Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ms Marvel Season 1

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliszeroed

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 14, 2022, 10:55:01 AMMarvel had been forbidden from mentioning mutants in their own productions as the adaptation rights to the X-Men belonged to Fox, and the main criteria for using characters from the comics was whether they were mutants or not.
Over the years, Marvel tried a few workarounds (including creating the Inhumans), but it was only when Disney bought Fox that the matter was settled. Now, people are waiting for the inevitable reboot, and more possibilities for the other properties to use characters that were described as mutants in the comics.

There was the same situation for James Bond films. Between The Spy Who Loved Me and Skyfall, they couldn't use SPECTRE or Blofeld due to the rights seating with somebody else, as part of the elements of Thunderball. They started to try workarounds with the reboot (Quantum) until the producers gained the screen rights to Thunderball, giving them control over all the material written by Ian Fleming.

I guess that was why they suddenly started to push the Inhumans in the comics and made a TV show that no one watched!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: phantom_power on July 14, 2022, 10:17:24 AM
Spoiler alert
I think the in-joke is the little sting from the old X-Men cartoon when Bruno says "mutation"
[close]
I had the volume quite low, so I didn't actually notice the music. I guess reference would be a better term than in-joke. The question being, does it actually portend something, or is it just a meaningless Easter egg?

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 14, 2022, 12:34:57 PMI had the volume quite low, so I didn't actually notice the music. I guess reference would be a better term than in-joke. The question being, does it actually portend something, or is it just a meaningless Easter egg?

Spoiler alert
I think given the same thing was done when Xavier appeared in Dr Strange I think it is significant
[close]

I did notice that one and had a little chuckle, but thought nothing further of it. I just looked up the Ms Marvel scene and it's plain as day. I don't know how I missed it the first time.
Spoiler alert
Is it possible that it's paving the way for the 90s animated series revival? Just getting it out there in the public consciousness, rather than any sort of crossover?

Obviously, the X-men are going to turn up sooner or later (I read a recent rumour that Taron Egerton is in talks for Wolverine) but I don't know much about the comics. Is Kamala an X-man in them, or is this just a convenient place to start seeding the concept? It obviously works with the oppressed minority themes of both. I can imagine series 2 of this introducing some young mutant (perhaps Jubilee, or one of the good ones) and ending with them meeting Xavier and going on to be the POV character in the new X-men film.
[close]

Re: Telly vs. films. Even though I thought it shat the thematic bed in the last episode, I'd say WandaVision is still the only live-action one that really justified the format. It wouldn't have worked as a film, the way the others could have. It feels like the main reason for making them series is (a) attracting subscribers to Disney+ and (b) avoiding the dreaded oversaturation in the cinemas. I reckon even the mouse house wouldn't try to get away with six or seven films a year.

stonkers

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 14, 2022, 02:16:42 PM
Spoiler alert
Is it possible that it's paving the way for the 90s animated series revival? Just getting it out there in the public consciousness, rather than any sort of crossover?

Is Kamala an X-man in them, or is this just a convenient place to start seeding the concept?
[close]

Spoiler alert
A bit of both I think. In Dr Strange Xavier is specifically based off the 90s animated Xavier (but  he's not literally the same character).

In the comics she's an Inhuman (sort of, it's more complicated than that), but that's only becasue as mentioned elsewhere prior to buying Fox they were trying to downplay mutants / X-Men and making a failed attempt at moving the Inhumans into their spot. If they created the character in the comics today she'd be a mutant.

Maybe we'll get some announcements at Comicon next week. The Marvels is in post-production and is out in a year, after that they haven't really got any films properly scheduled.
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 14, 2022, 11:43:19 AMI guess that was why they suddenly started to push the Inhumans in the comics and made a TV show that no one watched!

Exactly. The CEO at Marvel, Ike Perlmutter, has been there since before the Disney buyout. He was enraged that every time they published an X-Men story, it would actually benefit Fox, while they had sold the adaptation rights for a pittance when they had gone bankrupt in 1996. So, he asked people at the comics division to revive a series from the sixties that could take the place of X-Men, then a couple of years later asked Marvel Studios to turn their adventures into a film. Hence the announcement of that particular project for phase III of the MCU.

