Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Alan Moore's BBC Maestro guide to being an author

Started by Mister Six, March 18, 2022, 06:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

I used to own nutty old Orson Scott Card's writing guide years ago, and that was pretty good, but in the meat and potatoes "your hero needs RPG type info on their power level so the reader knows how much they're struggling" type stuff - like he's not really into surreal places (why can't we be interested in the struggles of an invincible god? Maybe they struggle to find meaning or something?) but he's good on the meat and potatoes stuff

axel2019

Currently a bit of a discount on Alan's BBC course (down to £56) until the end of September with the code ESEPTEMBER30

Also of note is Stewart Lee is interviewing him again for the Guardian about his new book of short stories.
The last ones they did about Jerusalem and then a reciprocal one were entertaining/interesting.

https://membership.theguardian.com/event/alan-moore-in-conversation-with-stewart-lee-404725614207

Mister Six

Do they record these conversations? I'd love to watch the Jerusalem one, and I definitely won't be able to see the Illuminations one.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: axel2019 on September 28, 2022, 08:34:10 AMCurrently a bit of a discount on Alan's BBC course (down to £56) until the end of September with the code ESEPTEMBER30...

There's also a yearly subscription available - I think the fee is
£110.

There was some news coverage recently about the service as Billy Connolly is doing a comedy course and from what I remember, more content is being added.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Mister Six on September 28, 2022, 01:45:23 PMDo they record these conversations? I'd love to watch the Jerusalem one, and I definitely won't be able to see the Illuminations one.

Yes, it'll be available on-demand for a few days after.

Mister Six

Ooh lovely. Wonder if there's a seed somewhere for the other one?

Mister Six

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Keebleman on March 25, 2022, 07:37:18 PM£80 for one course???  Go to Wondrium.  I pay £27 per quarter for their entire library!
Does this have Alan Moore in it? Sounds a bit like the "we have a beloved author at home" meme.

Glebe

Joe Qunt

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on October 10, 2022, 06:47:28 PMWatchmen author Alan Moore: 'I'm definitely done with comics'.

Having a pop at adults who enjoy superheroes again.

I think he makes a point here:

QuoteHe thinks that's not just infantile but dangerous. "I said round about 2011 that I thought that it had serious and worrying implications for the future if millions of adults were queueing up to see Batman movies. Because that kind of infantilisation – that urge towards simpler times, simpler realities – that can very often be a precursor to fascism." He points out that when Trump was elected in 2016, and "when we ourselves took a bit of a strange detour in our politics", many of the biggest films were superhero movies

13 schoolyards

The current trailer for Wakanda Forever seems to be making Moore's case for him

Ferris

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on October 11, 2022, 10:09:05 AMThe current trailer for Wakanda Forever seems to be making Moore's case for him

Fuckin hell that trailer's an absolute dog egg. Every cliche going.

Glebe

I just feel like there's no harm in enjoying superhero stuff as pure escapist entertainment. And there's a lot more diversity and representation in superhero things now.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 05:12:10 PMI just feel like theres no harm in enjoying superhero stuff as pure escapist entertainment. And there's a lot more diversity and representation in superhero things now.
The presence of diversity and increased representation in superhero movies doesn't seem to be Moore's point, though.

Glebe

Are superheroes movies/comics pushing a facist agenda though?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 05:19:45 PMAre superheroes movies/comics pushing a fascist agenda though?

Moore's quote is:

QuoteHe thinks that's not just infantile but dangerous. "I said round about 2011 that I thought that it had serious and worrying implications for the future if millions of adults were queueing up to see Batman movies. Because that kind of infantilisation – that urge towards simpler times, simpler realities – that can very often be a precursor to fascism."

Glebe

I don't know about 'simpler times' but as to 'simpler realities' there's plenty of fiction that criticism can be levelled at.

I get that Batman has a problematic history, though these issues have been addressed with more recent itinerations of the character, such as in Matt Reeves' The Batman where his privileged status and 'vengeful' drive is called into question. James Bond is a violent killer and (traditionally at least) a misogynist but doesn't seem to get the same kind of criticism... admittedly he doesn't dress up in a superhero costume but he's certainly not a healthy role model for any age group.

And okay so Bruce Wayne dresses in a 'batsuit' and Batman in general is fantastical but I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss it all as 'infantile'.

Apart from Batman I was never really a fan of superhero comics growing up, I was more into 2000AD and the like, but I do enjoy a good superhero movie/show. But it's escapist entertainment. They may at times address real-world issues in their stories but aside from being a pleasant distraction to cheer me up they certainly don't influence how I live my life.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 11, 2022, 05:17:12 PMThe presence of diversity and increased representation in superhero movies doesn't seem to be Moore's point, though.

