Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

MB seems to operate in a similar way to The Stand as far as not bankrupting the performers + is in a better location for walk-ups.
They also have a lot of goodwill after their work last year in getting a bit of a festival going at short notice.

CaledonianGonzo

Nic Sampson - Marathon, 1904
Comic historical storytelling show detailing the improbable but all too real events of the marathon event at St Louis Olympics in 1904.  Nic weaves a compelling narrative, fleshing it out with wit and colour as he inhabits a variety of competitors and officials as the race goes off the rails in scarcely believable fashion.  Stay away from the Wikipedia article prior to buying your ticket and you're assured of an entertaining and educating hour as a grueling endurance event devolves into a farce.

privatefriend

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 08, 2022, 10:22:32 AMStewart Lee - Basic Lee (WIP)
Reliably good fun, but - even though I've seen him dozens of time now - I was still generally unsure as to whether the audience baiting in this show is scripted or genuine and he really was expecting more laughter in the room.  Would be interested to hear from anyone who was there on the Friday morning.

I was there on Saturday and he was doing the whole yesterdays audience was much better thing, so don't feel too bad about yourself.

He also kept staring at me. Good show though.

CaledonianGonzo

Yeah - it was Saturday that I was there too. Just wondering whether he also did it on Friday.

privatefriend

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 08, 2022, 01:02:42 PMYeah - it was Saturday that I was there too. Just wondering whether he also did it on Friday.

Ah, my mistake. Maybe we were a poor audience. Not sure what he expects at 10am.

BritishHobo

I adore Lee and I will be seeing Basic Lee on the tour, but I've never understood how him doing 'ooh that section of the audience didn't get it' is functionally any different from any comedian repeating the same bit of material in every show.

privatefriend

There was no dividing the room, more that he was pretending to be upset that we (the whole audience) didn't find the unfinished material he was reading off bits of paper as hilarious as he had imagined.

greencalx

On the strength of CG's review, I have booked in Ricote for next Tuesday, when I will be conveniently be based in a building a few minutes walk from the venue for the day...

CaledonianGonzo

Shelf - Hair
Engaging debut show with a strong LGBTQ+ focus and charming songs on identity and gender.  It probably falls more on the amusing side of the laugh-o-meter than ever spilling into outright hilarity, but the pair are fine company for an hour and it went down a treat with a full house.  As per usual for a debut hour there's more autobiography and stall-setting-out, but the long friendship the pair have shines through and the tone is always light, spritely and nimble.

CaledonianGonzo

Frankie Thompson - Catts
Real curate's egg this one, a potentially divisive slice of clowning and lip-sync about.. ..well, I'm not quite sure. Probably not about cats at any rate. Admittedly it was at the end of quite a long day, but I'm not sure if I ever quite cracked its code.  I probably would need to see it again to have a definitive opinion about it, but in the moment it didn't quite gel together and I'm not sure if ever added up to more than the sum of its parts. But it's defiantly its own thing and not really like much I've seen before, so I'd probably recommend for those seeking the thrill of the new.

Blue Jam

Anyone seen Janeane Garofolo's show? I don't want to go to anything too political or angry that would depress me, but she's a living legend and all that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0crcyxn

Sounds more loose and rambling. And possibly a bit adorable.

greencalx

Am I right in thinking there's no BBC tent this year? Not that it's a major go-to, but was a good place to hang out with the wee one between shows.

the science eel

Well I know where it's been in previous years - the big illuminated sign out on the lawn and all that - and it's not there now. So unless they've moved it...

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: greencalx on August 08, 2022, 07:45:57 PMAm I right in thinking there's no BBC tent this year? Not that it's a major go-to, but was a good place to hang out with the wee one between shows.

There is, but it's (apparently) down in the St James Centre for some reason or other.

greencalx

Ah right, yes, I think I read that somewhere. Really very conveniently not between any venues. (Well, I suppose it's sort of between the Stand and the Pleasance).

