Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Safari won't display the Guardian

Started by pigamus, May 10, 2022, 09:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Safari won't display the proper desktop version of the Guardian website, just the mobile version. Seems to work fine on all other browsers, what gives

The Guppy

I think there's only one version and it adapts to the width of your browser window. The site looks identical on my phone and computer if I make the window on my desktop really narrow. Pressing "Request Mobile Website" on my phone just reloads the page.

Glebe

I bet The Telegraph site is fine though.

pigamus

I assume it's the mobile version cos it's just one long list of articles, and the photos look like shit cos they're displaying at desktop size. It's completely different to what Chrome and Firefox display, they both work fine

The Guppy

Sounds like it's gone wonky. Delete the cookie/cache.

Settings>Privacy>Manage Website Data
Seatch for Guardian and just remove that data

pigamus

Dex Sawash

Toss them some coin in the yellow box

pigamus

I've tried my iPad and it works fine on all browsers there including Safari. So it's just desktop Safari that's fucking it up. I don't get why it would be displaying the mobile version when it isn't even the URL for the mobile version. Bizarre.

Dex Sawash

Prolly it determines your display dimensions are unsuitable for desktop. Be aware that I know absolutely fuck all about any of this.

Got an external monitor you can try to disprove this?

pigamus

Okay, I've worked it out - it's because zoom on Safari is shit. Unless you have it set to Actual Size, which is shit and tiny, it won't display properly. Zoom in half an inch and it's bollocksed to cuntery. Isn't an issue on any other browser or Safari itself on iPad. Irritating.

Anyway problem solved, sorry for boring the shit out of you with this