Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:36:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Distant Artillery' from the Jam DVD

Started by Goldentony, February 13, 2022, 04:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

Always wondered what this was and what it sounded like. Links long gone now from the DVD, was it just exactly as it's descibed? Anyone know who created it? Anyone still HAVE IT?

Dragon

The jamcredits site was active until at least early 2006, which is when I saved the artillery files. They were probably available until the site went down.

You had a choice of RealPlayer, OGG or MP3 format (and maybe a fourth option). MP3 was the biggest at 54mb, that took a bit of dedication in those days.

The file itself is a clean 60 minutes of a single, simple thudding sound repeating at random intervals, with some variation in amplitude and some stereo panning going on. It was very quiet, and not very exciting as it was just one sound. It didn't sound like a bomb or an explosion.

I actually tried setting it up with the speakers behind me, just as the DVD described without asking myself stupid questions, but it wasn't really worth doing. It's just as much of a gimmick as the other DVD options like "Minatured Version".

Sadly I don't have the file anymore, but you could make it yourself very easily. Get a sample pack with a thudding sound (or a better sound) and just repeatedly paste into the timeline of a video/audio/any media software.

Who made it? Probably the same people who designed the website. Morris (and Adrian Sutton) wouldn't have been involved, maybe it wasn't even their idea?

Goldentony

QuoteWho made it? Probably the same people who designed the website. Morris (and Adrian Sutton) wouldn't have been involved, maybe it wasn't even their idea?

ah Maybe, sounds likely but the distant artillery gimmick does fit in with all the other daft pointless extras. Might have been his idea and maybe just allowed to let someone go off and get on with it.

thanks for the description too. A thud! curious when there must be tons of artillery FX sounds about. Think id still like to hear this TBH because its the one thing I never bothered with on the original DVD.

Spiral King

Quote from: Goldentony on February 13, 2022, 04:42:04 AMAlways wondered what this was and what it sounded like. Links long gone now from the DVD, was it just exactly as it's descibed? Anyone know who created it? Anyone still HAVE IT?

I have you covered, chief. For some reason, it's 57 minutes and 37 seconds long, but only 30 minutes is filled with the distant artillery fire and the rest is silence. Even more bizarre when you consider the average jam episode clocked in at around 23 - 25 minutes.

Anyway, there it is for anyone who wants it. I believe there was a RealAudio version as well, which I don't have a copy of, but I suspect it's exactly the same.

Goldentony

that's amazing, cheers! thud action, finally. See everyone in a few hours.

Yeah as Dragon mentioned, went looking for it and there was RM and an OGG VORBIS option for anyone into OGG VORBIS