JCR

Quote from: Blue Jam on August 08, 2022, 03:43:41 PMAnyone seen Janeane Garofolo's show? I don't want to go to anything too political or angry that would depress me, but she's a living legend and all that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0crcyxn

Sounds more loose and rambling. And possibly a bit adorable.

I saw her in the big room in the gilded balloon years ago; she was Bill Hicks but less angry basically. She said she was on so many prescription drugs she can't keep a train of thought, don't think she was joking, she repeatedly asked the audience what she was talking about before she got off track. She was okay though. There are probably better options in the time slot

JCR

Oh yeah and Garofalo did a weird bit where see complained food options in Edinburgh were not as good as New York City. Somehow she was surprised by this.

You go to Palmyra Pizza and you like it Janeane.

greencalx

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I really hate it when people do that.

I'm not going to claim that Edinburgh is a centre of culinary excellence, but like most cities - particularly touristy cities - worldwide, you have to work a bit to find stuff that both matches your taste and is well-executed, and sometimes need a bit of local knowledge. Relying on your intuition from other cultures is risky: I've lost count of the number of folk coming to work in the UK and getting their bread from a petrol station - because apparently that's where you get it in the home country - and then wondering why it's so shit. (Although, tbf, these days well-baked bread is both hard to find and ruinously expensive). EDIT: And it must be said that the Fringe pop-ups are an absolute fucking racket.

Anyway, we're off to see three supposedly family-friendly shows today. Will report back if anything amuses, as I think there are others round here in this market.

Went to see Tom Walker's show Javelin last night and just want to add to the positive comments it's already had in this thread. Amazingly performed and genuinely hilarious throughout. Definitely one I'd recommend!

kitsofan34

Day 4.

Tony Law: A Now Begin in Again.

***/5.

My first time seeing Law, after hearing about him for so long. A ramshackle show, devoid of anything approaching substance. Classic Tone Zone, I suppose.

Thankfully he avoided any anti-woke material almost entirely.

The
Spoiler alert
horse race
[close]
at the end was fun and the inclusion of his Tall Son was endearing.

Jessica Fostekew.

Wench.

***/5.

Rapid fire delivery. Probably the best of the traditional, let me tell you about my life, stand ups that I've watched.

Chloe Petts: Transcience.

** 1/4 out of 5.

I'd somehow gone into this thinking Chloe is trans, and that this show was about her coming out as trans. So the show was rather jarring.

I didn't enjoy her cocky, "alpha male" persona and found the material quite run of the mill.

Julia Masli: CHOOSH!

*** 3/4 out of 5.

The pre show hangout spot at the venue has the worst vibes I've experienced all Fringe. It is a damp, sterile white room, reminiscent of Hitler's bunker.

The show itself is absolutely adorable. A welcome change of pace, playful, innovative and original.

It lives and dies based on the crowd's willingness to interact with Julia. Some were more forthcoming than others.

The ending was a bit underwhelming, I'd have preferred if the character's happiness wasn't so inherently linked to
Spoiler alert
her job.
[close]

Day 5.

Stewart Lee: Basic Lee. (Work in Progress).

*** 1/4 out of 5.

Not what I imagined the Stand to look like!

I liked the idea of the show being Lee doing traditional stand up in a sort of knowing, ironic manner. This is not that and the same old familiar beats are there.

It's quite rough round the edges and will need some work, though I'm sure that'll happen over the next three weeks.

No crowd work whatsoever, in fact he praised the Stand audiences quite a few times for being such educated comedy fans. His ire was dedicated to the Snowflake audience at the other place.

