Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

15 Glinutes of Shame: Lying in the Gettr Looking at the TRAs

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, January 16, 2022, 12:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Also J.K. Rowling pretty much looks the same? Just holds that smirk more now

Barry Admin

It's almost like transphobes have a bunch of pre-existing grudges, and they actively and repeatedly seek to apply those enormous chips on their shoulders to trans people, regardless of whether or not it makes any kind of fucking sense to do so.

retsuza

The "auntie I don't always agree with" analogy is probably the nicest and most diplomatic way he could have put it and from my point of view has absolutely nothing to do with anyone's looks, and it's actually pretty sexist of Helen Joyce to twist it like that.

Gusty OWindflap

Someone referred to it late in the last thread but they all seem to have lost any capacity for critical thinking. Even those who presumably would have had some education and training in it.

And it doesn't just stop at anti-gender ideology. They don't seem able to tell if something is a bad example of the form in any instance (TFABR's drawings for example) when it contains a representation that supports their cause. The same for poetry I've seen them laud.

shoulders

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on January 16, 2022, 11:12:14 AMThe funniest thing is, have any of you seen Rupert Grint being interviewed? He's the shyest, sweetest, most modest, most quiet guy ever. People have theorised he may suffer from social anxiety. So the idea that he's some kind of aggressive lad who wanted to fuck J.K. Rowling when he was younger is so funny to me.

Quite. Misandry is a toxic culture itself, regardless of whether it stems from a bad place/personal trauma.

Barry Admin

Wonder how much he plans to resell them for.

The sheer pettiness here is hilarious:

This also in reply to the idea that the Harry Potter guy is being ageist (and sexist):

Quote from: some transphobic moronI remember being young and thinking old people didn't know stuff, and then I became more aware, and realized they knew what they were talking about.

Kelvin

To be honest, I do actually think Grint's "Auntie" quote is a bit sexist, or at the very least fairly patronising. It also downplays the platform and influence Rowling has compared to a relative who says embarrassing things. But then it must be very hard for him to find a way to answer those sorts of questions about Rowling without either looking like he's defending her awful views, or insulting someone he probably still has a sense of loyalty and affection for, due to her role in his childhood. He and all the Potter actors must be sick of those types of questions by now.   

Barry Admin

Quote from: Kelvin on January 16, 2022, 12:17:01 PMTo be honest, I do actually think Grint's "Auntie" quote is a bit sexist, or at the very least fairly patronising. It also downplays the platform and influence Rowling has compared to a relative who says embarrassing things. But then it must be very hard for him to find a way to answer those sorts of questions about Rowling without either looking like he's defending her awful views, or insulting someone he probably still has a sense of loyalty and affection for, due to her role in his childhood. He and all the Potter actors must be sick of those types of questions by now.   

It's just a complete and utter no-win situation for them. When Grint just flatly says, "I stand with the trans community" he gets cast as an ungrateful prick who has turned his back on the woman who gave him a career.

So he tries to communicate that he still has some affection for Rowling by likening her to a family member, and that evidently makes him a sexist, ageist wanker.

I grew up with young aunties who I looked upto and who taught me how to appreciate music, so I find this all utterly preposterous.

canadagoose

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on January 16, 2022, 07:00:49 AMThe previous thread featured Lennon/McCartney and Leonard Cohen. Anyway, here's Lonnard Donegan:

Oh, this cunt's gone bananas
He wears a wizard's hat.
He don't wash cum-stained trousers,
And he lives in a griefhole flat.

He sounds a proper nana,
When his journalisms plop.
It's a vile, sordid pastime
For the one-time Twitter cop.

Some people make a fortune,
Others make a mint.
This cunt's too thick for grifting,
In fact he's flipping skint.

Some slebs write lists at Christmas,
And others just keep schtum.
But either way the 'nanas cunt
Will lay into his showbiz chum.

Oh, this cunt's gone bananas...

This is an underappreciated post.

Milo

BritishHobo

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2022, 12:04:19 PMWonder how much he plans to resell them for.

This also in reply to the idea that the Harry Potter guy is being ageist (and sexist):

It's a great Schrodinger's Cat this, I keep seeing it on Twitter. The Harry Potter actors were all handpicked by The Genius, Rowling, but they're also simultaneously absolute shit. Which undermines Rowling's supposedly great critical insights.

It shows the mad desire to just go as extreme as possible. They're incapable of just disagreeing with Rupert Grint's views, they have to also say he's the shittest actor ever and a worthless garbage secret hitler.

