Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ms Marvel Season 1

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

The first episode of yet another Marvel series is now out, based on the really fun comic that sees sixteen year old Kamala Khan become a superhero. I've struggled with some of the Marvel tv series but really enjoyed this, it captures the feel of the comic but has changed a few elements so it feels like its own thing.

Also, weirdly, the showrunner Bisha K. Ali was on the open mic circuit at the same time I was (2011/12) and I knew her a little bit, and she was always very funny when I saw her do stand up. And I'm not even slightly bitter that she's having an amazing Hollywood career while I live in a shared house in East London with a bunch of weird old men, oh no!

Glebe

Popped this on after watching the latest episode of Obi-Wan, felt a little odd watching a thing about a high-school girl as a 46 year-old bloke (of course Spidey is a high-schooler, but whatever), in any case it was colourful, inventive fun and it's nice to see ethnic and cultural inclusiveness (although you can be cynical about it and say that Disney just wanna appeal to as many people as possible). But yeah that was a fantastic kick-off for a new character.

phantom_power

Yeah this was great. Fun, colourful, authentic and different. Iman Vellani is fantastic in the lead role and the support is strong as well. It is good to see that it is pretty small scale as well

Gulftastic

I'd enjoy it more if I could just stop myself doing a bad Paul Bearer impression every time anyone says 'Kamala'.

Swoz_MK

Really felt like Spiderverse, songs from Armaan (1966) and Babul Veer (1987) and a teen cast I didn't immediately hate, in fact they were all pretty great. Even the "mean girl" was sweet.
Love kamala's family.

Dr Rock

Mobbd

GREAT to hear positive noises about this.

Ms Marvel is one of the current/recent mainstream comics series I actually read (usually waiting for the trade but occasionally buying singles like a proper nerd). I really like Kamala and her story. I'm not one for superhero shows and films at all, but I've wondered many times if Ms Marvel might make an exceptionally good TV series. There's enough kitchen sink reality in it to not be ridiculous plus enough gorgeous colour to look nice without being cartoonish. It doesn't have that fascistic/armoured/grimdark aesthetic that some of the bigger stories have. It's like a Spidey for the present moment without the reheating and rehashing.

So... I'm looking for to seeing this. Thanks, OP.

dead-ced-dead

Its visuals are fantastic, which is so bizarre for anything MCU related, as they usually favour the same bland, beige colour palette and stiff camera movements.

This is so fun and zippy. As someone said upthread, very Spider-verse.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I got around to watching the first episode last night. A great start to the series, although I could say that about most of these Disney+ Marvel efforts and they've mostly disappointed with their endings - hopefully this can buck the trend.

Very visually vibrant, as others have said. That and the mother/daughter relationship reminded me of Turning Red.

What were those props at the convention made from? The Ant Man Head rolled around like an unstoppable boulder, whereas the giant Mjolnir smashed right into someone without doing them any apparent injury. Aside from that scene, it was surprisingly low stakes. I'm guessing the cops at the end are going to be the antagonists, in a sort of war on terror allegory.

I wonder if they changed her powers because it's easier to render some glowing constructs than convincing stretchy arms.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 15, 2022, 01:33:07 PMI wonder if they changed her powers because it's easier to render some glowing constructs than convincing stretchy arms.

A bunch of folks have suggested that. Stretchy powers are very hard to do without looking weird, so it wouldn't shock me.

Alberon

I think I read somewhere that they did want to differentiate from Mr Fantastic's powers which will eventually turn up in the MCU so they changed Ms Marvels'.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on June 15, 2022, 03:35:34 PMI think I read somewhere that they did want to differentiate from Mr Fantastic's powers which will eventually turn up in the MCU so they changed Ms Marvels'.

This was my theory too. Makes sense.

I was a bit sad not to see her embiggening powers to be honest. But that's a small thing really and it's good that the TV series is its own thing.

Dex Sawash

1940s Superhero lady standup comic show?

Nxmee

Episode 2 was proper good too IMO, If anything Marvel is going to make me want to pick up a comic book, it'll probably be this.

I really don't mind the glow-y constructs power, especially with how Kamala seems to be using it as an extension of herself anyway

holyzombiejesus

What day to new episode drop in the UK? Really liked this, such a likeable and relatable lead.

mjwilson

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on June 19, 2022, 05:38:27 PMWhat day to new episode drop in the UK? Really liked this, such a likeable and relatable lead.