The beats are just all too familiar to me now, maybe this Fringe has been a shift in my comedy tastes, growing into a fondness for more out there stuff. I also don't see Lee as he gets older changing up much of said beats.

~~~

This is the end of my trip to Edinburgh and I've really enjoyed it. If I come again I intend to have much more variety in what I go see. More theatre, more music.

Thank you so much once again to everyone who has helped with recommendations and reviews in this thread.

CaledonianGonzo

You definitely got fairly decent weather for it. An August miracle.

edwardfog

I feel you on Stewart Lee. Still the most formative and influential standup for me for his run in the mid noughties but I'm surprised so many people are still going to see him. Feels like he's been stuck in a rut for a while now. Especially at the Fringe there's so many shows with more vitality going on

edwardfog

Glad to see Julia Masli and Tom Walker getting some love

Rolf Lundgren

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62464032

I've never been to the Fringe but this is a non-story isn't it? Comedian only gets one audience member turn up. There must be loads of shows that don't receive any people let alone one.

the science eel

Quote from: edwardfog on August 09, 2022, 01:43:18 PMI feel you on Stewart Lee. Still the most formative and influential standup for me for his run in the mid noughties but I'm surprised so many people are still going to see him. Feels like he's been stuck in a rut for a while now. Especially at the Fringe there's so many shows with more vitality going on

no, no

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 09, 2022, 01:45:11 PMhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-62464032

I've never been to the Fringe but this is a non-story isn't it? Comedian only gets one audience member turn up. There must be loads of shows that don't receive any people let alone one.

I guess in most instances the act would opt not to proceed.  The one time it happened to me as a punter we both agreed to let the guy off the hook with it.

But fair enough to the guy for cracking on with it and getting a sales bump out of it.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: edwardfog on August 09, 2022, 01:43:18 PMI feel you on Stewart Lee. Still the most formative and influential standup for me for his run in the mid noughties but I'm surprised so many people are still going to see him. Feels like he's been stuck in a rut for a while now. Especially at the Fringe there's so many shows with more vitality going on

Not at 10am in a small room...

edwardfog

Quote from: the science eel on August 09, 2022, 01:48:18 PMno, no

No which part? Old tricks still going strong? No one else at the Fringe at the same level?

Not bear baiting, just interested. He's a very important figure for me, but I've been at least a little disappointed with every show since Milder Comedian.

the science eel

just posted

Stew's picks of the Fringe so far
#edfringe2022
EDINBUEGH EXTRA 1 – Stewart Lee AUG 7TH 2022.1
POSTED BY STEWART LEE MONDAY, AUGUST 8TH, 2022
The first week of the fringe has passed and my goal of seeing 100 shows/exhibitions/happenings this month seems distant, as I have so far managed a mere 10.
My goal of not being a drunk argumentative twat at 1 am in the morning is going well though.
Here are my top 6 shows so far...
Alasdair Beckett-King – Nevermore – Pleasance Dome 7PM Great writerly material which has enough room to breathe to make it feel like it's alive, and a well-judged and non-interventionist use of tech. Precise and very funny.
Paul Currie – The Chorus of Ghosts Living in My Skull Keep Telling Me to Take a Shit in the Fruit Salad – Just The Tonic @ Caves 9PM Best show I've seen so far. A surrealist revivalist church meeting in which anything can happen. Brilliant clowning and unexpected hints of the personal.
An Evening Without Kate Bush – Assembly George Sq Gardens 5.55PM A Bush-consumed lady channels Bush fandom with persuasive charm, genuine warmth, and accurate choreography
Fascinating Aida – Assembly George Square 6PM Sophisticated satirical songs, performed by jazz-age cabaret muso-dames, with unexpected angry edges and fantastic internal rhyme schemes
Jonny & The Baptists – Dance Like It Never Happened – Assembly George Square 4PM High energy satirical folk-pop sure to make you dance in your seat, hate the Tories, and question God.
Mavelus – All The Marvel Movies ... Kind Of! – Just The Tonic Caves 6.10 PM Two deeply humane nerds impro-comedy their way through the MCU, making massive and imaginative use of limited props. Great if you know your Marvel movies, and probably weirdly enjoyable if you don't.
Ten down, 90 to go.
That's 30 shows a week, or just over 4 a day, for the next 3 weeks. Will I make it?