Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:43:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Taskmaster series 14

Started by MigraineBoy, March 23, 2022, 06:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

The worst tasks are the ones that are like Krypton Factor tasks done by comedians, rather than things that allow them to be funny.

DrGreggles

The toilet was on the same mat as they were throwing from, so I assume they could have taken the bog rolls down and stood there.

The Crumb

Thinking back, the locations have increasingly added nothing for me over the last few series, but they've also more or less exhausted the possibilities of a bungalow with a medium size garden. I reckon they should look for a new TM house.

Quote from: The Crumb on September 30, 2022, 02:26:18 PMThinking back, the locations have increasingly added nothing for me over the last few series, but they've also more or less exhausted the possibilities of a bungalow with a medium size garden. I reckon they should look for a new TM house.

I've thought this for a while now. The Taskmaster NZ house (ranch?) gives them so many more options because it's fucking massive - there's a balcony, a lake, a forest, a jetty, an absolutely huge lawn...

JamesTC

jobotic

Weak stuff this. Will do what I do with all of them since Wozniak, watch a couple then forget about it.

Old Thrashbarg

You missed out then, the last series was wonderful.

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 30, 2022, 09:30:05 PMYou missed out then, the last series was wonderful.

As was Champion of Champions and the last New Year Treat - after the appalling series 10 and 12 they showed that Alex can still come up with great tasks. Which is why I'm not writing this series off after one 6/10 episode.

MigraineBoy

Twilkes

what the fuck is that clown in the background

Small Man Big Horse

I really like the cast and it's a rare year that so far there's not a contestant who annoys me, so it's whether or not Alex pulls it out of the bag task wise as to if I'll enjoy it, but I'm hoping it's just got off to a shaky start and will improve as it goes on.

MigraineBoy

The trailer shows it uses at least 2 NZ tasks (eat the grape & this:
both of which were excellent in the hands of the NZ contestants so this bunch should be more than qualified to do them well.

Actually, It'll be bit weird seeing a task & getting 10 interpretations of it.

Andy147

The prize task felt like they'd put more effort in than a lot of recent episodes, so that was a good start.

I liked the "guess the film" task, at least in theory - might have worked better in the lab, so we could have seen more clearly what they were working with.

The toilet roll task was disappointing - they showed the first couple just trying to chuck them in, and I assumed that there was going to be a clever way, but no. (I was expecting someone to try holding on to the end and letting the roll unravel as it fell... then if it landed in, trying to use that to guide the other rolls down somehow... it might be a terrible plan with no hope of working, but it would have added some variety!)

The "paint a bird" task again was fine in theory, but I really can't see why it was a team task - would have preferred to see 5 individual attempts.

Andy147

Quote from: The Crumb on September 30, 2022, 12:35:18 PMYeah I don't really get these weird sports day type tasks that go for being a fair competition over being funny or interesting. It also felt completely irrelevant to the location. I think get some paper in from the furthest distance would have allowed more varied approaches and made more of the space.

That'd be very similar to the "get a tea bag in a cup from furthest away" task from series 1 - doesn't mean they couldn't do it, but might count against it.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: Andy147 on October 01, 2022, 09:44:45 PMI was expecting someone to try holding on to the end and letting the roll unravel as it fell... then if it landed in, trying to use that to guide the other rolls down somehow... it might be a terrible plan with no hope of working, but it would have added some variety!

I thought about this method too! At first I was wondering if you would be able to keep rotate the roll allowing the end to descend in controlled fashion towards the toilet until it was totally unfurled, but I think for that to work it would have had to be almost directly below them.

Dara O Briain looks like he is constantly sweating flour.

MigraineBoy

Alex interviews John Kearns:

amateur

Would love to know how and when they were able to film in an empty Gatwick, considering how long we've been out of locky D.

jobotic

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on September 30, 2022, 09:30:05 PMYou missed out then, the last series was wonderful.

I enjoyed the first two or three of series three then just zoned out and found it tedious again.

I think maybe it's not for me anymore, so I'll shut up.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: amateur on October 03, 2022, 09:15:02 AMWould love to know how and when they were able to film in an empty Gatwick, considering how long we've been out of locky D.

South Terminal closed from June 2020 to March this year.

amateur

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 03, 2022, 09:40:41 AMSouth Terminal closed from June 2020 to March this year.

Bloody hell! Thanks.

neveragain

Surprised nobody's mentioned the LeBron James thing. Irritating affectation.

Well, the live task at the end was good, but the rest of that was a bit of a slog. 

MigraineBoy

The tasks weren't awful but the whole episode was elevated by the live task especially Dara's absolute despair at Fern's 'crashes into' reply.

selectivememory

Yeah, great live task. Didn't mind the rest of the episode. Not the best tasks, but still fairly entertaining. Dara, Fern and John have emerged as my clear favourites for the series. Not made up my mind on the other two yet, but I think Munya might be a bit annoying.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on October 06, 2022, 09:33:06 PMWell this is underwhelming.

Well it did improve after I posted this. I could've watched the live task for an hour.

The rest was by no means bad but it just felt a bit pedestrian again. Hopefully it'll pick up (like NZ series 3) rather than nosedive (like UK series 12).

Munya's very smug and annoying, isn't he? Even though I don't love his videos, they're silly enough to make me think he'd thrive on this - but I'm just not sure he's got the chops to be funny on the spot.

Ja'moke

I thought that was really strong episode, especially compared to last week's pretty weak opener. The live task was the stand out obviously, but there was some fun to be had in the other tasks too, particularly John's approaches.