Wednesday.

phantom_power

750K streams in its first week. The lowest of any of the Disney Marvel shows. People are trying to blame the quality of the show (which is nonsense as it is good), the fact they have changed her powers (I doubt many care that much), the low audience rating for Captain Marvel (possible) or the lack of knowledge of the character (probably a significant factor). Of course there may be another reason it isn't picking up as many viewers as the other shows

The Culture Bunker

I've found it fine enough, the charisma of the main actress overcoming the occasional obvious storyline devices (ie geeky male best friend who is really in love with her). I did say as soon to my wife as the lad opened his mouth that "I reckon he's bad news. British accent, always the telltale" and the final scene didn't do much to convince me otherwise.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on June 19, 2022, 07:29:37 PM750K streams in its first week. The lowest of any of the Disney Marvel shows. People are trying to blame the quality of the show (which is nonsense as it is good), the fact they have changed her powers (I doubt many care that much), the low audience rating for Captain Marvel (possible) or the lack of knowledge of the character (probably a significant factor). Of course there may be another reason it isn't picking up as many viewers as the other shows

A racial thing? Maybe, but isn't it also the first Marvel show to not be a spin-off or extension of the movies? Plus, the ads make it look a lot more like a proper kiddie thing than, say, Loki or Falcon did, which might limit the audience further.

Plus, it's summer and the weather is nice. And maybe there'll be some audience fatigue, too.

Quote from: Mister Six on June 19, 2022, 11:56:33 PMisn't it also the first Marvel show to not be a spin-off or extension of the movies?
I think that was Moon Knight.

Mister Six

Oh right, yeah, although I suppose that had (a) a well known actor in the lead role, and (b) that edgy, violent superhero thing that's easier to sell to nerds than cutesy teenage colourfulness. Also, Moon Knight's been around for a lot longer. Also, racism.

Snrub

I'm hopeful word of mouth will give this series a boost (if it even needs one) - much like the original Ms Marvel comics. Haven't heard anything bad from people who have actually watched it yet, nit-picks aside.

Does have the potential to run and run as a series, and I know she is due to be in the Captain Marvel sequel too.

I just love the series so far, everything about it is just fun and what got me into comics in the first place. Have only read the original volume of Ms Marvel and the show is definitely an accurate depiction

elliszeroed

I thought this was great. Would love to see it as an ongoing 12 episode multi-season series.

Theremin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PMAlso, weirdly, the showrunner Bisha K. Ali was on the open mic circuit at the same time I was (2011/12) and I knew her a little bit, and she was always very funny when I saw her do stand up. And I'm not even slightly bitter that she's having an amazing Hollywood career while I live in a shared house in East London with a bunch of weird old men, oh no!

That's funny, I knew Bisha too!

Won't be watching this, but happy she's doing something she enjoys.

elliszeroed

Well that escalated fast!

Spoiler alert
Hello we're the Clandestine, but not the ones from the comics. Actually we're Djinn and we want you to help us. Actually fuck that, we'll just attack you at a wedding. You would think a group of hundred year old super beings would be able to destroy a teenager who has only has her powers for a week or so. You would. I did.
[close]

Odds on Captain Marvel appearing in the final episode, anyone?

stonkers

Spoiler alert
Mega LOL at ClanDestine of all things showing up, sort of. Can't wait for Darkhawk and Sleepwalker next.
[close]

mjwilson

Quote from: phantom_power on June 19, 2022, 07:29:37 PM750K streams in its first week. The lowest of any of the Disney Marvel shows. People are trying to blame the quality of the show (which is nonsense as it is good), the fact they have changed her powers (I doubt many care that much), the low audience rating for Captain Marvel (possible) or the lack of knowledge of the character (probably a significant factor). Of course there may be another reason it isn't picking up as many viewers as the other shows

I don't know whether it is relevant but it seems weird to me that it was launched during Obi-Wan and that the episodes both drop on the same day. It seems like you should separate them to maximise the publicity.

Quote from: elliszeroed on June 22, 2022, 01:31:58 PMWell that escalated fast.
It really got it of hand.

It felt like there was an episode missing. The Djinn's have been on Earth for a century, but they can't wait a few more days for Kamala to decide whether she should risk destroying the planet just to send them home? I don't like arguing in favour of formula, but it seems to me the more effective way to handle it would be to have them draw her in to their viewpoint, only for the penny to drop later on.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Theremin on June 21, 2022, 10:15:34 AMThat's funny, I knew Bisha too!

Won't be watching this, but happy she's doing something she enjoys.

Ah, small world and all that. Why won't you be watching out of interest? I completely get it if you're not in to Marvel stuff, but if it's just a case of superhero malaise (which I've definitely been suffering from) then I'd recommend it as it's a really well written show with some impressive acting. Other than Wandavision and Loki I haven't clicked with any of the post Netflix Marvel tv shows, but this is just a pleasure to watch.