Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:18:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical wankers' gear thread

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, March 19, 2022, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Right, so

Tony Blair - Clapto sig strat
Gordon brown - rickenbacker Bass
Ed milliband - banjulele
Kier Starmer- ???????

PlanktonSideburns

Had a mate who used to own a rickenbacker bass and a Harley Davidson, and would ride around on the bike with the bass slung over his back

Sir kieth would no doubt have a cajon, the cunt

Sherman Krank

PlanktonSideburns

What about Ian Duncan Smith?

Unplugged Midi Trumpet

Rich Uncle Skeleton

A 1959 gibson les paul. To the back of the legs as he walks home in the dark.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 20, 2022, 03:18:43 PMRight, so

Tony Blair - Clapto sig strat
Gordon brown - rickenbacker Bass
Ed milliband - banjulele
Kier Starmer- ???????

recorder

The Late Satoru Iwata

My position on all this is Strat = perfectly fine

Strat you've paid significantly more to have someone drag it behind a car for a while = get fucked.

Ascent

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on March 20, 2022, 04:33:32 PMMy position on all this is Strat = perfectly fine

Strat you've paid significantly more to have someone drag it behind a car for a while = get fucked.

"Reliced" guitars are peak wankery for me.

I'd like a guitar that looks like I've gigged it 5 times a week for 30 years, but I actually just bought as a present to myself from the leftovers of this years bonus that hasn't gone to pay for the hot tub we've just put on the decking.

Gah!

Look at the neck, fresh as a daisy!

badaids

Quote from: Ascent on March 20, 2022, 06:07:23 PM"Reliced" guitars are peak wankery for me.

I'd like a guitar that looks like I've gigged it 5 times a week for 30 years, but I actually just bought as a present to myself from the leftovers of this years bonus that hasn't gone to pay for the hot tub we've just put on the decking.

Gah!

This is why I only buy dead old oddity guitars or copies these days. Its cheap, and I love the idea that some beaten to shit old Tokai or whatever has had 15 owners responsible for putting all the dinks and scars on it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on March 19, 2022, 10:21:28 AMCannae believe all this strat bashing lads. All time design classic. Beautiful sounding, game-changing instrument. Screw yer heads on here - yer going on like it's the GB news of guitars.

Quote from: Sherman Krank on March 19, 2022, 04:35:58 PMThere's a good reason the strat body is the most copied by an absolute mile.

agreed, can't believe how strongly some feel about strats, bloody hell!

Quote from: Ferris on March 19, 2022, 06:57:16 PMAlso baffled by the defence of the most pig-dog guitar of them all, the Stratocaster. It's the kind of thing Alan sugar would own. Worthless things.

this, for example, is bollocks when lifestyle guitar chiselers Gibson are mentioned in the same thread. Surely Sugar would have a 10 grand custom shop Les Paul that never leaves his lounge wall.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

forgot to put my own head on the block while picking fights with others:

does it get much wankier than this? don't know if it helps matters saying I use it with a synth rather than Living On A Prayer noises on guitar. I still haven't recorded with it and I'll be damned if I get on stage with it.

anyway, I can barely use it partly because that tube is so fucking thick. makes it so hard to get to grips with using it let alone mouth words clearly with it, which puts me off trying to practice it. I feel like every competent talkbox user I've ever seen has used a thinner tube so I suppose eventually I'll get down to the hardware shop and adapt it.

also, while I don't have a Tube Screamer, I do have the behringer clone, not got round to using it yet as I've got some boss thing that does me fine, but I'd be interested to hear people's issue with the tube screamer anyway

Spiteface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 20, 2022, 07:48:08 PMSugar plays Texas Specials.

He has the most absurdly expensive custom shop strats  that he keeps hanging on his walls, except for once in a blue moon where he picks one up, plays Little Wing on it, then puts it back.

Fisher Goes Berserk

The whole synth guitar thing never really caught on but I can imagine some terrible people* owned this monstrosity.

* I would totally have bought one

Ferris

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Fisher Goes Berserk on March 20, 2022, 08:23:21 PMThe whole synth guitar thing never really caught on but I can imagine some terrible people* owned this monstrosity.

