Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:59:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what you (re)playing?

Started by Pink Gregory, April 16, 2022, 03:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

I'm replaying Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Switch, I had it on Wii U but never finished it. It's a perfectly fine game. Good presentation, controls generally acceptable, decent variety. Bosses are awful and go on way too long, especially the puffer fish. The first two DKC games are some of my favourite games ever, and while Tropical Freeze has a big budget and has way more going on on screen, it's just not as good as the originals.

Rayman Origins/Legends and Yooka Laylee & The Impossible Lair were much more interesting and fun DKC-a-likes compared to Tropical Freeze.

Crenners

Levels are great and way better than the shit you listed but bosses are cunt tier and ruin the game.

bgmnts

Playing FFVIII on stream and FUCKING HELL IT'S LOUD. It's been a couple of years since I played it last and had no memory of it being deafening.

RetroRobot

Live A Live, finished it now but it was brilliant imo. Real quirky JRPG.

Now playing Dragon Quest 11 after not playing them since the DS. The story is bobbins but I want to see more of the weird, silly monsters and that's my motivation to keep going.

popcorn

Got the Klonoa rerelease on Switch.

I remember enjoying Klonoa 2 a lot on PS2 back on the day... but it isn't grabbing me this time.

As a platformer, there isn't much there. Klonoa is so stiff, he feels very binary somehow ... if that's the word. You're either moving or not moving. There's little in the way of physics or momentum so there isn't a lot of scope for depth or whatever in the actual moving-him-around kinda stakes.

Which means it's up to the puzzles to make it interesting, but so far (2 hours in) these are still so rudimentary it isn't really holding my interest.  It's all a bit plain.

Tried playing a bit of Klonoa 1 as well (never played it before) and it's even more basic.

madhair60

I had a similar experience with Klonoa 2. Loved it on PS2 two decades ago but struggled with the remake. I think the original is far better; level design is tighter, more intricate.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Recently started playing Pokémon Go. It's giving me a lot of nostalgia for the cartoons.

Blows my mind that this franchise is 25+ years old.

Mobius

My partner and I got back into Pokemon Go recently

It's a decent timekiller, but fuck me they're greedy bastards. Just raised the price of Remote Raid Passes (and removed them from the free weekly event box) and there's about 700 pokemon nowadays but all you see is fucking Pidgeys and Caterpies!

I've been pretty tempted to buy a Switch just to play the latest Pokemon games but trying to fight the nostalgia

I've been playing a bit of Spiderman Miles Morales on my PS5 which is alright, but I feel like I've gone through the store about 10 times now and played every decent game and am really struggling to find something interesting

oggyraiding

I beat Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, some good ideas, plenty of options when building and levelling up your character, core looter-shooter gameplay decent. It just didn't do enough with its "this is all taking part in Tiny Tina's DnD-inspired tabletop game" gimmick. Imagination is the only limit in a game like this, and while there were some good areas (one centred around a giant beanstalk surrounded by floating islands), the last 50% or so takes place in boring desert, another boring desert, boring caverns, boring pirate cove. There was very little inventiveness. Anyway, it did its job, I killed thousands of skeletons, good use of 20 hours.

Pink Gregory

So Ghost Squad is just as fucking GOOD as everyone says it is eh

and I'm even using the Wii Zapper because I'm insane but not insane enough to have bought it at full price, it's actually quite nice for a plastic shell.

Already did a little splurge on the affordable and best Wii lightgun games after Ms Gregory had a joyous afternoon with a Time Crisis 2 cabinet - Ghost Squad, Disaster Day of Crisis, RE Darkside Chronicles and, unbelievably, Link's Crossbow Training (don't really like House of the Dead, if I'm honest) - but I just picked up Dead Space Extraction from CEX on a whim, so I think I'm set for now.

Surprising little Wii collection I've ended up with over the years.

Memorex MP3

Played DJ Hero 2 on Dolphin for a bit there earlier; the gameplay feels totally right, wish the controller was a little more advanced and the mixes mixed a little better (they're pretty good for 2010 but it's got that issue where if you're bad it can start sounding awful fast).

