Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:45:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GC Rowling's Battlefield TERF, part 2: Fantastic Wheeshts and Where to Find Them

Started by Mister Six, April 14, 2022, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on August 16, 2022, 12:30:12 PM
https://archive.ph/Cq2YE

So it appears Joanne Harris has failed to prostrate herself in front of Saint Rowling of the Rowling lunch, patron Saint of "I'm not transphobic but..." and is now on the receiving end of GC pile on instigated by The Times

Didn't King of the GCs, Jordan Peterson, start off complaining about 'compelled speech'?

shoulders

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on August 16, 2022, 01:17:31 PMIt's a indictment of how tiny, fucked and insular our current media landscape is in the UK that they all pretty much spout the same nonsense in spite of those views being very much in the minority among the general population. Same went with Farage he never managed enough support to get elected as an MP and yet was pushed front and center at every opportunity making it appear as though everyone agreed with him.

It was so,  so crucial that Leveson II was implemented. I hope the actions of the media between 2015-2019 make sense to people reading, because this is all about rich private interests getting what they want, and a small ecosystem of Fleet Street hacks clinging to the power and influence that dynamic bestows upon them. Their astoundingly small world of received opinion and boomer reactionary views is the miasma cloud we are all forced to breathe in.

The breaking up of media ownership,  its democratisation inherently involves not only stripping their overarching power but exposing it to plurality and real challenge.

The leader of a major political party wanted this, campaigned for it  and we were not far off making it happen.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Blumf on August 16, 2022, 01:38:38 PMDidn't King of the GCs, Jordan Peterson, start off complaining about 'compelled speech'?

They're all always complaining about compelled speech when it has to do with respecting someone's pronouns but a lack of consistency and blatant hypocrisy are a GCs best friend

FalknerHinton

Quote from: shoulders on August 16, 2022, 02:22:31 PMThe leader of a major political party wanted this, campaigned for it  and we were not far off making it happen.

Oh yeah, I remember that guy. Given that implementing Leveson II was going to be antithetical to the corporate press, it's lucky that the free press we have in this country is vital to the health of our democracy and the best in the world, otherwise they'd have conducted a years long smear campaign to make sure he never got in to power.

/s

This has gotta be up there with 'a huge problem to a sane world' for vilest GC phrase of the year

Kankurette

Oh Jesus Christ Kathleen, you fucking creep, shut the fuck up. I suppose Harris should have disowned her son because that would be the proper thing to do.

mjwilson

Joanne Harris: https://twitter.com/Joannechocolat/status/1559588001835016193

QuoteA lot of people have been talking nonsense about this, thanks to Kathleen Stock. Let's get a couple of things clear. I "declared" this at my son's suggestion, because people on here were already whispering about him, trying to put pressure on me.

I've known he was trans for awhile, but he came out publicly on June 1st, which is why I haven't mentioned it before. He's a million times braver, better and wiser than anyone on that nasty little thread. Anyone using him to attack me is utterly and forever beneath contempt.

I'm going to take the line out of my bio now, not because I'm any less proud of him, but because it has served its purpose, and to deflect any more unwanted attention from my son, who is gentle, and sweet, and deserves none of this. You want to come for me? Do it. I'm right here.

Kankurette

And of course she has gendercritters in her replies whining on about free speech while actively trying to shut Harris down.

Quote from:  Certified GBOL, Joanne HarrisThe people calling for my resignation or my removal from the
@Soc_of_Authors
 don't care about authors' rights. Most of them aren't even authors. They want me gone because I believe that trans people deserve the same rights, dignity and chance of happiness as anyone else.

So that's how many women now these alleged feminists have tried to get sacked from their jobs now? 🤔

Kankurette

But it's the nasty woke TRAs who try to cancel people and get them sacked, according to gendercritters.

Johnny Yesno

'Undeclared trans-identified offspring'. If there was any doubt as to whether the students at the University of Sussex had it right all along, I think this puts it to bed. Utterly grim.

Paul Calf

Quote from: shoulders on August 16, 2022, 02:22:31 PMIt was so,  so crucial that Leveson II was implemented. I hope the actions of the media between 2015-2019 make sense to people reading, because this is all about rich private interests getting what they want, and a small ecosystem of Fleet Street hacks clinging to the power and influence that dynamic bestows upon them. Their astoundingly small world of received opinion and boomer reactionary views is the miasma cloud we are all forced to breathe in.

The breaking up of media ownership,  its democratisation inherently involves not only stripping their overarching power but exposing it to plurality and real challenge.

The leader of a major political party wanted this, campaigned for it  and we were not far off making it happen.

Another 10, 15 years and technology and social change will do to them what the telephone did to the telegraph and what digital music did to physical formats. They seem intent on causing as much damage as possible on the way out. People forget that newspapers and magazines aren't inherent properties of the world: they had a beginning and will have an end.

Paul Calf

20 years ago, I bought at least one newspaper every day, sometimes two. Most people I know did. Now of all the people I know, only my parents buy newspapers with any sort of regularity.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 17, 2022, 09:29:42 AMAnother 10, 15 years and technology and social change will do to them what the telephone did to the telegraph and what digital music did to physical formats. They seem intent on causing as much damage as possible on the way out. People forget that newspapers and magazines aren't inherent properties of the world: they had a beginning and will have an end.