Would LOVE one of these

What's the arm thing do

Pauline Walnuts

Stabilises the neck, which is apparently more important on a pitch to Midi guitar.

Dosn't work. I got the Bass model when I was going through my mid-life crisis a couple of years ago. Not got the control module though, so it's just a 80s Japanese Jazz bass that looks funky.

Ferris

There's nothing wrong with Stratocasters as guitars. They have 6 strings and if you don't have a choice you can plug one in and play Tears in Heaven. It's fine.

I just think they are unbelievably naff. A guitar for people who said "that'll do" after opening the first page of the Big Book of Guitars. I also can't stand the way they sound, all springy and tinny, and I like single coils. Give me my danelectro U2 any day of the week.

(I'm exaggerating my opinion for comic effect, but not by much.)

Pauline Walnuts

I can't decide are Paul Reed Smith guitars for wankers or twats?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2022, 08:40:49 PMThere's nothing wrong with Stratocasters as guitars. They have 6 strings and if you don't have a choice you can plug one in and play Tears in Heaven. It's fine.

I just think they are unbelievably naff. A guitar for people who said "that'll do" after opening the first page of the Big Book of Guitars. I also can't stand the way they sound, all springy and tinny, and I like single coils. Give me my danelectro U2 any day of the week.

(I'm exaggerating my opinion for comic effect, but not by much.)

Y'can have a strat (or lots of them if you have major issues like me) and not be into Clapton/boomer cunts man. You're just shooting stray bullets into the air here Ferris. I like that you have a Danelectro though. Absolutely no need for me to shit on that. Fucking love the strat. One of the best things to come out of the 50s. Come at me bro!

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 20, 2022, 09:03:18 PMI can't decide are Paul Reed Smith guitars for wankers or twats?

People with plenty of dosh who can't decide between a strat and a les paul?

Ferris

Haha I'm not really serious, don't tell anyone but I had a blue/grey sparkle fender strat as my backup guitar for years in the mid '00s because when my wanky offset had fucked up or the electronics had exploded or whatever, the Stratocaster would be absolutely nailed on to work impeccably.

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Ferris on March 20, 2022, 09:21:05 PMHaha I'm not really serious, don't tell anyone but I had a blue/grey sparkle fender strat as my backup guitar for years in the mid '00s because when my wanky offset had fucked up or the electronics had exploded or whatever, the Stratocaster would be absolutely nailed on to work impeccably.

Quickest beef resolution in CAB history. Your secret is safe with me!

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 20, 2022, 08:36:21 PMStabilises the neck, which is apparently more important on a pitch to Midi guitar.

Dosn't work. I got the Bass model when I was going through my mid-life crisis a couple of years ago. Not got the control module though, so it's just a 80s Japanese Jazz bass that looks funky.

Want one even more now

famethrowa

Quote from: Fisher Goes Berserk on March 20, 2022, 08:23:21 PMThe whole synth guitar thing never really caught on but I can imagine some terrible people* owned this monstrosity.

I own one, I have a red one in the shed. Bought it cheap from a holy name church, then bought the giant synth engine pedalboard seperately. They're connected by a giant irreplacable 22 pin computer cable, it's not a great guitar but kind of works.

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: famethrowa on March 20, 2022, 10:15:45 PMI own one, I have a red one in the shed. Bought it cheap from a holy name church, then bought the giant synth engine pedalboard seperately. They're connected by a giant irreplacable 22 pin computer cable, it's not a great guitar but kind of works.

I'm... kind of awestruck.

famethrowa

So who is Mike Ness anyway? I've never heard of the cunt, but here he is nowdays shilling his $10000 Gibson signature guitar. According to the presses he's the most influential and important human since Jimi. Gibsons and Klon pedals? Yeah, real punk buddy

Goldentony

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on March 20, 2022, 09:03:18 PMI can't decide are Paul Reed Smith guitars for wankers or twats?

they're for very well paid managers

Ferris

I'm considering getting one of these. Please talk me out of it. Thanks.

Goldentony

nah look at that, buy one, play riffs off Powerage on it