Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You bendy old buggers.

Started by Neil, September 01, 2005, 05:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these would you most like to see commercially released?

No Known Cure
25 (12.1%)
The GLR Shows
50 (24.3%)
The R1 Music Shows
109 (52.9%)
A Morris, Whitehead & Sutton music compilation
22 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Voting closed: September 01, 2005, 05:30:53 AM

Neil

Great file for you this time round, which kicks off a series of equally brilliant files, we'll try to get a new one added every month or so.  As always, you can get notified whenever the site is updated by firing off an email to therealcabal-subscribe@yahoogroups.com we don't send emails to that list for any other occurrences.  Also, if you're wanting to email me personally to offer new files or whatever then use waynecarr@gmail.com but please don't be asking when the rest of the files are going to be put online again, because we still haven't decided what's going to happen.  Realistically there are far too many files to put up for web downloads these days, so we're still looking at other ways of making them available.  I'd quite like to start re-encoding all the old stuff to get it tidied and upgraded where possible, and then we'll probably start sticking them up in packs on Bit Torrent.  

Anyway, shortly after Nathan Barley went out there was an extremely irritating interview with Morris and Brooker in the Sunday Times.  What I find most interesting about the interview is that it seems to be a strident defence of Nathan Barley, indeed it reeks of Morris (finally) wanting to be seen openly talking about the show...something that he steadfastly refused to do before it went to air.  Surely the interviewer could have asked some challenging questions though, after all this is a show which delivered Channel 4 their second lowest Friday night ratings in a decade.  

It's worth taking a look back at the interview Morris gave a few months after The Day Today finished its broadcast.   For starters, it's a great piece anyway, but the difference in his attitude is startling.  "Our following was a small but intense three million, a very loyal Chihuahua. I went on holiday immediately after filming, and thought, 'That was the ponciest, most up-your-arse academic piece of comedy I can imagine, so pernickety. But certain people love the detail, and I can understand that. If I'm not an anorak, I'm at least a greatcoat. Some people like the sound of other people masturbating."   And that was The Day Today, for gawds sake, not some smug piss-poor excuse for a sitcom with a load of hoaky catchphrases where the dialogue should be. If you're one of the few people who enjoyed Nathan Barley then you may want to know that online vendors are listing a DVD with a release date of 26/09/2005, although you could just get a review copy anyway as you probably work in the media.  Kidding.  The extras seem to be the usual half-baked uninspiring shit.  It does include an "untransmittable pilot" though, which means it's identical to the first episode (© Gavin).

Next we have something a bit special, a shooting script for My Wrongs #8245-8249 & 117 (or DogDaze as it was then still being called).  Fascinating stuff this, lots of bits and pieces in there that were dropped or changed for the final release.  If the anonymous chap who passed this on happens to be reading then please get in touch at the email address above, I've got a parcel of goodies with no address on it.  We've got a few screen-shots from the rushes on that page (courtesy of a nice fellow called Trisha), and one of them is worth a closer look.  In short, it's a close-up of the spine of a book called Twelve Steps And Twelve Traditions, Google that if you want to figure it out for yourself, or just read this old post.  I'm not very keen on My Wrongs, but I thought this was an excellent bit of subtleness which was all but obliterated in the final edit.

Finally we've got a flipping great new radio show which was passed on to us by Mat Savage...  In April 1993 Morris returned to GLR to do 6 Saturday morning shows, taking over from Chris Evans who had quit the station so he could move to Virgin 1215 (which would launch at the end of that month.)  Thanks to Mat we've finally got a complete run of these shows, and they certainly don't dissapoint!  They're very close to the 1994 R1 shows - even more so than the previous GLR stuff - complete with Paul Garner appearances, The Sock Quiz and Kiddys Outing.  Future shows also feature Robert Katz reading out early versions of some of the monologues that would eventually re-surface in Blue Jam, and ultimately result in the afore-mentioned film.  This is a totally complete show, I've even patched up the tape flips.  I really can't enthuse about these shows enough, they really are bloody brilliant and we're extremely grateful to Mat Savage for passing them on.  This show is being hosted on Bit Torrent, if you've not used that software before then please read an FAQ about it.

Chris Morris GLR Show - 10th April 1993 - 162 Megs

I've added a guide to the top of the GLR page, but bear in mind that all the other downloads on that page are still offline.  I've also made a slightly compressed version of this show, split into two parts of around 65 megs each for dial-uppers, and I will add links to the comments part of this update when I can figure out where to host them.  We'll be back soon with the next show in the 1993 run, and after that we've got another batch of rarities lined up.  Thanks once again to Mat for the source tapes, he even let us use his originals to ensure the best possible quality...top man.

Oh, nearly forgot...Be sure to check out this by alan strang from SOTCAA, and this from our very own TJ.

Enjoy the show folks, and do let us know what you think of it, guest posting is still on for replying to updates.

Neil

The torrent file is now up, when you complete your download please help me to seed this for as long as possible, that way we can move on to the next one of these in a few weeks.

slim

Wahey! Nice work fella. The script makes for interesting reading. That missing/obscured shot certainly gives an interesting insight into what it was all about and the attitude of Morris when making the film.

New radio shows, oooh! :)

jutl

Thanks Neil - great stuff. Just to correct a slight error in the update - Nathan Barley was part of the second worst Friday night for Channel 4 in over a decade...

Quote from: "Media Guardian"The channel's lowest Friday night ratings since records began came on August 13 last year (2004) when it picked up an audience of 1 million and a 4.9% share against the BBC's Olympics coverage.
from http://media.guardian.co.uk/overnights/story/0,7965,1427278,00.html

I'm keen to see how the DVD sells, as TV ratings supposedly under-report the viewing habits of late teens and twenty-somethings.

butnut

Thanks Neil - I'll get this and seed it when I'm back from my parents.

