Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

I'm a fairly puny cis woman and I managed to pulp a schoolmate's hand during a hockey match (I hated hockey and was shit at it, so I'm not sure where that burst of violent zeal came from) when I was about 14. She needed to go to hospital and couldn't do sports for weeks (which she was very grateful for).

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 16, 2022, 09:14:39 AMThey shouldn't have rugby in schools, it's too dangerous. I broke my collarbone. It's also shit, and I'd much rather they did football at my school, and you can stuff cricket up your arse while you're at it.

when i did PE at school we had to do both

although the best experiences I had doing PE was when I bunked off the double period and had a bacon sandwich and roll-ups in the upstairs smoke room at the Calerdon Diner.

Twit 2

I loved sport at school, but hated rugby because the PE "teachers" just said "Off you go and play then," and stood watching from the sides of the pitch with big warm coats on. The kids who knew how to play, or were up for pretending they did, got stuck in and the rest stood around confused. My mate Wayne and I used to stand as far away from the action as possible and devise detective novels featuring a bee called Bumblywumbly. I recall one being "Bumblywumbly and the Death on the Nile." Not terribly original, but it was cold. The teachers didn't notice/care. To this day I don't understand rugby and have no interest in it.

somersetchris

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2022, 10:50:08 AMI loved sport at school, but hated rugby because the PE "teachers" just said "Off you go and play then," and stood watching from the sides of the pitch with big warm coats on. The kids who knew how to play, or were up for pretending they did, got stuck in and the rest stood around confused. My mate Wayne and I used to stand as far away from the action as possible and devise detective novels featuring a bee called Bumblywumbly. I recall one being "Bumblywumbly and the Death on the Nile." Not terribly original, but it was cold. The teachers didn't notice/care. To this day I don't understand rugby and have no interest in it.

When I started secondary school, rugby was the first sport we did (rugby before Christmas, football after), and the teacher we had was a proper old school bully, basically Brian Glover in Kes. It was horrific, especially as we were a bunch of 11 year olds who had no idea how to play rugby because obviously up until that point everyone had only ever played football.

imitationleather

I went to a rugby school and it was horrific. It was only enjoyable if you were a fat lad or had started puberty early. I was neither.

somersetchris

Quote from: imitationleather on April 16, 2022, 11:42:21 AMI went to a rugby school and it was horrific. It was only enjoyable if you were a fat lad or had started puberty early. I was neither.

If you were skinny and could run fast you could be a winger, which it took me about three years to work out. Although the players in the middle tended not to be good enough to actually get the ball out wide so it was a lot of standing around.

Kankurette

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: buttgammon on April 16, 2022, 09:12:28 AMYes, it really does. It's opportunism, and with people like Graham Linehan especially, I get a whiff of that snobbish contempt some people have for sports fans.

Shout out to people who have snobbish contempt for sports fans but who aren't raving terfs, though. Winners do drugs not sports.

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 16, 2022, 01:28:11 AMthis dunking on andrew doyle and his enormous head is funny too

https://twitter.com/TrustFundOzu/status/1512786740544774145

this is right up my alley because my humor is fucked up from being increasingly deeply online for about a decade and a half by now. unfortunate side effect of having re-watched this half a dozen times in a row is that i want ribs now.

Pink Gregory

I ended up doing hockey and badminton with like 30 girls and 3 chaps (at school, not now) and after so many years I actually enjoyed PE for last years of school.

As a large, somewhat unwieldy 16 year old I was never mocked or bodyshamed in that group as I was when surrounded by boys, it was ace.

Ray Travez

PlanktonSideburns

Buelligan

I wanted to play rugby at school, mainly because it was not permitted.  My brother was a good player - we lived in a very rugby place and that world was closed to women.  I campaigned (of course), this consisted of me asking to play a fair old bit, being told no and then bunking off games for the rest of my life.

Rugby is dangerous, my cousin became a county player and then a paraplegic for love of the game.  If people are worried about injuries, which happen to big, small, fast, slow and in between, players, maybe make weight limits irrespective of gender (somewhat, though not totally, like boxing), stricter rules about contact or don't play at all and remain safe.

George Oscar Bluth II

Our PE teachers all played amateur rugby on the weekends and had a rugby player's contempt for football. We all preferred football. They made us suffer for it, the cunts.

flotemysost

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 16, 2022, 10:50:08 AM"Bumblywumbly and the Death on the Nile."

These JKR franchise spinoffs are just getting ridiculous now.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Buelligan on April 17, 2022, 12:02:33 PMI wanted to play rugby at school, mainly because it was not permitted.  My brother was a good player - we lived in a very rugby place and that world was closed to women.  I campaigned (of course), this consisted of me asking to play a fair old bit, being told no and then bunking off games for the rest of my life.

Rugby is dangerous, my cousin became a county player and then a paraplegic for love of the game.  If people are worried about injuries, which happen to big, small, fast, slow and in between, players, maybe make weight limits irrespective of gender (somewhat, though not totally, like boxing), stricter rules about contact or don't play at all and remain safe.

Ban rugby! Stupid sport for Tories and farmers (same thing).

king_tubby

Johnny Yesno

Imagine putting Potter on the same list as The Handmaid's Tale and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. lol, no one else can either.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 17, 2022, 04:44:40 PMBan rugby! Stupid sport for Tories and farmers (same thing).

"Oh football is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen"

*gunshots are heard*

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 17, 2022, 08:46:05 PMImagine putting Potter on the same list as The Handmaid's Tale and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. lol, no one else can either.

Maybe you just need to patronise them a bit.  Gregor Samsa and the Big Bug Problem. 

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 17, 2022, 08:49:58 PM"Oh football is a gentleman's game played by thugs and rugby is a thug's game played by gentlemen"

*gunshots are heard*

Appropriately enough, at my school I didn't play football or rugby, I did shooting (and hockey or cricket, depending on the season.)

king_tubby

king_tubby

I dunno, are all the Tongan players called Cameron Fraser and Fraser Cameron?

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 16, 2022, 09:14:39 AMThey shouldn't have rugby in schools, it's too dangerous. I broke my collarbone. It's also shit,
All true, plus the whole fucking toxic culture around it wants graving. I was one of the proverbial fat lads at school, and as a result could play a bit. My christ, though, rugby players are a special kind of arsehole, and the homosocial culture surrounding the sport simply encourages and amplifies that tendency. I still shudder now.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 18, 2022, 10:29:01 AMevery top comment is about JK Rowling
Positive, or negative? [Don't want to give any clicks to the Times]

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead on April 18, 2022, 11:02:44 AMPositive, or negative? [Don't want to give any clicks to the Times]
it's paywalled anyway
some of it is quite funny

indistinguishable from the mail except perhaps a bit more pompous