Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:30:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Goldeneye at 25 (ish)

Started by Rich Uncle Skeleton, April 04, 2022, 07:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 20, 2022, 10:18:27 AMYeah, Nintendo own the Goldeneye game, so even if Microsoft/Rare can get the Bond licence, they need Nintendo's permission to release it.

And of course Miyamoto made some recommendations...

https://www.eurogamer.net/miyamoto-asked-rare-to-tone-down-goldeneye-007

QuoteThe legendary Nintendo designer, famed for creating family-friendly mascots such as Mario and Donkey Kong, was worried the first-person shooter was too violent.

"One point was that there was too much close-up killing - he found it a bit too horrible," Hollis recalled. "I don't think I did anything with that input.

"The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."

Rich Uncle Skeleton

dear god i hope that's true.

Povidone

I'd pay for a remastered Goldeneye with that ending.

Me and me mates would make up daft multiplayer house rules, one which was particularly popular called 'The Moonraker Wifey' required the following criteria:

Map: The Stack

Characters: Jaws, Oddjob, The Helicopter Pilot and the Female Moonraker Goon (this required unlocking all sorts of shit - we had played the game to death by this point)

Weapon mode: Golden Gun

The rules of the game were thus: players who were Oddjob, and the Helicopter Pilot make their way to the ramparts on the stack level, they are not allowed to go to the lower level. The Moonraker Wifey starts on the lower level of the stack. The Moonraker Wifey is not allowed to use any guns except the golden gun.

If you know these elements you know how fucking stupid this was as a game scenario yet it became our favourite thing to do over long sessions, you needed 4 people for it. As the Moonraker Wifey understandably failed in their attempts to get up on to the ramparts and get the one golden gun that spawns in the level, the beauty of it unfolded about 20-30 minutes into this when the other 3 players started getting restless and turning on each other, finally affording the moonraker wifey a chance to take advantage of the chaos.

Quote from: Kelvin on June 10, 2022, 10:55:39 AMAnd of course Miyamoto made some recommendations...

https://www.eurogamer.net/miyamoto-asked-rare-to-tone-down-goldeneye-007

That's the same Miyamoto that thought Bowser's death animation in New Super Mario Bros. was absolutely fine for young children to see.

madhair60

it's almost certainly made up

Kelvin

Since it's coming from a developer I assume he said it, but was joking. There are loads of urban myths like that about Miyamoto, especially from that era. I remember the Star Fox developers saying he was obsessed with poo jokes.

Ascent

Apologies if this crosses the line of self-promotion, but my brother and his wife make gaming documentaries and have recently done a short one about the making of Goldeneye (I do stuff for their channel, but I'm not involved in this):

oggyraiding

Did anyone play Goldeneye Rogue Agent? It has nothing to do with Goldeneye other than it being the Bond universe and also the main character has a golden prosthetic eye. It seems a bit cheeky riding on the coattails of an iconic game with its misleading title. Also it was shit, but maybe that's because I had the DS version.

Noodle Lizard

I'm having a look at it now - the graphics are actually pretty remarkable for 2004! Paul Oakenfold soundtrack as well, so ..

Current rumblings are that the Xbox remaster and ROM for the Switch Online N64 app were ready to go, but Nintendo have postponed it indefinitely because of the war in Ukraine, like they did with the Advance Wars remake.

Quote from: oggyraiding on June 10, 2022, 04:05:09 PMDid anyone play Goldeneye Rogue Agent? It has nothing to do with Goldeneye other than it being the Bond universe and also the main character has a golden prosthetic eye. It seems a bit cheeky riding on the coattails of an iconic game with its misleading title. Also it was shit, but maybe that's because I had the DS version.

Muggins here bought the PS2 version from Cash Generator on a whim thinking it would be at least a bit like the N64 game. It has nothing to do with Goldeneye other than the the word Goldeneye in the title. You don't even play as James Bond!

Yeah, but you finally got to play as GoldenEye. Finally.

H-O-W-L

Goldeneye
I've seen his penis
Goldeneye
It's down to his knees

Sebastian Cobb

Haven't watched it yet but there's a documentary out about the making of it:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11753760/

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Nice will have to give that a watch

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 14, 2022, 11:30:16 AMHaven't watched it yet but there's a documentary out about the making of it:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11753760/

I watched this last night and have to say I was a bit disappointed. They got the main 'making of' story done with almost an hour of the documentary to spare and then went on to 'what happened next?', which there wasn't much of... Rare attempting Perfect Dark, some of the team leaving to form Free Radical, talk of a remaster being made for the 360 but never being released due to rights issues and the fan-made Goldeneye Source. But all of that was probably only about an extra 20 minutes on its own so they had to pad it out with a load of talkingheads blowing smoke up Goldeneye's arse and one of those talkingheads was Ashens.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 15, 2022, 09:23:23 AMAshens.

You really saved the punch in the guts for last there.
I notice his egregiously bald head is a very similar shape to that of Sajid Javid's.

Kelvin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 13, 2022, 10:16:00 AMCurrent rumblings are that the Xbox remaster and ROM for the Switch Online N64 app were ready to go, but Nintendo have postponed it indefinitely because of the war in Ukraine, like they did with the Advance Wars remake.

Genuinely wonder if the Switch version will have the appalling slowdown like the original or whether they'll use a ROM that runs it better.

Crenners

Whichever takes less effort.

Kelvin

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/09/13/james-bond-returns-goldeneye-007-on-game-pass/

Bit of a monkey paw moment. We're getting it, but it's not the Xbox 360 remake. It's the original N64 game with enhancements. So whilst it'll get 16:9, 4K, dual analogue support and a stable framerate, there is no online multiplayer. It's also being bundled into Rare Replay, so no PC version. It all sounds like Nintendo fucking about to keep parity.

The Switch version (via N64 online) does get online play, but via splitscreen mode.