The controller only cost me 2.5 pound though so I feel like I've already got my money's worth

oggyraiding

Tinykin is on Game Pass, it is very good, Pikmin meets Chibi Robo. Massive tonal shift in the last 15 minutes, but it is my GOTY so far.

The Crumb

Midnight Fight Express. It's fun, a bit like Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Cop meets Hotline Miami.

Memorex MP3

Following on with my rhythm game run I picked up Fuser again and forced myself to play through some of the missions.

Should've either been released exclusively on tablets or with some kind of weird controller styled like a midi sampler grid thing (especially if you could signal the correct drop times via the device lights or something). There's a ludicrously fun toy in there and it's hidden by very convoluted controls.

Played some Wave Race 64 too, all the twisting and turning made me a bit motion sick tbh.

Cerys

I'm playing the original FF7 without materia again, this time naming my  characters No-one, Someone, Anyone, Everyone  Nobody, Somebody, Anybody, Everybody and Deadbody.  In the Golden Saucer I lost track of names, and because I now have two Someones and can't rename people I'm going to sulk.  This is what I get for not using a notebook to document my bloody stupid gaming ideas.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cerys on September 19, 2022, 12:17:59 AMI'm playing the original FF7 without materia again, this time naming my  characters No-one, Someone, Anyone, Everyone  Nobody, Somebody, Anybody, Everybody and Deadbody.  In the Golden Saucer I lost track of names, and because I now have two Someones and can't rename people I'm going to sulk.  This is what I get for not using a notebook to document my bloody stupid gaming ideas.

There was a discussion on Final Fantasy insert names on one of the podcasts recently, and it reminded me of maybe the first tips book I had from Playstation Max magazine for Final Fantasy VIII in which whoever was taking screenshots had decided to name Squall, 'Dean'

Cerys

Good grief.  My last playthrough had him as Mimsy, and the one before that was Twatboy.

I am forty-nine.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Cerys on September 19, 2022, 12:00:02 PMGood grief.  My last playthrough had him as Mimsy, and the one before that was Twatboy.

I am forty-nine.

assumimg you've played various Zeldas, what have you called Link?

Cerys

I confess.  I have never played any of the Zeldas.

Pink Gregory

If you name him 'I Say' in Link's Awakening everyone becomes Foghorn Leghorn

Cerys

If only that was literally what happened!

Mr Trumpet

Having a second go at Disco Elysium, got a bit farther this time. Playing the cop as a Dale Cooper-esque kind-hearted nutjob this time, which seems to be pretty much the default (first attempt he was a dogmatic commie).

oggyraiding

Finished the first Assassin's Creed game. How it got a (good) sequel is amazing to me, as the first game is very very bad.

seepage

I finished Disco Elysium [as a moralist, boring cop] but didn't enjoy it. As another poster mentioned, swapping clothing all the time to get the max bonus for the next skill roll is annoying.

Spoiler alert
Not least because the culprit is a character you don't meet until the end part of the game, in a location you can't visit until the end.
[close]

Memorex MP3

Had a ton of fun playing 51 Worldwide Games the last couple of days at a pal's. Super useful set, def will be pulling it out at christmas with the family.

Cerys

Today in FF7 I discovered the existence of the Sneak Glove!  I immediately reloaded my game because I'm doing a No Materia run so it was of no use to me, and cost a lot of cash.

Kankurette

Sonic 1, Mega Drive version, on the emulator because the Sonic 3 and Knuckles thread has made me want to play Sonic games again. It is a cunt of a game, but I love the soundtrack.

Glebe

Cerys

It really isn't!  It's the second time I've done it - you just need to keep well-stocked with items, and have the right limit breaks set.

Glebe

Quote from: Cerys on September 28, 2022, 11:06:59 PMIt really isn't!  It's the second time I've done it - you just need to keep well-stocked with items, and have the right limit breaks set.

Those limit breaks can be really powerful, granted. Btw hope you're feeling better C!