Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

YouTube downloading

Started by canadagoose, April 18, 2022, 01:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

What are people using to download YouTube videos nowadays, mainly for archiving in case they get deleted? I used to use youtube-dl but I heard there's a better version (or two) and I can't remember what it called.

Sonny_Jim

Youtube-dl should still work, it's still getting updates.

Personally I just type 'youtube downloader' and use one of the websites to download an mp4.  It's hard to recommend one in particular as they disappear and reappear under different names.

jamiefairlie

4K Video Downloader, works a treat.

olliebean

yt-dlp is the better version of youtube-dl. I switched over when YouTube did something that made youtube-dl's downloads really slow, and searching the message boards threw up yt-dlp as the solution.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

Rev+

9xbuddy is reasonably simple as you don't have to visit another page to use it.  You just change the start of the URL from www.youtube to www.9xyoutube and it redirects to a page with a bunch of formats for download.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: jamiefairlie on April 18, 2022, 04:36:19 AM4K Video Downloader, works a treat.
This has done some sterling work for me, too.

touchingcloth

I google "Youtube video download" and pick one of the top 5 results. As others have mentioned there are loads of sites which do this but they're always rebranding and renaming themselves, so I'll find the one that works at any given time and either remember it or bookmark it depending on if I have a load of stuff I want to download or just the odd thing.

I use Brave as a browser which is Chrome-based, and I think Google ban plugins from their store which are designed to download YouTube videos - certainly there are none listed in their store with YouTube in their names, and when I've tried a generic video downloader on YouTube they give an error message about how "policies" prevent it. Probably there are ways to get around this with plugins in developer mode, but I'd sooner use Firefox or sutin with a native download plugin than bother with that sort of thing, and as it is the suck-it-and-see googling method works just fine for my needs.

Retinend

Oh shit, I didn't see this thread.

Reposting:

all details here:
https://stacher.io/

I first discovered the software as a solution to download entire YouTube channels into a single folder with one click. It also works for any YouTube playlist, and it never chokes even with 100s of videos in a queue. So it's also good if you want to do that.

Now, using a combination of this program and the website/Chrome-extension "TubeOffline", I can normally get a hard copy of any video that I can stream via the browser. Feels good man.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Retinend

It is! I feel like it's only a matter of time before iPlayer gets wise, though, so enjoy it while you can, my brothers.

canadagoose

Quote from: Retinend on April 30, 2022, 12:32:44 PMOh shit, I didn't see this thread.

Reposting:

all details here:

I first discovered the software as a solution to download entire YouTube channels into a single folder with one click. It also works for any YouTube playlist, and it never chokes even with 100s of videos in a queue. So it's also good if you want to do that.

Now, using a combination of this program and the website/Chrome-extension "TubeOffline", I can normally get a hard copy of any video that I can stream via the browser. Feels good man.
Ooh! Thanks. And also thanks to everyone else who replied.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Retinend on April 30, 2022, 12:32:44 PMOh shit, I didn't see this thread.

Reposting:

all details here:

Anyone know if this works outside of the UK or will it still get blocked?

Retinend

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 03, 2022, 07:23:31 PMAnyone know if this works outside of the UK or will it still get blocked?

I'm using it via a VPN in a foreign country, in that image.