Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:37:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

" Killing Eve" Backlash

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, March 11, 2022, 07:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Maybe her who Lisa fancies will finally get around to Killing Eve.

Retinend

I've half watched a few episodes with my wife, who's a fan. I quite fancy a backlash by this point. Yeah I think the writing is try-hard: aspirational settings, shiny office spaces, high powered meetings, secret service and shady hitmen, and still everyone speaks in this salty, opinionated, but still self-conscious way that is oh so current.

Galeee

And then they shot some scenes in MARGATE

Dex Sawash

Just looked to see if I am caught up, none of the episode blurbs look familiar so not sure

Ant Farm Keyboard

They're reusing the same gimmick over and over. In the middle of a supposedly riveting confrontation, one character will suddenly do something typically girlish.

Ant Farm Keyboard

As nobody has bothered to comment on Killing Eve for three weeks...

Ultimately, it was less some backlash than every series after the first one failing to be interesting or connected to the previous one, especially with the revolving door of showrunners and the lack of connecting themes besides the central relationship (which was oversold). Kenny's death matters, until it doesn't, then it matters back. Carolyn's never before mentioned daughter reveals a lot about her own character in the third series (even if it was excruciatingly boring), and nothing in the fourth, where she barely gets a mention in the dialog.

Watching the finale turned to be a chore and I did it mostly to be done with it for good. It suffers from the introduction of supposedly major characters at the 11th hour (like Gunn, the proto-Villanelle), incoherences that are indicative of general sloppiness, every character switching allegiances in an heartbeat, and the worst crime of every show that thinks it's more than what it actually was (a fun spy thriller where the major characters are all women, played by fine actress, including an extremely impressive newcomer), building some mythology nobody cares about.

neveragain

You're quite right. I actually enjoyed the last episode in a brainless way but it was a big anti-climactic mess. The plot made no sense by the end however I'd long stopped caring (probably around series two). It's a shame because there was a very good show in there, as evidenced by the scenes in the finale that were just the two leads together, and if Fleabag had stuck around it may have found its way.

There were many moments I enjoyed (Jodie Comer should win some awards) but it's left me with more complaints. Kim Bodnia's character bored me rigid. But it was the writing really, none of the characters felt real and it was all too silly. Mixed with, as said above, that pompous self-regard which often drained all the life from it. Which leaves me amused by the response it's getting now.

Ha, remember the Julian Barratt episode? That was stupid, wasn't it? And that whole thing of the man who lived in the big glass house. Anyway... that's that.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 12, 2022, 10:54:22 AM(a fun spy thriller where the major characters are all women, played by fine actress, including an extremely impressive new Comer)

JesusAndYourBush

I've been waiting until Saturday to watch it, rather than watching 5 days earlier when the episode is put onto iplayer.  But last night an ad said that they'd put the last 2 episodes onto iplayer rather than just episode 7, so I'm gonna have to watch them both now because I can't wait.

Out of the first 6 episodes of this series I've enjoyed 4-6 a lot more than 1-3.  Just hoping they don't mess up the ending.

I like the formation dancing to Cameo - Candy in the final episode, the routine was familiar but I couldn't place it.

JesusAndYourBush

There was a song in episode 7 I liked by a group called Dead Blonde so I went and listened to a couple of albums and now I probably should feel guilty for listening to Russian music.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've not seen any of the fourth series, but I note the final episode was broadcast last Sunday ( nobody's put spoilers up about the events of the last episode, so cheers for that).

All over now, then. We're a long way from 2019: The Year Her Who Plays Villanelle Broke ( I know the first series was in 2018, but I fondly associate that year's Summer of the second season with the legendary Her Who Plays Villanelle Can't Get A Boyfriend Thread, along with a couple of others ).

Now it's all over. I bet Eve didnae even get kilt, either.End of an era, mate.

Paka, Villanelle. 😢

Alberon

Not read the above too closely as I'm only three episodes in, but so far it's like fan fiction of the real thing.

Which I suppose, in a way, it is.

Custard

This last series has been really sloppy. Though I quite enjoyed the final episode, maybe because they no longer had to stretch it or pad it out and could get on with having some kind of climax

That first series was so good, and it's been downhill all the way since then, unfortunately. It should have been a one or two series job, but these popular things never are these days, are they?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Well, at least we got to see Her Who Plays Villanelle playing Villanelle. The third series in particular  was frustratitingly aimless and padded out, the one decent episode being the one what focussed on Villanelle going to Russia to see her impressively fluent in English family.

Still, got the viewing this apparently load of old bollocks 4th series to look forward to. Amongst the highlights, it would seem, will be the sight of Her Who Plays Villanelle with a beard ( I don't mean she's filmed some scenes with Tom Cruise's wife !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😀😁😂🤣😃😄😅😆😉😊☻)

Dex Sawash

The colo(u)r can be outrageous, just saw a beach scene with a 19541 Cadillac that was particularly good.

1.) close to that year CBA to research

Alberon

Just got to the end. What a slog!

Each series was worse than the previous one and this was utter dogshit.

All the fun and inventiveness of the first series totally gone by this one.

There's supposed to be a Carolyn prequel happening. Well, they can fuck right off with that one.

Hat FM

Just finished binge watching the last series of this. took me 10 weeks or so *canned applause*.

what a load of absolute shit. shame as the first two(?) series were great.

couple of questions

Spoiler alert
so did caroline kill villanelle in the end cos she discovered she killed kenny? if so how did she find that out? annoyed me when martin from the bridge got killed. how did he not see that coming?!
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Just got round to watching the first episode of the 4th series. Complete and utterly fit bird playing Villanelle dreck. Fucking stupid insipid, inane  dialogue (" wanna have sex?" " I was out with some blankets to give to the homeless"), nonsensical plot, Eve the middle aged former secret service worker still acting like a sassy teenager, even my very self thinking " give it a rest, luv" at HWPV's face twitching, and as for HWPV turning up as Sexy Jesus...
This does not bode well. Can only hope it gets better over the next 7 episodes.

Alberon

Well,

Spoiler alert
It doesn't. In fact I think we're better off pretending this got cancelled after two series and the last two never happened.

As for the ending!
Spoiler alert
Worst Ending Ever!
[close]
[close]

Dex Sawash

I am pretty insensitive to things slowly turning shit but did ID this as reduced in quality. Have no memory of any of this final? series beyond mad colo(u)rs

Pink Gregory

so did they kill eve or what?

Joe Qunt

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Is Killing Eve like Christmas Eve?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I may well watch the second episode tonight. I'll let the boys and girls of CaB know what I think about it.It *has* to be better than that dire first episode, Shirley?

Alberon

Looking forward to your update tomorrow!

And don't call me Surely.

surreal

Hat FM

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on July 27, 2022, 01:34:02 PMI may well watch the second episode tonight. I'll let the boys and girls of CaB know what I think about it.It *has* to be better than that dire first episode, Shirley?

dont bother. i watched the whole series and, even though it was a few months ago, still regret it. i could have been watching the chase instead ffs.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Hat FM on July 27, 2022, 02:34:51 PMdont bother. i watched the whole series and, even though it was a few months ago, still regret it. i could have been watching the chase instead ffs.

Well, I'm going to persevere: for the sake of my faithful readership who long to read my witty and incisive reviews of popular culture, if nothing else

and for the other reason, orbviously.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Beware, episode 2 may cause obsession for christianity. Fortunately, it will be short-lived.