it!  I was also disguised as a person with hair, but wore a hat out of solidarity for the folically-challenged.

Can't rememeber if it was your question that triggered the anecdote about
Spoiler alert
Brian Eno saying he loved Brass Eye and going to hang out with Chris
[close]

Great craic.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Povidone on March 08, 2022, 08:23:15 AMI was wondering if that was someone from here, you could feel the nudging and winking at the words 'comedy forum' just stopping short of 'that shall not be named'.
I wondered that too.

The blipping mic was effing annoying and I was scared the Cameo ceiling would cave in at any moment but really enjoyed it. It's been ages since I've watched Brass Eye with other people, forgot how fun it is.

shoulders

Just been to the York one.

Lovely stuff.

The line* about the waiver of legal insurance in case of mandrill attack was superb.

Spoiler alert
*festering purulence is an amazing laugh out loud phrase that had everyone in the room going
[close]

I left feeling like I could watch it all unedited. So odd seeing new material after 24 years.

Midas

Thomas

Quote from: Dirty Boy on March 08, 2022, 08:23:27 PMThe Kevin Eldon/rape bit that appeared later in the first series of Blue Jam.

I asked about that at the screening I attended a couple of years ago - Cumming and Matthews weren't aware that it had been repurposed!

AzureSky

I asked a question about the meaning of the Jerry Sadowitz credit. It doesn't mean anything. Cheers.

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Dineen on March 18, 2022, 10:31:21 PMI asked a question about the meaning of the Jerry Sadowitz credit. It doesn't mean anything. Cheers.

I hosted tonight's show and was intending to ask if anyone from CaB was among the audience, but forgot during my slightly hesitant intro. As Michael said, a lot of those credits were just acknowledging people he and Chris liked.

Just got home after a nice pint with Mr Cumming - post-gig chat included more Nightingales, The Fall, Robin Askwith, and I asked about Matt Berry's penchant for including odd out-of-character episodes in recent series. Michael hadn't seen the 'running a bar' show from WWDITS but said that 'Death Valley' in Tinseltown was all Berry's work without much input from Arthur Mathews.

Great to see Oxide Ghosts again tonight - was surprised when my request for a show of hands revealed that a vast majority of the audience hadn't seen it previously.

AzureSky

It was great to see it again, really enjoyed the night.. and thanks for lending me your pen to get the Brass Eye inlay signed!

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: Dineen on March 19, 2022, 10:14:17 AMIt was great to see it again, really enjoyed the night.. and thanks for lending me your pen to get the Brass Eye inlay signed!

Michael seemed impressed that you'd also bagged Chris's signature!

AzureSky

I don't have Chris's, but I did see him twice at the Broadway and shake his hand after the Four Lions screening. The 2nd time (for TDSC) I didn't want to disturb him, as he looked very busy on his laptop. It was weird seeing him sat near the bar at the Broadway though, most people had no clue, or were also keeping quiet about it. Michael's a very nice guy isn't he.

jenna appleseed

It's reached The Guardian

"Brass Eye's outtakes show the brutal TV comedy was the tip of an iceberg"
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/mar/22/oxide-ghosts-tour-brass-eye-25-years-chris-morris

(had a proper 'oh shut the fuck up' reaction at the 'you couldn't make it now' moments, esp this this bit "We're more delicate now than in the 90s – this is not a series made for the era of self-care and the safe space.",  also nobody seems to have told the writer Jam happened).

shoulders

QuoteOne of the pleasures of rewatching Brass Eye is to be reminded how swiftly such people – your Tamara Beckwiths, your Caesar the Geezers – return to obscurity.)

I thought the opposite, how most of them made it through unscathed and are still continual high or low level presences in British culture.

princeps

gee im pretty dumb, anyone have a spare ticket for the april 1st screening?

DrumsAndWires

who's coming to the brighton screening this saturday?

Egyptian Feast

I rewatched The Day Today and Brass Eye in preparation for seeing this next week and was glad to find they still leave me in bits after so many viewings over the decades. Desperate to see this now. And probably again in a couple of years.