Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

My computer is being a cunt, what do

Started by Kankurette, May 24, 2022, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I have a desktop Mac (I can't check what make it is right now) and I installed Monterey earlier today. Tried turning it on and it takes half an hour to boot and when it gets to 'less than a minute remaining', it takes more than a minute. Tried reinstalling Monterey, didn't work, same thing happened. Loading screen for half an hour and then it's stuck on 'less than a minute remaining', and I've got a translation job due tomorrow night that I can only do on my computer as the programme I use, CafeTran, and all the files are on it. I've tried turning it on and off to no avail and I'm worried it's bricked. Please note: I am not tech savvy.

This screen has been showing for waaay more than a minute.

touchingcloth

I don't have any experience of this myself unfortunately.

Do you have an Apple Store nearby where you could take the Mac? Does your reference to "make" suggest it's a hackintosh, i.e. macOS running on non-Apple hardware? If it's official Apple then a store might be your best bet for a quick fix.

I've tried googling for

Quotemonterey "less than a minute remaining"

and there are a lot of hits about it, though no single cause (and I haven't yet seen any which match your case where the message is happening (I assume) following a download from inside the working OS, with the message being on one of the reboot screens after the initial install was kicked off from inside the OS.

Booting in "safe mode" has got me through some Mac problems in the past, so it's worth trying those steps here (the link is one specifically about "less than a minute..." messages for Monterey, so it's worth reading through the other sections as well) - https://iboysoft.com/howto/fix-macos-update-stuck.html. If you can get it to boot in safe mode, that might be enough to get your work done at least.

Do you know, roughly:
  • How old your Mac is
  • How much available storage it has
  • How fast your internet connection is

? All of those things sound like the could be factors in the message you're seeing.