I was addressing his comment about comics and superheroes tradionally being aimed at boys (which is a fair assessment).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 06:33:03 PMI don't know about 'simpler times' but as to 'simpler realities' there's plenty of fiction that criticism can be levelled at.

I get that Batman has a problematic history, though these issues have been addressed with more recent itinerations of the character, such as in Matt Reeves' The Batman where his privileged status and 'vengeful' drive is called into question. James Bond is a violent killer and (traditionally at least) a misogynist but doesn't seem to get the same kind of criticism... admittedly he doesn't dress up in a superhero costume but he's certainly not a healthy rule model for children or adults.

And okay so Bruce Wayne dresses in a 'batsuit' and Batman in general is fantastical but I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss it all as 'infantile'.

Apart from Batman I was never really a fan of superhero comics growing up, I was more into 2000AD and the like, but I do enjoy a good superhero movie/show. But it's escapist entertainment. They may at times address real-world issues in their stories but aside from being a pleasant distraction to cheer me up they certainly don't influence how I live my life.

I was addressing his comment about comics and superheroes tradionally being aimed at boys (which is a fair assessment).

I'm with you on this one Glebe, he might (perhaps) have a point when it comes to superhero movies, but the comics industry is a very different beast, and there's some incredibly inventive and smart and playful ideas to be found even in the mainstream series that Marvel and DC put out that you won't find anywhere else. There's a lot of rubbish too of course (the sheer amount of Batman related comics DC print every month is frustrating to me), but I think by dismissing the entire genre of comics is a simplistic and ill thought out argument - and while I could be wrong, I doubt Moore's even read series like Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Jeff Lemire's Animal Man run, Matt Fraction's Fantastic Faux, Jason Aaron's Mighty Thor issues or Dan Slott's Silver Surfer series, and that's only a tiny sampling of "The Big Two", Image, Dark Horse et al have all printed some superb comics which might not be as worthy as a lot of Moore's work but they're much more entertaining and don't have a character being viciously raped in every fucking issue.*

*Okay, this is an exaggeration, but it's hard to find that many series that does not feature rape and I find that really problematic with Moore.

Mister Six

Mainstream entertainment has always been "infantile", though, hasn't it? Or within Moore's lifetime, at least.

A bigger issue is that cinema is being hollowed out of everything but superhero pap, horror movies and the occasional non-superhero action flick, while algorithms push ever more conformity of consumption, in social media and on home streaming. No risk of turning up to Captain America 4, realising the cinema is full and going to watch some proper drama on a whim. Limited access to the breadth of cinematic (and televisual) storytelling is leading to malnutrition of the imagination. Everyone spaffing themselves over WandaVision, and then it turns into a generic superhero thing with big beams shooting into the sky. Treating Enola Holmes or whatever Netflix crap just came out as being Big and Important feminist cinema rather than a forgettable TV movie.

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 11, 2022, 06:53:26 PMI'm with you on this one Glebe, he might (perhaps) have a point when it comes to superhero movies, but the comics industry is a very different beast, and there's some incredibly inventive and smart and playful ideas to be found even in the mainstream series that Marvel and DC put out that you won't find anywhere else. There's a lot of rubbish too of course (the sheer amount of Batman related comics DC print every month is frustrating to me), but I think by dismissing the entire genre of comics is a simplistic and ill thought out argument - and while I could be wrong, I doubt Moore's even read series like Ms. Marvel, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Jeff Lemire's Animal Man run, Matt Fraction's Fantastic Faux, Jason Aaron's Mighty Thor issues or Dan Slott's Silver Surfer series, and that's only a tiny sampling of "The Big Two", Image, Dark Horse et al have all printed some superb comics which might not be as worthy as a lot of Moore's work but they're much more entertaining and don't have a character being viciously raped in every fucking issue.*

*Okay, this is an exaggeration, but it's hard to find that many series that does not feature rape and I find that really problematic with Moore.

THANK you, SMBH!

Moore just frustrates me, he can be such a contrary shit-stirrer... which is not to say he's wrong to scrutinise either the comics industry nor it's fans. But it's the fact that he's contributed so much intelligent and imaginative stuff to the comics world, then he reaches his 60's and quits and starts spouting off about comics being infantile. It's a pretty shitty attitude, like what, Watchmen was just for kids now?

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on October 11, 2022, 07:04:10 PMMainstream entertainment has always been "infantile", though, hasn't it? Or within Moore's lifetime, at least.

