Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:19:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

North Korea and covid

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 16, 2022, 04:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

So Kim Jong Un has finally admitted that covid has breached North Korea.

With no vaccines being accepted from outside and very little, if any, testing, it looks like covid will sadly rip through North Korea.

Will Kim Jong Un accept help from outside to prevent this? Will he order a lockdown? Sadly, given it's clear he doesn't care how many North Korean citizens die, I imagine the answer is no to both.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 16, 2022, 04:45:00 PMWill Kim Jong Un accept help from outside to prevent this? Will he order a lockdown?

Tune in next week, same Kim-time, same Kim-channel.

idunnosomename

Depends more on what China decides than Kim. The DPRK only endures because of China supporting it. And definitely with an infectious population last thing they want is a regime collapse and refugees coming in. Although China's got enough problems of its own atm

Fambo Number Mive

Might be a silly question but why does China support North Korea? Is it intended to be a geopolitical counter to the USA's support for South Korea? Even so, why doesn't Xi put more pressure on North Korea to improve its human rights record? Or does it suit these Chinese government to have a state that makes China's record looks much better by comparison?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Despicable of the NK gov to reject the vaccines. Awful cunts and now their people are suffering because of their government's stubbornness.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 17, 2022, 04:08:59 PMMight be a silly question but why does China support North Korea? Is it intended to be a geopolitical counter to the USA's support for South Korea? Even so, why doesn't Xi put more pressure on North Korea to improve its human rights record? Or does it suit these Chinese government to have a state that makes China's record looks much better by comparison?

I'm no expert, but I believe China is worried about a wave of refugees if the North Korean regime collapsed. They also don't want a state with lots of US military on their border.

imitationleather

Yeah also no expert but if the Kim regime ever collapsed for some reason China would just install a new puppet leader and run it basically exactly the same as it is right now, wouldn't they?

For all the talk of reunification neither South Korea or China wants to deal with the burden of bringing that place out of the Middle Ages.

Gotta feel for the North Koreans, Clive.

idunnosomename

Yeah I think the story generally is that North Korea was initially encouraged as a buffer state against US-affiliated South Korea after the "end" of the Korean War, and now it's the wave of refugees outcome.

North Korea of course isn't just a puppet of China, they don't approve of their nuclear programme. But it's not really all run by the Kims, the succession is always a problem when they snuff it, so I guess really the state is run by the military.

Cor it's a rabbit hole to get into, because however much you read you will never quite understand it because it's so secretive.

edit yday looking at the weirdness of N Korea I came across this comic book and read it online
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyongyang:_A_Journey_in_North_Korea
it's just a fascinating place and very sad really how there's obviously so much misery under its paper-thin Pyongyang facade. one thing in this comic that struck me is the highway built from Pyongyang to the International Friendship Exhibition built into a hillside 70 miles north. it has barely any exits and basically the only reason it was built is to take visitors straight there and back.

imitationleather

I also have read that book. If you've not read Guy Deslisle's other stuff I really recommend it, he's a GBOL and has had a far more interesting life than me.