Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:59:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

3 Vax and 1 positive

Started by Jasha, March 02, 2022, 07:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Had 2 doses of Astra Zenica last summer and a Pfizer just before Christmas so felt pretty bullet proof till a positive lateral flow at work yesterday, what the fucks going on!?

olliebean

Your booster protection against infection will have mostly worn off by now. You should still have a decent protection against serious illness, and the infection will leave you with stronger and longer lasting immunity than you got from the vaccines.

Funcrusher

The vax has never been claimed to prevent catching Covid as far as I know, just to protect from a serious illness and hospitalisation. And it is going to wear off. I get the flu jab every year and by February I'm susceptible to any new strains.

jobotic

Just amount of Covid about innit? I know more people who have had Covid since getting boosters than I did all the time leading up to them being available, including in my household. None have been seriously ill though. Nothing worse than a bad cold.

badaids

Mate of fine got Covid just before Xmas, and admitted to me that he was an anti-vaxxer and hadn't had the jabs but not told anypne.

Ended up in hospital for one week, got out and had a minor stroke, still hasn't got sight back in one eye.

When I had the C19 it was just like a bad cold.

So yes he regrets not having the jabs now.

JamesTC

He can only see the error of his ways through one eye.

Glebe

Aw no sorry to hear it. Get well soon.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Beastie Boys consider rewrite

Jasha

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on March 02, 2022, 01:13:03 PMBeastie Boys consider rewrite

Beck considers rewrite

Just a bit odd/annoying that it's the first time I've been positive in the whole 2 years of it. Still though 10 days off work so mustn't grumble

flotemysost

Quote from: Jasha on March 02, 2022, 03:07:20 PMJust a bit odd/annoying that it's the first time I've been positive in the whole 2 years of it.

This was me a few weeks ago. Was genuinely feeling a bit smug, thinking I must have some sort of mysterious super-gene that had deflected it all this time (I already knew loads of fully vaxxed people who had it over Christmas, so wasn't banking on that alone), but nooo.

Get well soon - as others have said, having had three jabs should at least protect you from the worst of it.

QDRPHNC

I've only gone and got it, after a solid almost 2 year run there of not having it. My boy has been isolating at my place with it, we both did our rapid tests yesterday, his was still positive, mine negative. Then a few hours later it hit me, feels like a bad head cold right now, with some muscles aches thrown in.

Alberon

That's what I've got. The current variant does seem less severe in general even before you take the shots and booster into account.

Two people I know at work caught it last year before the booster became available. One of them still has problems getting breathless with physical exertion and the other still hasn't got a sense of taste back.

The US is already talking about a second booster and I suspect we'll be having a new one every year when we get our flu shots for the rest of our lives.

QDRPHNC

Hope you're doing ok. I've been awake all night but I don't feel terrible, just lots of pressure in my head, so it hurts behind the eyes, the bridge of my nose, my teeth a bit. From what I've read the head pressure indicates it might be omicron, which would also explain the my rapid test showed negative, it's less sensitive to that variant.

Alberon

My wife tested negative three times after falling ill so we thought that it just had to be a bad cold. Finally registered a positive about five days in.

I'm fine. I got nearly five hours of sleep last night and compared to the first night when I was never asleep for more than twenty minutes I feel much more human.

QDRPHNC

I tested negative on Thursday morning, the symptoms hit me hard on Thursday night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were a blur of napping, headaches, aching muscles and a stuffed nose, then this morning I woke up feeling (almost) right as rain. Remarkable, both how fast it came on, and how fast it left too.

Glebe

jamiefairlie

Quote from: olliebean on March 02, 2022, 10:07:35 AMYour booster protection against infection will have mostly worn off by now. You should still have a decent protection against serious illness, and the infection will leave you with stronger and longer lasting immunity than you got from the vaccines.

Is that proven? My understanding was that there was no proven difference between vaccines and having the virus.

olliebean

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 04, 2022, 07:11:17 PMIs that proven? My understanding was that there was no proven difference between vaccines and having the virus.

There's a graph from a CDC study, that Dr John Campbell has shown in several of his videos, showing that the rate of reinfection after having the virus is lower than the rate of infection after just having the vaccine. (I can't find any of those videos atm, so I don't have a link to the study, but this video by Drbeen covers it and shows the same graph: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwtXigq9GO8)

Unfortunately I've gone off Dr Campbell a bit recently, since he's recently been strongly implying (despite always being careful to say he's not recommending it) that it might be a good idea to deliberately get infected, for the natural immunity.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: olliebean on April 04, 2022, 10:47:06 PM.

Unfortunately I've gone off Dr Campbell a bit recently, since he's recently been strongly implying (despite always being careful to say he's not recommending it) that it might be a good idea to deliberately get infected, for the natural immunity.

I suppose the thinking is, the virus circulating now is less likely to put you in hospital. Irresponsible I guess, I'm torn.

Uncle TechTip

Also my wife has it for the second time in 6 months, with a booster in between. She's not as ill as last time but back then she was very unwell for a couple of days. Both times imported from school by our son. Plague-ridden bastard.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 04, 2022, 04:23:51 PMI tested negative on Thursday morning, the symptoms hit me hard on Thursday night. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were a blur of napping, headaches, aching muscles and a stuffed nose, then this morning I woke up feeling (almost) right as rain. Remarkable, both how fast it came on, and how fast it left too.

Yeah that's what I remember as well. It gets in, wrecks your shop, then is done almost as quick. The recovery on the other side takes longer than you think (I felt fine, but still slept 12+ hours for a few days after symptoms).

Glad everyone is feeling better. I think at this point it's just a matter of time for basically everyone, so best to get it and have it out the way.

Definitely made me glad of the vaccines though. Bet it's a tough old fucker if you're not prepared for it.

olliebean

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 04, 2022, 10:50:12 PMI suppose the thinking is, the virus circulating now is less likely to put you in hospital. Irresponsible I guess, I'm torn.

That seems to be the reasoning, along with a bit of best get it now before the booster protection wanes too much. There's still not enough known about possible long-term effects, though, and I've seen enough people with ongoing health issues after recovering from the infection that I'm not keen to go out of my way to catch it.