Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:14:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Government broke law over care home discharges

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 28, 2022, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I suppose we're all used to stories of the government breaking the law but I think this ruling is worthy of discussion:

QuoteThe government acted unlawfully by discharging untested hospital patients into care homes during the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic, the High Court has ruled.

The case was brought by Dr Cathy Gardner and Fay Harris whose fathers, Michael Gibson and Donald Harris, died after testing positive for coronavirus.

In a ruling on Wednesday, Lord Justice Bean and Mr Justice Garnham concluded that policies contained in documents released in March and early April 2020 were unlawful because they failed to take into account the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from non-symptomatic transmission of the virus.

They said that, despite there being "growing awareness" of the risk of asymptomatic transmission during March 2020, there was no evidence that Matt Hancock, who was health secretary at the time, addressed the issue of the risk to care home residents of such transmission...

Will anything happen as a result of this ruling? I presume it will be looked at as part of the Covid inquiry (whenever that reports).

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-government-broke-the-law-by-failing-care-home-residents-who-died-of-coronavirus-high-court-rules-12599918

Pink Gregory

Should this not be more of a scandal? The government have been getting hammered from all sides over fairly trivial nonsense about parties etc but the news they killed off tens of thousands of our most vulnerable citizens is greeted by tumbleweeds.

Obviously the day we all hope for, when our callous leaders get held accountable in any meaningful way for the horrors they've inflicted will never really come, but I thought we'd at least have some media push back against wiping out a sizeable proportion of the nation's loveable oldies.

Quote from: Quote on April 29, 2022, 10:25:40 AMShould this not be more of a scandal? The government have been getting hammered from all sides over fairly trivial nonsense about parties etc but the news they killed off tens of thousands of our most vulnerable citizens is greeted by tumbleweeds.

Obviously the day we all hope for, when our callous leaders get held accountable in any meaningful way for the horrors they've inflicted will never really come, but I thought we'd at least have some media push back against wiping out a sizeable proportion of the nation's loveable oldies.

A combination of people desperate to forget the pandemic and survivorship bias will do that to a society.

Fambo Number Mive

Interesting how Michael Fabricant was tweeting about asymptomatic transmission as early as March 2020. Do Johnson and Hancock really expect us to believe they knew less about covid than Michael Fabricant?

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1242107856008163335

Quote@Mike_Fabricant
Except we have no idea how many people across the world have had #coronavirus because they have not been tested and some were either asymptomatic (no symptoms) or had only minor symptoms. Presently there is no test to determine whether someone ever had #coronavirus...
3:16 PM · Mar 23, 2020

olliebean

I find it hard to believe that anyone knows less about anything than Michael Fabricant. Except Dorries, of course.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 01, 2022, 03:50:05 PMInteresting how Michael Fabricant was tweeting about asymptomatic transmission as early as March 2020. Do Johnson and Hancock really expect us to believe they knew less about covid than Michael Fabricant?

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1242107856008163335

Uhh, he's not talking about asymptotic transmission, he's downplaying the dangers of covid (which in March 2020 was wrong but hadn't been so thoroughly proved as wrong).

Fambo Number Mive

Quote@Mike_Fabricant
Except we have no idea how many people across the world have had #coronavirus because they have not been tested and some were either asymptomatic (no symptoms) or had only minor symptoms. Presently there is no test to determine whether someone ever had #coronavirus

Fambo Number Mive

Here's Whitty talking about asympomatic infection in early March (video):https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1520780506736037891

Quote@PeterStefanovi2
Boris Johnson told Parliament this week he "didn't know covid could be transmitted asymptomatically"

Now footage has emerged of Chris Whitty talking about asymptomatic infection on the 5/03/20 - "There's a large iceberg of people who have asymptomatic infection.."

Johnson lied