Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Locked Ipad

Started by NattyDread 2, May 20, 2022, 03:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattyDread 2

I have an old inherited ipad 2 that's been sitting gathering dust for ages as it's locked to a passcode.
Just wondering, is it possible to bypass the passcode without the faff of asking the previous owner to remove it from icloud or whatever?
Also, is it worth the bother? I've never used a tablet but I imagine most stuff will no longer run on this. I thought it could be used for simple browsing or playing videos and music. Would it be any good for that? I'd prefer to keep it out and landfill if possible.

Cheers

touchingcloth

Do you have a computer you can run iTunes on? If so you should be able to connect the device via USB, find it in iTunes, and use the option to reset it to factory defaults from there. It's reasonably hard to work out from the various articles online which approaches apply to current devices, and which will work for older ones like an iPad 2. Is this page any help in your case? https://www.mactip.net/how-to-unlock-device-from-a-previous-owners-apple-id/

It'll be fine for browsing the web, playing music, or using as a controller for other devices in your house. That said, I'm not sure if, say, Spotify will still provide an app for an OS as old as the latest you can get for iPad 2.

If I had an old tablet like that I'd probably mainly use it as a tablet to use in front of the telly, or one that I didn't care too much about damaging - a media player for out in the garden, something to read recipes on in the kitchen, bath tugs.

Replies From View

Quotea media player for out in the garden

Call a spade a spade.

NattyDread 2

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 20, 2022, 04:17:57 PMIs this page any help in your case? https://www.mactip.net/how-to-unlock-device-from-a-previous-owners-apple-id/

That link breaks it down well. Thanks for that. Looks like I'm stuffed if it's running anything later than ios7, presuming that the iphone stuff also applies to ipads.

touchingcloth

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on May 21, 2022, 11:56:21 PMThat link breaks it down well. Thanks for that. Looks like I'm stuffed if it's running anything later than ios7, presuming that the iphone stuff also applies to ipads.

For the iPad 2 the OSes were the same as for iPhones, and I'd be surprised if your inherited one had anything other than iOS 9 on it sadly.

Dex Sawash

I've got an ipad 2, only about half of my various streaming video apps work/are available. Was frustrating to find a version of iTunes that would recover it after a dead battery crash. Giant bezel is nice for watching video in bed since it helps avoid inadvertently swiping to the end of a show.