Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:47:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why am I so massive? (MP4 is saying that)

Started by Des Wigwam, June 05, 2022, 02:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Des Wigwam

Just a curious question but I've bought Empathy Pains (Kiri Pritchard-Maclean) off Gumroad and the 1h29 long MP4 seems to be 12.7gb to download.

That's huge isn't it? Is that a normal size? I don't know about things like compression rates so maybe it's perfectly normal. I suppose this might just highlight that I'm used to watching really crappy downloads.

Famous Mortimer

That does seem to be a bit on the large size. Gumroad is legit, it looks like? Is it not like Bandcamp where you can choose the quality of your download?

QDRPHNC

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on June 05, 2022, 03:08:51 PMThat does seem to be a bit on the large size. Gumroad is legit, it looks like? Is it not like Bandcamp where you can choose the quality of your download?

It's legit - whether or not it's the best platform for performers  to use I don't know. Seems you set your minimum price and then people can pay that +.  It is annoying they don't tell you VAT isn't included - I don't mind with KPM as she does a lot of good work. Would be less happy buying something by (say) Jimmy Carr (for many reasons apart from the price).

There's only one download size or you can stream it. You own it forever but I would probably download it at some point out of paranoia and compulsion.

Rachel Fairburn's People's Princess is the only other thing I've bought off there. AVI, 1h5m and 1.5 GB - just remembered and thought to check.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: QDRPHNC on June 05, 2022, 04:02:07 PMThat's up around proper Blu ray quality.

Ha. Can't wait to watch it on my elderly tiny-screened laptop!