Lee

Hm... the torrent doesn't appear to be working for me. Is anyone seeding it?

Those DogDaze bits are very interesting too, it looks like it resembled the original monologue much more than the final thing. Good work everyone!

Beagle 2

Great stuff, very much looking forward to this. Torrent's not working for me at the moment though. Edit: Oh yes it is!

Cheers to everyone involved, it's well appreciated.

skibz

Woo, an update! And more Morris stuff!

This, combined with getting a job yesterday, and seeing Crash the day before, has made this week one of the best ever. Thanks to all responsible!

RHX

Wow, thanks for all the stuff in the update, has been worth the wait :)

InfiniteFury

Nice update Neil and I'm looking forward to downloading the GLR torrent tonight. Well done sir.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: "Lee"Hm... the torrent doesn't appear to be working for me. Is anyone seeding it?
I was getting no seeds or peers, now Im trying G3 torrent and I have one seed and 32 peers, nothing downloaded yet. I cant even seed stuff anymore for some unknown reason. I think torrents are more trouble than they are worth.

Anyway very nice update! I love the GLR shows.

TTT

Cheers Neil, can't beat old Morris radio shows. Oh and the torrent is working fine for me.

TTT

Gypsum Fantastic

Can't wait to listen to this! Thanks for all the stuff, Neil!

Neil

Quote from: "jutl"Thanks Neil - great stuff. Just to correct a slight error in the update - Nathan Barley was part of the second worst Friday night for Channel 4 in over a decade...

Ah thanks for this jutl...I remember that report being made midway through the series, and then the ratings kept dropping didn't they?  So I figured they did end up with the lowest.  Just checked your ratings graph for episode 6, and it seems to indicate they dropped to around 700,000, or am I reading that wrong?  

If anyone is having a prob with the torrent then just leave it running for a bit.  Might be a slow tracker.  I'm definitely uploading to people now anyway.

DocDaneeka

Its getting there, now Im downloading really slow but Ive somehow managed to upload again. Ah well should be done after Ive taken some books back to the library.

Edited out a cheeky W.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Wow, thanks Neil and TJ and everyone else involved. Can't wait to hear this GLR show, and the script is really interesting too. Cheers.

thingie

Thanks Neil, I am moist with affection for you.  Been aching for more Morris for some time. xxx

Some Herbert

Thanks Neil - you're a real star.

Neil

The first bunch of seeds seem to have been made now, so I'll cut back my upload for a while and try and sort out the dialup versions.  I need a place where people can use download managers though...will megaupload.com do the job?  

By the way, the running news item in this show is fantastic, and the idea was used as a throwaway gag in Brass Eye (although it was cut from the final edit.)  Great playlist in this show too, The Bonzo Dog Band, Jonathan Richman And The Modern Lovers, Gil Scott Heron, Captain Beefheart...and that Austrailian Doors track, bloody hell.

danielreal2k

I'll keep seeding this with unlimited upload, if you need somewhere to upload the split Dialup versions for a while I might be able to help.

let me know :)

Gypsum Fantastic

Can I be the first person to say that this GLR show is truly wonderful? Particularly the competitions and the numerous surreal telephone conversations they produce that seem to be present in all the GLR shows, and all the better for it ('What are you doing this weekend?' 'House-hunting' 'Well do be careful, they can be dangerous' and right at the end 'I'm thirteen today. It's an unlucky age, should I skip it?' and the American guy was rather amusing - 'I will never say David Owen'). I had no idea Calls to Franco was a running thing... Chris mentions having some more next week, I take it we'll be able to hear those then? Great to hear Sgt. Murphy, as usual ('I know my rights, and my rights know me'). Thanks Neil, can't wait to hear the rest of this stuff!

Purple Tentacle

Hearty congrats, wonderful to see an update again. Really looking forward to this.

I love the interview with Morris, especially
Quotethen an uncle says 'The emotional knockout blow.'

Did Armando Iannucci's obsession with domestic arguments come from Morris I wonder?

Lewis

Many thanks for the update and thanks to Mat for supplying the tapes, I really love Morris' early radio shows. I'm looking forward to this!

bithez

weird to see that after a decade of working in television morris apparently doesn't know how a film script is supposed to be formatted. subverting the medium lol, etc.

i still think that the biggest problem with my wrongs was that the rothko monologue was the least film-adaptable of the lot - the necessary special effects were ugly and distracting. susie's wedding would have been better. i wonder when was the last time that morris actually wrote something all by himself?

quadraspazzed

Great update Neil, many thanks to you.

Just one problem: "Problem Connecting to Tracker: Timeout Exceeded"*

* Posted with the almost certain knowledge that once Submit is hit, the torrent will start working...

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaand there we go! Like clockwork. :D

Duffy

Thanks Neil and Mat ... really enjoyed that! I didn't spot the tape flip joins on first listen either, so a good job there too.

weekender

Thanks!  I might not be able to seed this for long as I have to use someone else's computer to download it while my own internet access is sorted, but once sorted I'll reseed as and when anyone asks.

Pinball

With Neil's permission I've uploaded the GLR show, in case y'all are torrent-averse ;-)

Chris Morris - GLR Show 10th April 1993.mp3 (162.95 MB)

left-click:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03AP4T7I

Lt Plonker

Many thanks Neil, and everyone else involved!

Do you know how long it took me to realise that these updates are actually forums too? I'm off to buy a large conical hat with a big letter D on it. :(