And saying the same about Dan and Emma, that they're appalling actors. I find it hard to believe that they actually believe it. Just lashing out - as you say, trying to be as petty as possible, to paint the actors as being terrible on every level.

kngen

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2022, 12:04:19 PM

He also played Cheetah Chrome in that CBGBs film - I mean, granted, it was a load of shite. But Cheetah fucking Chrome. That's cooler than anything these monomaniacal permanently online fuckwits could dream about doing with their lives, so they should probably stop drawing attention to it.

Catalogue Trousers

wrec

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 13:11When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2022, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: some transphobic moronI remember being young and thinking old people didn't know stuff, and then I became more aware, and realized they knew what they were talking about.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 16, 2022, 01:27:47 PMIt's a great Schrodinger's Cat this, I keep seeing it on Twitter. The Harry Potter actors were all handpicked by The Genius, Rowling, but they're also simultaneously absolute shit. Which undermines Rowling's supposedly great critical insights.

It shows the mad desire to just go as extreme as possible. They're incapable of just disagreeing with Rupert Grint's views, they have to also say he's the shittest actor ever and a worthless garbage secret hitler.

And saying the same about Dan and Emma, that they're appalling actors. I find it hard to believe that they actually believe it. Just lashing out - as you say, trying to be as petty as possible, to paint the actors as being terrible on every level.
I reckon a lot of them struggle not to lose the place and insult the franchise generally. Probably happens.

Quote from: Jumblegraws on January 16, 2022, 01:49:15 PMI reckon a lot of them struggle not to lose the place and insult the franchise generally. Probably happens.

The official line at the moment is the "books are great, but the films were shit" or at a push "the films were saved by the adult actors and the special effects".

I quite liked the CBGB movie, Alan Rickman was a lot of fun.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 16, 2022, 12:00:09 PMHahaha

I came to post this, because (1) the implication is so obviously "please go and bother him on my behalf", and (2) the "former fan" is almost certainly Graham, donating the tickets himself to facilitate (1).

Not a word on Terfie Award Winner Maya Forstarter making a bunch of disgusting statements about "holes", surprising nobody.

Dr Rock

'I'll have them'

'Oh, sorry I just gave away the imaginary tickets a minute a go'

idunnosomename

Yeah I was laughing at the idea that two of his fans would go and shout "WHAT IS A WOMAN STU?!? WHY CANT YOU SAY?!? HEALTHY BREAST CHILDREN! GAY TISSUE!!" despite all Graham has had done to him is put on a list with a bunch of other variously annoying/disappointing/bad people

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Milo on January 16, 2022, 01:17:28 PMBelter of a thread title.

By sheer coincidence, I was listening to Sheep On Drugs' '15 minutes of fame' this morning, so now it starts autoplaying in my head every time I come here.

shoulders

Quoteworthless garbage secret hitler

Available from all official Fisher Price®️ stores.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 16, 2022, 12:04:19 PMThis also in reply to the idea that the Harry Potter guy is being ageist (and sexist):

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 16, 2022, 02:11:08 PMYeah I was laughing at the idea that two of his fans would go and shout "WHAT IS A WOMAN STU?!? WHY CANT YOU SAY?!? HEALTHY BREAST CHILDREN! GAY TISSUE!!" despite all Graham has had done to him is put on a list with a bunch of other variously annoying/disappointing/bad people

It's so fucking ridiculous, especially given that the target is someone who deals with hecklers by apologising for being partially deaf, saying it's too late to change the material now, then ignoring them. How do they picture the exchange going, exactly?

The Late Satoru Iwata

Hello, visiting transphobes. Just wanted to mention that even just within my friend group I can easily think of* twelve perfectly healthy, unwanted breasts that got cut out and thrown into a medical incinerator. So far none of the previous owners have expressed any desire to have them back.

Have a lovely day.

*probably more if I wrack my brain or go through my Facebook contacts.

greencalx

Is there an official line on when actors are required to endorse the views of the author whose works have been adapted for the stage or screen? Does it apply to everyone, or just Ralph and co when it come's to JKR's views on gender specifically? Oh no, we're not transphobic they say...

Sebastian Cobb

It's quite hard to cast child antisemites for Roald Dahl adaptations.

Barry Admin

Dinosaur appropriation getting them heated now. Absolutely hilarious.

dead-ced-dead

We should make a push to reclaim dinosaurs. Or at least give dinos back to Dr. Alan Grant.

Where they belong.