Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid - New surge

Started by shoulders, March 11, 2022, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Good to hear - I was pleased I got my result after the symptoms had come and gone because I know my anxiety would have been mega if I knew what I had as I had it.

Wife tested positive this morning so I'm the lone holdout. #FerrisStrong

purlieu

It would be an understatement to say that I'm somewhat disappointed that my symptoms have gone back to square one with fatigue, brain fog, dizziness and diarrhoea all returning this morning. Not sure if it's post-exertional malaise from yesterday or something else.

On the plus side, I've finally memorised how to spell diarrhoea this past week.

Ferris

Quote from: purlieu on May 01, 2022, 02:15:09 PMIt would be an understatement to say that I'm somewhat disappointed that my symptoms have gone back to square one with fatigue, brain fog, dizziness and diarrhoea all returning this morning. Not sure if it's post-exertional malaise from yesterday or something else.

Sorry to hear this, you'll be back at it soon enough but shit one that it's sticking around longer than you'd like.

QuoteOn the plus side, I've finally memorised how to spell diarrhoea this past week.

Dash in a run, really hurry or else accident.

purlieu

Had an almost miraculous improvement this afternoon (more on this another time). Still pretty weak, but almost all the ME symptoms have majorly abated. I definitely have to accept that it's going to be a bit back-and-forth for a while, but I'm definitely heading in the right direction again. Once I'm back to something resembling normality the things I'm looking forward to most are walking my dog and looking after my girlfriend the way she's done for me this past week or two (absolutely knocking her out in the process).

Ferris

Good to hear. Wife and nipper basically fine on my end, bit of coughing but seems like they're on the mend and symptoms haven't been too severe.

This is the new normal I suppose, once a year people will paint a red X on their doors for 2 weeks while we deal with whatever the latest variant is and get an annual booster and hope for the best.

Cloud

Line fucked off after 11 days.

Posted a picture of the tests and someone had a pop at me for plastic waste... while having a profile picture of plastic-wrapped trading cards that he sells.  Told him where to get off.  I was anxious, curious, already had the tests anyway, and waiting for a clear line to return to work

Ferris

Nothing wrong with using tests if you already have them. What else are you going to do with them?

We've been told someone may continue to test positive after 8 days but that doesn't mean they're infectious. Is that true? Should be waiting for single lines before rejoining the world?

shoulders

Quote from: Cloud on May 02, 2022, 01:30:29 AMLine fucked off after 11 days.

Posted a picture of the tests and someone had a pop at me for plastic waste...

What an absolute cunt

beanheadmcginty

Business idea: covid tests made of dried pasta that you can boil up and eat afterwards.

purlieu

Quote from: Cloud on May 02, 2022, 01:30:29 AMPosted a picture of the tests and someone had a pop at me for plastic waste...
Fucking hell. I mean I'm a very, very strong believer in everybody doing their bit to help the environment, but this is fucking ludicrous. "What do you mean you used a couple of handfuls of plastic to monitor your own health while infected with a potentially life-threatening illness? Climate change is your fault, mate."

My major post-covid symptoms are all passed now, touch wood. Got some major muscle ache going on in my legs, but that feels very different to what I had last week and is almost certainly down to actually being up and about again after three weeks in bed.

It's been an eye-opening experience and, no exaggeration, has changed my perspective on several aspects of my life.

Ferris

Still testing negative despite living in the heart of darkness, the plague capital of west Halifax, my own dear gaff.

#FerrisStillStrong

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Glad to hear your feeling better, pulieu. Not to sound like Captain comedown, but you should probably take it easy. I read recently that overexerting yourself can send you back to square one

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 02, 2022, 01:49:51 PMBusiness idea: covid tests made of dried pasta that you can boil up and eat afterwards.
There is a sort of biodegradable plastic made from starch these days. They make beer cups out of it. I'm no manufacturing expert, but it seems like a good idea for disposable stuff.

purlieu

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 02, 2022, 06:11:20 PMGlad to hear your feeling better, pulieu. Not to sound like Captain comedown, but you should probably take it easy. I read recently that overexerting yourself can send you back to square one
Thank you. And yes, I'm still limiting my exertion to preparing some meals and popping into the garden. Going to start easing back into gentle exercise next week maybe, we'll see how it goes.

Cloud

I'd be willing to bet that cunto who complained about plastic usage was a covid denialist type who thinks it's all a fuss over nothing.

Quote from: Ferris on May 02, 2022, 02:13:02 AMNothing wrong with using tests if you already have them. What else are you going to do with them?

We've been told someone may continue to test positive after 8 days but that doesn't mean they're infectious. Is that true? Should be waiting for single lines before rejoining the world?

