Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Books critiquing free market capitalism

Started by shoulders, February 09, 2022, 01:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoulders

https://shepherd.com/best-books/critiquing-free-market-fundamentalism

Francesca Martinez recommended this compilation of books. Just wondered if people had read any of them and if so which ones to try and which to avoid.

The Entrepreneurial State looks interesting, if seemingly US-centric.

Please/cheers/thank you kindly.

Gethin Grave

I haven't read any of the books in the list, but I read Ha-Joon Chang's "Economics: A User's Guide" and it was pretty good. Recently I've read one or two books from the 1960's on a similar theme, such as Vance Packard's "The Waste Makers" which shows that these bastards have been around for decades.

All Surrogate

I've not read any in the list, I'm afraid, so can't give advice in that regard. I like Debunking Economics by Steve Keen, even though I don't agree fully with him.

Of course, there's Capital by Karl Marx.

chveik

verso does good deals for this sort of litterature

Talulah, really!

Quote from: shoulders on February 09, 2022, 01:42:36 PMhttps://shepherd.com/best-books/critiquing-free-market-fundamentalism

Francesca Martinez recommended this compilation of books. Just wondered if people had read any of them and if so which ones to try and which to avoid.

The Entrepreneurial State looks interesting, if seemingly US-centric.

Please/cheers/thank you kindly.

Francesca Martinez? Not her usual material then.

Have read the latter two, The Entrepreneurial State and Bad Samaritans, they are both absolutely fine for what they are, if there is a sliding scale from dry as dust academic tomes to chatty 'The Dummies Guide to cats explaining Nuclear Physics' they sit just to the left of the mid-point. Both use anecdotes and case studies to make their arguments clear and accessible with the authors coming from a place of experts making subjects in their chosen fields available to the average reader rather than a generalist writer grazing on a hot topic.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Talulah, really! on February 09, 2022, 09:57:00 PMFrancesca Martinez? Not her usual material then.
Looks like the list has been compiled by her brother.

Are any of the Naomi Klein books any good? I keep meaning to look into them, it looks like some of them might supersede some of the previous ones based on the titles (shows how much research I've done).

Famous Mortimer

I'm reading "23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism" at the mo, which is good, but I get the feeling I'm not the target audience for it (only partially because in the introduction, he says "capitalism is the best system humanity's come up with"). Still, I'd suggest it would be a good book if you've been largely uninterested in politics or economics but sensed things weren't quite right.

I've got Mark Fisher's Capitalist Realism: Is There No Alternative? lined up to read after I've worked through his other book Ghosts Of My Life (which is great btw, and is a line of thought that I expect would appeal to many on here given that it links depression, politics, hauntology and pop music)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6763725-capitalist-realism