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 17, 2022, 09:32:20 AM20 years ago, I bought at least one newspaper every day, sometimes two. Most people I know did. Now of all the people I know, only my parents buy newspapers with any sort of regularity.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/mail-online-biggest-uk-news-website-july-2021/

Dr Rock

Could the terfs make it clear if they don't have any trans kids, as otherwise that's disguising a bias.

phantom_power

Usually the ones who do make it clear enough by describing their awful behaviour towards their children, running the whole gamut of what not to do as a parent

phantom_power

They are trying to get Harris sacked from the SOA now because, according to them, she didn't support JKR enough over death threats and generally getting what every other bugger on Twitter gets. She has explained her position fairly reasonably but they are determined to think she has ideological bias. Something they would never be guilty of. Billy Bragg has pointed out the hypocrisy of trying to get someone fired for their ideological beliefs when they constantly criticise that behaviour when it is GC people getting the boot but of course they fail to see his point and say it is because she didn't defend an author

They don't seem to be criticising any other people on the board of the SOA who may not have defended JKR but I am sure those comments are on their way

As a side note the GCs responding to Billy Bragg often refer to him as "cis Billy Bragg" because they are hilarious and not obsessed

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on August 17, 2022, 09:55:42 AMhttps://pressgazette.co.uk/mail-online-biggest-uk-news-website-july-2021/

Yeah it's way worse now. Before you had to make a conscious action to go buy a newspaper. Now you just consume snippets of propaganda drip fed into your entertainment stream, without knowing that it's from any specific source. Far more insidious and effective in forming societal norms.

Kankurette

And Harris has how much power over Twitter, exactly? They do know a world exists outside Twitter?

I hope Harris isn't forced to step down by a bunch of bananas. She's even said she's defended GCs in the past.

Jack Shaftoe

Maya Forstater just shat the bed on twitter by claiming period poverty isn't a thing, and it's gone down quite badly. Who'd have thought someone so virulently anti-trans would turn out to have shitty thoughts on other topics? You love to see it.

Jollity

She says in that tweet that poverty is real, but period poverty isn't. One might as well say that food poverty isn't real because you can buy noodles for 30p. If poverty is real, it is real.

Forstater comes from money, her father was a comedy writer. Obviously something about the profession. Anyway, she doesn't know anything about poverty, which is why the media treats her shit opinions as gospel.

Kankurette

It is a thing in this country. For a start, if it wasn't, food banks wouldn't be asking for sanitary protection (I've donated tampons in the past) and there wouldn't be charities devoted to combating it. But then, despite what Graeme Linehan claims, the big name TERFs do tend to be immensely privileged.

She does realise homeless women get periods too?

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jollity on August 18, 2022, 09:50:16 PMForstater comes from money, her father was a comedy writer. Obviously something about the profession. Anyway, she doesn't know anything about poverty, which is why the media treats her shit opinions as gospel.
Mark Forstater is a producer who worked in comedy. he also produced Xtro. and his wikipedia page smacks of him writing it himself as it claims he brought the Pythons together and that And Now for Something Completely Different was a failure... was it? It did ok didnt it? Did Grail make that much initially either?

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 18, 2022, 10:27:07 PMMark Forstater is a producer who worked in comedy. he also produced Xtro. and his wikipedia page smacks of him writing it himself as it claims he brought the Pythons together and that And Now for Something Completely Different was a failure... was it? It did ok didnt it? Did Grail make that much initially either?

He also successfully sued them for royalties of Spamalot so wielding the law against former work colleagues apparently runs in the family

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/oct/11/monty-python-legal-battle-seventh-python-mark-forstater

shoulders

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on August 18, 2022, 07:59:06 PMMaya Forstater just shat the bed on twitter by claiming period poverty isn't a thing, and it's gone down quite badly. Who'd have thought someone so virulently anti-trans would turn out to have shitty thoughts on other topics? You love to see it.

Ahaha, almost don't want to check in case it's not as good as that sounds.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kankurette on August 15, 2022, 02:58:56 PMJK Rowling liking tweets is news now. For fuck's sake. Also, she would be legit horrified if she saw Sadowitz. Which is why I hope she becomes a fan of his and goes to see him perform.

Going back a bit here, but one of the times I saw Sadowitz he showed a video clip of what he said was JK Rowling being fucked on the hood of a car at a depressing dogging event.

(It wasn't actually her, of course)

Pink Gregory

Just a little call for resources - can anyone point me to a) the bird website thing from St. Joanne in which she opines that men should not be allowed to be nurses/carers for children etc etc

b) a short history of whoecver the fuck kathleen stock is

Having a difficult conversation with a friend.

mjwilson

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 21, 2022, 02:03:14 AMJust a little call for resources - can anyone point me to a) the bird website thing from St. Joanne in which she opines that men should not be allowed to be nurses/carers for children etc etc

b) a short history of whoecver the fuck kathleen stock is

Having a difficult conversation with a friend.

Kathleen Stock is an academic whose students organised a campaign protesting her transphobic views. She resigned and was most recently seen being weird about Joanne Harris's trans son.

mjwilson

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 21, 2022, 02:03:14 AMJust a little call for resources - can anyone point me to a) the bird website thing from St. Joanne in which she opines that men should not be allowed to be nurses/carers for children etc etc

Possibly this? https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1546473378168594434