Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Pimhole

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 13, 2022, 05:20:57 PMI doubt even JK Rowling thinks we should do that, Austrian guy with 88 in your username holy shit.

fixed

Dr Rock

wrec

Quote from: canadagoose on August 13, 2022, 03:27:22 PMSomeone with 7 followers, apparently. Hmm.

Did anyone note when the account was created? Lucky that she managed to get a half-arsed threat (that we're allowed see unlike the countless others) on the day she was making the Rushdie attack about her.

Also notice that she made sure to post a separate screenshot of his (I'm sure totally genuine) profile pic so we'd know he was a scary Arab.

Pimhole

Quote from: wrec on August 13, 2022, 09:06:40 PMDid anyone note when the account was created? Lucky that she managed to get a half-arsed threat (that we're allowed see unlike the countless others) on the day she was making the Rushdie attack about her.

Also notice that she made sure to post a separate screenshot of his (I'm sure totally genuine) profile pic so we'd know he was a scary Arab.

March 2022.

somersetchris

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 13, 2022, 12:46:58 PMWikipedia has a whole article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dressing,_gender_identity,_and_sexuality_of_Joan_of_Arc

Apparently she* wore exclusively men's clothing but didn't try to pass as a man - cross-dressing was contrary to the will of God according to contemporary theologians but Joan said it pleased God for her to dress as a man. At her trial she refused to answer questions about whether she would rather have been male. There is a lot of recent debate both about whether she was transgender and whether she was a lesbian.

*or whatever pronoun you prefer; "she" seems to be the normally-used one.

Of course it's hard to know 500 years after the fact but the impression I got was that Joan of Arc wore men's clothes for practical reasons and for her own safety - you can't ride a horse in a dress and, much grimmer, it's hard to sexually assault someone in trousers, which was always a risk for her.

As I understand it, she did wear women's clothes during her trial and had no objection to doing so. She was ordered to, because a woman wearing men's clothes is heresy which is eventually what she was executed for (let's be honest some GCs would be perfectly happy to see people executed for wearing the wrong gender clothes).

The story goes - and it's hard to be certain, although the trial was well-documented so there is lots of primary evidence - that she ended up wearing men's clothes again because her dresses were stolen while she was in prison. So she was forced to either wear men's clothes, or be naked. Putting the men's clothes back on confirmed the charge of heresy and she was executed - it was a set-up. So, by some irony, what eventually convicted her was *unwillingly* wearing men's clothes.

That's the version I read, I'm sure there are other interpretations and of course the entire story of Joan of Arc revolves entirely around expectations of gender, so it's a perfectly appropriate to interpret it as a trans story. Viewing old stories through a slightly different lens is a tradition as old as the theatre. I guess JK Rowling doesn't know what a metaphor or analogy are? Of course she doesn't, she calls her Irish characters Bomby O'Terrorist.   

Kankurette

Kankurette

Mister Six

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

fucking Christ how is it not obvious to everyone in the world that the Daily Mail is nothing but a tool in the culture war that's engineered to keep all of us from putting rich people in a guillotine

Mister Six

(Got to say, I think the suggestions that she's faked this are a bit daft, and that this is a rare legitimate online threat for Rowling, or at least one worth treating seriously. Obviously the way that she's crowding Rushdie out of the news cycle is fucking ridiculous on multiple levels. As is the conflation in some corners with the complaints of her awful TERFin', as though a nutter from Pakistan who hailed Rushdie's attacker as a "revolutionary Shia fighter" is going to be on the side of trans people.)

Pimhole

The papers must be getting clicks a-plenty every time they mention JK Rowling JK Rowling, given the way they crowbar her into any story they can. And that sweet ad revenue can't all be coming from GCs since it's been established that there's only about 2000 of them. So it must be the woke Taliban TRA PC snowflake brigade that's keeping her on the front pages with our outrage clicks.

imitationleather

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Kankurette on August 13, 2022, 09:56:35 PMOf course JKR has to make Rushdie's stabbing about her.