A bigger issue is that cinema is being hollowed out of everything but superhero pap, horror movies and the occasional non-superhero action flick, while algorithms push ever more conformity of consumption, in social media and on home streaming. No risk of turning up to Captain America 4, realising the cinema is full and going to watch some proper drama on a whim. Limited access to the breadth of cinematic (and televisual) storytelling is leading to malnutrition of the imagination. Everyone spaffing themselves over WandaVision, and then it turns into a generic superhero thing with big beams shooting into the sky. Treating Enola Holmes or whatever Netflix crap just came out as being Big and Important feminist cinema rather than a forgettable TV movie.

There definitely are too many superhero movies/shows, no doubt about that. And even the ones I watch, they're hardly masterpieces and can be quite cringy. But you take what you take from it. I enjoy the clever and imaginative stuff an put up with the generic whizz-bangs.

Midas

Crime being repeatedly presented as an individualised problem solved by an Übermensch beating people up is a bit right wing tbh...

If only Bruce Wayne used his riches to address the systemic and structural issues causing crime in Gotham City, he'd have saved himself a fortune in tights!

Glebe

Quote from: Midas on October 11, 2022, 07:39:29 PMCrime being repeatedly presented as an individualised problem solved by an Übermensch beating people up is a bit right wing tbh...

If only Bruce Wayne used his riches to address the systemic and structural issues causing crime in Gotham City, he'd have saved himself a fortune in tights!

But... okay fair point.

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 07:17:04 PMThere definitely are too many superhero movies/shows, no doubt about that. And even the ones I watch, they're hardly masterpieces and can be quite cringy. But you take what you take from it. I enjoy the clever and imaginative stuff an put up with the generic whizz-bangs.

I like them too (although I've given up on Marvel now, too much investment for not enough return) but they shouldn't take up the majority of mainstream popular culture. It's insane. But also a product of capitalism installing soulless number crunchers in positions of power more than an inherent problem with the genre.

Quote from: Midas on October 11, 2022, 07:39:29 PMBruce Wayne used his riches to address the systemic and structural issues causing crime in Gotham City, he'd have saved himself a fortune in tights!

Oh god, not this take again.

bgmnts

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 07:07:48 PMTHANK you, SMBH!

Moore just frustrates me, he can be such a contrary shit-stirrer... which is not to say he's wrong to scrutinise either the comics industry nor it's fans. But it's the fact that he's contributed so much intelligent and imaginative stuff to the comics world, then he reaches his 60's and quits and starts spouting off about comics being infantile. It's a pretty shitty attitude, like what, Watchmen was just for kids now?

I reckon he is just incredibly embittered by the industry which like most industries is probably shit.

Perhaps it is because he has done so much intelligent stuff, mostly not superhero stuff, and feels the regular superhero comic book stuff is unintellectual and beneath him. Which to be fair could be right. I am currently reading the first 66 issues of X-Men and it is fun, but I won't lie it is doggerel.

Glebe

Quote from: Mister Six on October 11, 2022, 07:53:37 PMI like them too (although I've given up on Marvel now, too much investment for not enough return) but they shouldn't take up the majority of mainstream popular culture. It's insane. But also a product of capitalism installing soulless number crunchers in positions of power more than an inherent problem with the genre.

The MCU has flourished more on the small screen of late, the movies lost their way a bit after Endgame.

Quote from: bgmnts on October 11, 2022, 07:58:40 PMI am currently reading the first 66 issues of X-Men and it is fun, but I won't lie it is doggerel.

But entertaining doggerel nonetheless I imagine.

Anyway, sorry, we're derailing an Alan Moore thread with superhero chat!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Glebe on October 11, 2022, 07:07:48 PMTHANK you, SMBH!

Absolutely, and it's a needlessly petty attitude too, I know he's been treated badly by the big comics companies but to essentially say that all comics creators are writing childish and infantile material is ridiculous, and just makes him look like an ill informed idiot.

Quote from: Mister Six on October 11, 2022, 07:04:10 PMMainstream entertainment has always been "infantile", though, hasn't it? Or within Moore's lifetime, at least.

I do think that's a big of an exaggeration though, I'd agree that there are too many superhero films being made (despite largely being a fan), but other kinds of cinema are still being created, for example right now this is the list of what's showing at my local (very populist) cinema:

Amsterdam
Don't Worry Darling
Elvis
Moonage Daydream
Mrs. Harris Goes To Paris
ROH 22/23 - Aida (Live)
See How They Run
Smile
The Lost King
The Woman King
Ticket To Paradise

So currently there's not a superhero movie among them, now I'm not arguing that they're great films (Mrs Harris... certainly wasn't!) but I think it shows that there's still a strong variety of movies making it in to UK cinemas. I also feel that world cinema is in a very healthy state right now, and there's some brilliant films being made on a very low budget, so we don't have to worry that Marvel and DC are killing the film industry just yet.

Pink Gregory

to be fair I don't get the impression that he leaves the house much