Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,369
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindy Simmons

I got the impression Mathews was more trying to defend Linehan as a friend than actually agreed with him. I don't think he was arsed about trans rights either way.

As others said, it was likely more "yeah, that sounds a bit crazy Graham, but can we talk about the writing, have you actually done any?"

Of course, Linehan repaid that friendship by backstabbing him in another bananas rant. He has no allies in the industry anymore.

It's rare you see someone outside of reality TV repeatedly embarrassing themselves every damn week like this.

retsuza

I find it so funny how he keeps falling out with every single person from his previous life, and he never ever thinks he might be the problem.

It's actually kind of difficult to do this kind of introspection but if like 80% of my friends family and colleagues thought I was mental I'd really have to think about it.

retsuza

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 03, 2022, 06:58:44 PMGraham's best bits

Wow, he says there's going to be a weekly Free Father Ted update?

What's funnier, he gives up 3 weeks in, or spends the next year talking about it every week?

QDRPHNC

retsuza

Graham if you're reading this that's a bad idea and I don't want you to do that. I would be owned if you did that

The Bumlord

Quote from: retsuza on June 03, 2022, 08:23:50 PMI find it so funny how he keeps falling out with every single person from his previous life, and he never ever thinks he might be the problem.

Had a girlfriend like this. I pointed it out at one point and it did not go well.

greencalx

Ex_GC

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 03, 2022, 08:30:36 PM

This is utterly bananas. Does he think that any of that is going to make them change their minds? Still, at least the dinosaur costumes will finally be getting a was, those things must stink by now

tomasrojo

Quote from: wrec on June 03, 2022, 06:39:06 PMThe man has just lost a Twitter account for God's sake! Have some empathy!

FUCKING YES.

I didn't recognise the name but Irish people will know Paul Woodfull from Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly, The Joshua Trio etc.

Creator, as far as I know, of the greatest Irish-song title of all time: The Crack We Had the Day We Died for Ireland. (Though it might have been written by another member of Ding Dong Denny O'Reilly and the Hairy Bowsies,I guess.)

Ferris

"I had a frosty conversation with someone, which was unexpected because I brought them on to the project (well Arthur did) and I'm single-handedly torpedoing his ability to make money on a musical he's worked on. Like I say, a mystery as to why he is no longer my best mate."

Mindy Simmons

YES, DO THIS GRAHAM, IT WON'T BE EPICLY EMBARRASSING.

And we thought he couldn't write comedy anymore.

thr0b

For all his posturing that he'll Put The Show On Right Here, he's forgotten that just as he was told that it won't be happening if his name is attached, the other parties who have co-ownership (Mathews, presumably Hat Trick, and possibly even Hannon) presumably have the same power of veto to stop him doing it.

And given he's just called them a bunch of bastards, I can't see why they wouldn't veto it.

DreadedScotsman

It's gonna be another Laura Loomer attached to Twitter HQ hoping to get arrested where everyone just ignored him till he needs to take a piss or gets hungry for his leftover carbonara and leaves.

idunnosomename

as a reminder this was Arthur's bit in the press early this year. (paywall, someone did post the text originally, my usual workaround doesnt work for this, but the sub gives you the gist)
https://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-features/arthur-mathews-graham-linehan-is-a-good-friend-of-mine-he-is-not-a-bigot-its-a-matter-of-free-speech-41203587.html

it's a very shitty angle to take, "oh he's my friend so he has freedom of speech to be a horrible cunt". I dont include Neil Hannon in this as he's never done a similar thing and apologised for Graham's awful behaviour. but apparently Graham's turning on both of them because unless you're turbo-bananas against inflicting the menopause on gay babies you're as a bad as a TRA now

Mindy Simmons

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 03, 2022, 08:47:32 PM#glinnerisanally

Ah, the memories of that day on Twitter.

I'm curious if Mathews and Hannon just fucking snapped and told him straight he was to delete all his banana-cuntery, just be quiet and work?

DigForVictory

Him calling out Hannon and especially Matthews really does feel significant.

Those two seemed to be the last people from his old life that could still stand to be around him and now it looks like he's even fucked those relationships up.

Matthews and Hannon both still have successful careers, and I wonder if it's just got to the point where they've thought this musical that will never happen just isn't worth the hassle and wanted to just give up.

And because Linehan has absolutely nothing in his life he refuses to accept it will never happen and he sees them both as traitors now.

Ex_GC

Give it time and he'll share screenshots of emails or messages. Emails that will, no doubt, paint him in the worst possible light and show the other party to be reasonable

I also find it strange that anyone who works on the show (ha) has to sign a declaration. Imagine if a trans advocate said this? He would be going on about censorship and thought police and protected beliefs etc etc

The Bumlord

Imagine if he had the technological capacity to record phonecalls.

Ex_GC

I really wish Helen Lewis would talk about the abusive voice message he left her

Ferris

Quote from: DigForVictory on June 03, 2022, 09:26:25 PMHim calling out Hannon and especially Matthews really does feel significant.

Those two seemed to be the last people from his old life that could still stand to be around him and now it looks like he's even fucked those relationships up.

Matthews and Hannon both still have successful careers, and I wonder if it's just got to the point where they've thought this musical that will never happen just isn't worth the hassle and wanted to just give up.

And because Linehan has absolutely nothing in his life he refuses to accept it will never happen and he sees them both as traitors now.

They had a falling out in 2018 or 2019, there was an article in an Irish paper about them reconciling for the good of the project or some such.

Back then, private platitudes were probably enough to placate him. Not any more.

Can't wait for next week's instalment, real car-crash can't-miss stuff.

Mindy Simmons

"Graham, do you have any thoughts on this draft?"

"I hate trans people!"

"...right, but do you have any thoughts on this draft?"

"I like J K Rowling!"

"Look, do you have anything to actually contribute to this project?"

"Who are you?"

"...think we should stop talking to Graham now."

Elfking

Linehan thinks he's Father Ted and that he is a mostly sane man in an insane world. He's actually Father Jack and slowly sinking into a chair surrounded by carbonara boxes and stroking his pet brick (the only thing in the world that can stand to be around him).

Instead of the television he's watching a computer screen with Twitter up automatically refreshing the hashtag "JKRowling".

I think the only difference is that Father Jack was more coherent and likely to turn his life around.

Mindy Simmons