Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:00:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2022

Started by JCR, March 03, 2022, 02:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crabwalk

Greencalx was sadly never seen again and I can't help but feel partially responsible.

Crabwalk

I've tried to forget what those lockdowns were like but Tim Key brought the full horror flooding back with his special combo of confrontation/charm. Laughed my balls off. I like to think greencalx was in there too somewhere, chuckling away, and not drowning in a gutter outside, gurgling CaB usernames into the filth.

Crabwalk

DrGreggles

FAO: Whoever said Sam Campbell's new show was 85% ready

He's found the other 15%

DrGreggles

Nice to have a couple of beers with Crabwalk and greencalx too, in the glorious evening sunshine.

greencalx

Rumours of my death are exaggerated. It was great not going to Tim Key with you DrG: it was every bit as good as you said it was going to be. I don't see much comedy these days, but this was a huge highlight. A great stage presence, excellent audience management and a gentle sophisticated humour.

dissolute ocelot

Saw Sam Nicoresti and Sheeps, both of which were lots of fun in very different ways. Although both were self-referential and full of energy.

Heidi Regan gives birth live on stage or your money back didn't live up to the title but was a warm and sympathetic show about relationships, considering having a baby, time travel geekiness, etc. I'm indifferent to the thing where a comedian harps on endlessly about a joke they admit is not working, but some other nice stuff.

Andrew Nolan work in progress was fairly basic stuff about Irish Catholic sex education and poo, but lots of laughs.

Yesterday (Monday 15th) was wet though. I worry about basement venues when it's like this. If you're in a cave, there's nowhere for the water to go.

Crabwalk

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 16, 2022, 10:35:27 AMNice to have a couple of beers with Crabwalk and greencalx too, in the glorious evening sunshine.

Likewise. It really was like being on the French Riviera, if you had fallen into the sea.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 16, 2022, 10:34:00 AMFAO: Whoever said Sam Campbell's new show was 85% ready

He's found the other 15%

Ah, that was me, and it's great to hear. And I didn't really mean it as a criticism, more that Campbell himself was very aware that certain parts didn't really have an ending when I saw him, but I'm really glad it didn't take him long to finish them, and I'm such a huge fan that if he plays London post Fringe I'll definitely see him again.

In previous years, there was an aggregator of fringe show reviews, does anybody remember what this was and whether it's about this year? Might have been The List website who did it or something? It's always entertaining to see the reviewers' consensus as to who is/was the best (and worst) at Edinburgh.

CaledonianGonzo

It was The List and it doesn't appear to be there any more which is annoying as it was pretty useful.

Shame. Always fun to see who is actually getting worse reviews than Lewis Schaffer.

CaledonianGonzo

This year that's Sophie Duker

(not really....but I have seen a few pans)

DrGreggles

I haven't seen Duker, but neither of the 2 people I know who have thought it was much cop.
Sold out weeks ago too.

edwardfog

Yeah it's a big disappointment after her debut

greencalx

Just out of Lara Ricote (although she seems to call herself Lala). Horrid, horrid venue, as she acknowledges herself. Possibly the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in. As CG says, an excellent and assured performer, one of those people where you know you're in safe hands from the get-go. I was anticipating that she would maintain the same manic energy of the first few minutes, but am glad she didn't as that would have been exhausting. It's a show in the 'ragbag of things' mould, loosely connected by the theme of being Mexican, a girl and deaf. But very, very loosely. She flubbed her lines a few times, but was so good natured about everything it didn't matter. I expect she will keep refining her craft and, again as CG says, I would expect her to become a name quite quickly. EDIT: although maybe not here, because it turns out she does live in the Netherlands and mostly performs there.

I was a bit confused by the ticketing policy - was charged for the ticket but also asked for cash on the way out. Wasn't entirely sure what to do. Is this very common?

Twilkes

Quote from: Malcy on August 06, 2022, 04:34:05 PMThank you, will have a look at these.