From what I was reading you're generally safe after 5 days, 10 at worst if you want to be super careful, but may continue to test positive for up to 90 days as it identifies bits of dead virus in your snot and what have you. I was going to argue this with work if the line was going to stick around for longer 

Ferris

Quote from: Cloud on May 03, 2022, 12:08:36 AMFrom what I was reading you're generally safe after 5 days, 10 at worst if you want to be super careful, but may continue to test positive for up to 90 days as it identifies bits of dead virus in your snot and what have you. I was going to argue this with work if the line was going to stick around for longer 

Yeah it's the "still test positive" that's throwing me, but if you've fuck all symptoms then I'm sure it's alright.

Well, I've managed to avoid it for over 2 years, but I've just got my first positive LFT result.

Felt absolutely fine yesterday, until about 4:00 when I suddendly developed a bit of a tickly cough.  Was coughing a litle bit in the evening (nothing too dramatic, just a few of those short, annoying 'clear your throat' ones) then started to feel pretty tired.

Took an LFT last night (one of the just up the nose ones) and that came back negative.
Didn't sleep all that great.  Woke up at one point really hot.

Got up this morning a bit groggy and sounded like I was getting a cold.  Haven't been snotty at all today, just this slightly tickly cough and a bit tired.
Just took another LFT (one of the down the throat and up the nose ones) and, lo and behold, two clear red lines.

I'm currently back living with my parents at the moment, so I guess I'll have to just try and stay out of their way as much as possible and get them to do LFT's themselves.

Cloud

Good luck, I'm sure it'll be fine

Thought I might have already got it again (never know with all the variants and sub-variants and sub-sub-variants constantly popping up like whack-a-mole) as I have similar symptoms, but test is clear as a bell.  Just an actual shitty cold/manflu thing I guess.

As an aside, I've seen comment that flu might also come in mild cases and that "ugh I think I've got the flu" is not necessarily whinging male thing but actually something we should really be looking out for.  I'd not be averse to the idea of rapid test kits for the flu, maybe even a two in one with different lines

scarecrow

438 COVID deaths recorded yesterday, which seems like a lot.

Alberon

The UK passed 175,000 total deaths a few days back.

olliebean

Just been watching this week's Indie Sage video, they reckon there could be a new wave coming in 2-3 months from one of the new variants. Just in time to really take off in the autumn and winter and fuck up Christmas again, I guess.

bgmnts

My mother works in council and they're now saying if you have covid you cannot come into work but have to take days off normally. So presumably that means almost everyone will exclusively stop taking the tests and covid will just rise again right?

Fucking stupid pointless shit.

Alberon

Quote from: olliebean on May 06, 2022, 03:38:10 PMJust been watching this week's Indie Sage video, they reckon there could be a new wave coming in 2-3 months from one of the new variants. Just in time to really take off in the autumn and winter and fuck up Christmas again, I guess.

There was talk around the new year that another wave might come in the summer. I suppose the severity all depends on the variant. If there's no new major one the waves will get less and less severe.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: bgmnts on May 06, 2022, 04:07:54 PMMy mother works in council and they're now saying if you have covid you cannot come into work but have to take days off normally. So presumably that means almost everyone will exclusively stop taking the tests and covid will just rise again right?

Fucking stupid pointless shit.

It's disgraceful that it doesn't count as sick leave rather than having to come out of people's holiday allowance. Is it even legal for the council to count days off for sick reasons as part of their holiday allowance? I would advise staff get advice from their union.

purlieu

It's perfectly possible to get Covid and just fake another illness for a week, of course.

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on May 06, 2022, 07:20:34 PMThere was talk around the new year that another wave might come in the summer. I suppose the severity all depends on the variant. If there's no new major one the waves will get less and less severe.

There's at least a couple of variants around that are about 25% more transmissible than the currently predominant one.

steveh

Should be slightly wary of transmissibility figures for new variants as they typically start high and then settle at a lower figure once they reach a wider population.

Data for the Omicron BA.4 and BA.5 variants is still early, but does suggest some immune escape compared to the BA.1 and BA.2 waves we've had in the UK. Warmer weather and higher UV levels plus it not being as big an escape as Omicron vs Delta could damp it until the autumn perhaps?

shoulders

Looks like globally cases have taken a spike last week.

Longer term trend is good. Last 2 months have yielded fewer Covid related deaths than at any point since the panic in March 2020.

olliebean

Indie Sage today said BA.4 (or possibly BA.5, I forget which) could well bring on an increase in cases in the UK, if not a new full-blown wave, from early June.

Malcy

Sturgeon has it. Surprised she didn't get it before based on the amount of people I know who had maskless selfies with her as far back as the introduction of masks etc.