In fairness, it's more Leo Kearse pulling that shit than her.

Johnny Yesno

buttgammon

Quote from: Pimhole on August 14, 2022, 01:31:15 AMThe papers must be getting clicks a-plenty every time they mention JK Rowling JK Rowling, given the way they crowbar her into any story they can. And that sweet ad revenue can't all be coming from GCs since it's been established that there's only about 2000 of them. So it must be the woke Taliban TRA PC snowflake brigade that's keeping her on the front pages with our outrage clicks.

Terfs are a tiny group but they have to click several times because they know 'they' will do something to negate the initial click. I would say they'd keep refreshing pages because of this but I don't think the average terf is tech-savvy enough to know how to do that.

Jack Shaftoe

Weird to think you can be against JK Rowling and death threats, but I've looked into it and it can be done.

Kankurette

I know, it's crazy. It's like thinking gangs of Pakistani men raping and abusing teenage girls are cunts, and so is Tommy Robinson. It's not either/or.

Re Rowling, I wonder if there's a racial element as well. Rushdie is an Asian man, she's a white woman. In the same way Truss > Sunak. And I'm pretty sure Muslim fundamentalists hate trans people but if you say that to TERFs they go 'but Iran'.

Terfs like to document the death threats that JKR gets sent all the time (because Twitter is a shithole and I'd imagine 100's of death threats are being sent every minute to someone or other)

https://www.google.com/search?q=rowling+death+threats+twitter&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=niv&sxsrf=ALiCzsbSzK1l2PIImgLk9SUAKsy9RVdk6A:1660479257589&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiqt7iip8b5AhVFSkEAHaERAcwQ_AUoAnoECAIQAg&biw=412&bih=770&dpr=3.5

So that leaves the question why does she choose to highlight the ones she does?

imitationleather

Sad that she acknowledges the people who send her death threats more than she does Glinner

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Kankurette on August 14, 2022, 12:04:24 PMI know, it's crazy. It's like thinking gangs of Pakistani men raping and abusing teenage girls are cunts, and so is Tommy Robinson. It's not either/or.

Re Rowling, I wonder if there's a racial element as well. Rushdie is an Asian man, she's a white woman. In the same way Truss > Sunak. And I'm pretty sure Muslim fundamentalists hate trans people but if you say that to TERFs they go 'but Iran'.
I'm sure a lot of right-wing newspaper journalists and readers don't care about Rushdie, seeing him at best as a liberal luvvie to be despised, and at worst as deserving it. And it's not just baying far-right hacks, Germaine Greer demanded in 2009 he get down on his knees and beg for forgiveness, and some centrists like Shirley Williams were similar. That nice Harry Potter woman, who writes books with real stories, on the other hand...

Kankurette

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on August 14, 2022, 01:26:51 PMI'm sure a lot of right-wing newspaper journalists and readers don't care about Rushdie, seeing him at best as a liberal luvvie to be despised, and at worst as deserving it. And it's not just baying far-right hacks, Germaine Greer demanded in 2009 he get down on his knees and beg for forgiveness, and some centrists like Shirley Williams were similar. That nice Harry Potter woman, who writes books with real stories, on the other hand...
JKR is also a liberal luvvie but I take your point (and she's a liberal who hates trans people so she's a Good Liberal).

Of course Germaine Greer was awful about Salman Rushdie. Why must she be such a big disappointment.

Mister Six

Greer's been an embarrassment for most of the last 40 years, hasn't she?

shoulders

Is that the Daily Mail who hosted an interview with an ex military general who spoke about Corbyn being taken out if Labour were elected?

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 13, 2022, 05:20:57 PMI doubt even JK Rowling thinks we should do that, Austrian guy.

I'm reading all those in Adam Buxton's 'Dear oh dear oh dear' voice.