Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 4,999,177
  • Total Topics: 95,082
  • Online Today: 496
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

August 10, 2022, 06:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Stephen King's shifting style

Started by 13 schoolyards, May 12, 2022, 06:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
"Night Shift" is a great short story collection, quite formative for me when I read it at a young age, as it was actually the first thing of his I read all the way through after struggling with some of the novels. The Lovecraft pastiche "Jerusalem's Lot" was particularly memorable.

I've often felt King and Ramsay Campbell had a similar problem, in that they're both masters of the short story form but not always able to sustain effective tension over the length of a full novel - King to a much greater extent as his books tend to be so much more overwritten.

Virgo76

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on August 02, 2022, 05:44:32 PMI do tend to get bored with King's overblown works.  Of his slightly leaner stuff, Misery, The Shining and Salem's Lot reign supreme, I reckon.
Only in Stephen King world could these books could be accurately described as "leaner ones!" All are about 450 pages long.
I agree with you entirely, although Misery would have better without all the extracts from Paul Sheldon's book within the book, the romantic historical novel, Misery.
The short story, The Body had similar problems. All the changes made for the film version were improvements.