Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:46:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Daily Covid deaths globally the lowest since October 2020

Started by shoulders, January 07, 2022, 08:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

What we should've done is a global lockdown when it first escaped from Wutan. Lots of international collaboration. Full-scale shutdown of international travel. Maybe a full month so that 'essential workers' get a fortnight lockdown too, getting served by understudies. A much more brutal initial shock would've saved a lot of pain in the long-term.  Hope we can learn lessons for next time.

Although I was happy to give up some of my 'rights' for the sake of getting rid of COVID, I don't think The Man is going to be very enthusiastic about giving them back. There's going to be a long COVID hangover and I reckon it'll continue until the point where almost everyone thinks it's fucking stupid and we're on the brink of large-scale civil disobedience. Not that I think The Man gets much benefit from these COVID restrictions but I think it might get a hard-on from the power.

Milo

Quote from: Crenners on January 09, 2022, 12:22:00 PMSorry, I often post in the voice of idiots to mock them.

Yes, it's a worthwhile contribution.

mothman

mothman

Beagle 2

It's nice that former head of the vaccines taskforce Clive Dix reckons more vaccinations are pointless and we should all stop being big wimps about it, but I had a look to see what other pearls of wisdom he's come out with and all I can find is him in May of last year saying the U.K. will be "Covid-free by August" and won't require a winter booster programme.

I dunno, it seems a bit of an about face we've done within two weeks here about our prospects, the media has completely shifted focus overnight.

chveik

"herd immunity" is completely meaningless when it's a virus that can reinfect you every few months

shoulders

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 09, 2022, 02:37:05 PMIt's nice that former head of the vaccines taskforce Clive Dix reckons more vaccinations are pointless and we should all stop being big wimps about it, but I had a look to see what other pearls of wisdom he's come out with and all I can find is him in May of last year saying the U.K. will be "Covid-free by August" and won't require a winter booster programme.

I dunno, it seems a bit of an about face we've done within two weeks here about our prospects, the media has completely shifted focus overnight.

Who knew expensive city centre sandwich shops were the hinge on which the British economy functions?

scarecrow

Has anyone vaguely prominent within the media asked policy-makers if it really is a good idea to intentionally expose the UK's entire population to a virus, the long term effects of which are unknown? It seems like a really fucking stupid idea to me, but I haven't seen this discussed (possibly because so many people have now had COVID and talking about their increased likelihood of early neurological decline would make for bad optics).

olliebean

There's already about 1 in 50 people suffering symptoms of long Covid. I don't think policy makers or the mainstream media really give a shit.

Ferris

Quote from: olliebean on January 10, 2022, 01:46:27 PMThere's already about 1 in 50 people suffering symptoms of long Covid. I don't think policy makers or the mainstream media really give a shit.

Could be on our way to solving it, though yeah the lack of policy targeting it is quite bad.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/09/1071706533/the-role-of-tiny-blood-clots-in-long-covid

steveh

Read something a few days ago about how I think it was Finland are expecting they will need to invest more in their health service in the coming years to deal with the long-term effects of Covid on people. Think we're going to see more of that when the picture becomes clearer.

Milo

I think the powers that be think that long covid doesn't exist and it's just people wanting to skive.