Dragons & Mythical Beasts was great but I wouldn't bother with Chores unless the children are maybe 6 or under. My 5 year old liked it but it felt at least 15 minutes too long.

edwardfog

Quote from: greencalx on August 16, 2022, 05:15:08 PMJust out of Lara Ricote (although she seems to call herself Lala). Horrid, horrid venue, as she acknowledges herself. Possibly the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in. As CG says, an excellent and assured performer, one of those people where you know you're in safe hands from the get-go. I was anticipating that she would maintain the same manic energy of the first few minutes, but am glad she didn't as that would have been exhausting. It's a show in the 'ragbag of things' mould, loosely connected by the theme of being Mexican, a girl and deaf. But very, very loosely. She flubbed her lines a few times, but was so good natured about everything it didn't matter. I expect she will keep refining her craft and, again as CG says, I would expect her to become a name quite quickly. EDIT: although maybe not here, because it turns out she does live in the Netherlands and mostly performs there.

I was a bit confused by the ticketing policy - was charged for the ticket but also asked for cash on the way out. Wasn't entirely sure what to do. Is this very common?

Glad you enjoyed it. The "tipping" thing at the end of shows is very common because at any given show there are often plenty of people who didn't pre-pay, whether because they walked in without booking or got some kind of press pass.

And then half of it is probably just an acknowledgment of the ruinous costs of performing at Edinburgh, so every little helps if the patrons are feeling generous

lipsink

https://twitter.com/mattforde/status/1559517801269846017?t=xdBP3EN1pdeAqvHIIX9YOg&s=19

This is quite funny. If it was anyone else I'd feel for them but the fact it's Matt Forde (and the wording of his tweet reading like a supply teacher telling off his class) it couldn't have happened to a better cunt.

Crabwalk

The prick's poster is everywhere up here.

Lesson for Matt Forde: If you put literal clowns on your poster and in the name of your show, don't be surprised if some people show up with infants.

lipsink

Yeah, every time I walk past his poster (and Iain fucking Dale's) I feel a bit of sick in mouth.

JCR

Colt Cabana and John Hastings are playing the Monkey Barrel this Friday-Sat-Sunday, that will be a really good show, been performed so many times they've got it perfect.

CaledonianGonzo

Paul Currie's still doing the bread fight?

(Great review 😉)

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Crabwalk on August 17, 2022, 10:55:08 AMThe prick's poster is everywhere up here.

Lesson for Matt Forde: If you put literal clowns on your poster and in the name of your show, don't be surprised if some people show up with infants.

That's some strange logic you have there.

edwardfog

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 18, 2022, 11:26:39 AMPaul Currie's still doing the bread fight?

(Great review 😉)

Haha I didn't know that was old gear. Should have knocked another half star off

Crabwalk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 18, 2022, 12:29:55 PMThat's some strange logic you have there.

I think anyone that takes an under 12 to his show should sue him for false advertising.

Crabwalk

Over 12s should have no complaints, however. Forde clearly states on his poster that he is surrounded by comedians and entertainers in Edinburgh, but is incapable of bringing joy to an audience himself.

DrGreggles

Forde's is the only poster I've seen with abuse written on it.
But, to be fair, my pen ran out shortly afterwards.

CaledonianGonzo

Anyone got any hot tips, good vibes or industry buzz for the dreaded circa 6-ish pm slot.  Current contenders include:

Micky Overman
Ted Hill
Sarah Keyworth
Sindhu Vee
Mark Silcox

godber

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on August 18, 2022, 08:29:03 PMAnyone got any hot tips, good vibes or industry buzz for the dreaded circa 6-ish pm slot.  Current contenders include:

Micky Overman
Ted Hill
Sarah Keyworth
Sindhu Vee
Mark Silcox

Michelle Brasier is on at 6.25 in George Square - very funny (and incredibly talented) singer/standup with a moving show about her family's health.