At some point during the 2010s, Kevin Feige got fed up with Perlmutter's requests, including this one, and had Disney make him answer directly to the head of Walt Disney Studios, instead of Perlmutter. Disney didn't want to lose the golden goose, and does everything they can to accommodate him. So, the project was removed from the schedule soon after Feige gained autonomy.
But Perlmutter still controlled Marvel Television, which announced this lavish TV show based on Inhumans for ABC, and it ultimately was his folly.

mjwilson

Kamala is definitely a
Spoiler alert
mutant and an x-woman
[close]

Mr_Simnock

The x-men films have all be a bit shite (bar logan), how are they going to mix them in with the current lot? There's going to be an awfull lot of explaining to do I think.

elliszeroed

I think they'll have to modernise the origins somehow, otherwise you'll have a century old Magneto. They'll probably want a young team, so they can make many films, and I bet Logan will only be teased in it.

Or:

All the multiverses will be combined after some big event, and suddenly the X Men, the FF anyone else will have always been here. (Although my preferance for the FF is that they've been in the Negative Zone all this time, where time is different, although that sounds too much like what they did to Antman.)

This way they can do a semi-reset on the MCU, replace actors with younger people and the like.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They'll do another reboot in a couple of years. Stewart as Xavier was as much an Easter egg and a cameo for fans as Krasowski as Mr. Fantastic. He's not supposed to return. Many significant cast members for the original (Stewart/McKellen) then the semi-reboot (McAvoy/Fassbender) versions of X-Men wouldn't be returning, and Disney may want to stay as far as possible of anything related to Bryan Singer.

For the moment, it's easier to do one more Fantastic Four reboot, given that nobody cares about the three existing movies, and they won't be budged by the weight of comparisons. They'll probably describe a few new characters as mutants in the Disney+ shows or a few films, then it will build up to a new X-Men project.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on July 15, 2022, 05:48:43 PMStewart as Xavier was as much an Easter egg and a cameo for fans as Krasowski as Mr. Fantastic. He's not supposed to return.
He'll probably need a wheelchair for real by the time they get around to making the films.

I can imagine other ex X-men turning up for a fourth wall breaking cameo in Deadpool 3. Other than that, I don't expect they'll be back.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 15, 2022, 04:16:10 PMI think they'll have to modernise the origins somehow, otherwise you'll have a century old Magneto.
That's a real problem in some ways. Magneto being a victim of the holocaust and then being persecuted for being a mutant was a large part of making him a very sympathetic villain.

I did enjoy the show, as did my wife, though I do sort of wish they'd not had the thing about fancying Kamran. I was sort of rooting for Bruno to avoid the friend zone curse.

Snrub

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 15, 2022, 04:16:10 PMAll the multiverses will be combined after some big event, and suddenly the X Men, the FF anyone else will have always been here. (Although my preferance for the FF is that they've been in the Negative Zone all this time, where time is different, although that sounds too much like what they did to Antman.)

This way they can do a semi-reset on the MCU, replace actors with younger people and the like

I think this is what they are gunning for  with all the multiverse stuff. Similar to the (Modern) Secret Wars event in the comics that allowed them to bring in characters like Miles Morales from the Ultimate Universe into the main Marvel Universe, and would allow a soft reset of the entire thing.

Glebe

Finally got round to watching the last couple of episodes of this, it was actually really good on the whole.

So there's been a bit of a fuss about
Spoiler alert
Kamala not being an Inhuman as I believe she is in the comics, but apparently the character's creators originally wanted her to be a mutant:

Ms. Marvel's Creators Originally Wanted Her To Be A (REDACTED) In The Comics Too – Exclusive.
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 15, 2022, 06:29:35 PMHe'll probably need a wheelchair for real by the time they get around to making the films.

I can imagine other ex X-men turning up for a fourth wall breaking cameo in Deadpool 3. Other than that, I don't expect they'll be back.

Giancarlo Esposito has said he'd like to play Xavier, and I can imagine that working very well.

MojoJojo

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 14, 2022, 09:02:25 AMReally enjoyed that overall. Like others have said, it was just a fun time.

However, I think this is the first MCU series that seemed like it could've benefited from few more episodes, like two or three more would've given it a bit more breathing room. Although, I would've been happy just to have more time with the characters, who totally carried the series and made it work in spite of some rushed storytelling.

I haven't watched the final episode yet but this was definitely my impression. First two episodes good but then the story gets too compressed.
Spoiler alert
The Djinns betrayal didn't have any weight it was so fast. And then their dead. Similar with the trip to Pakistan - it just didn't feel significant in the way it should have.
With such a crowded story I can only guess Damage Control were included for MCU reasons.
[close]

Vodkafone

I've watched the first two and really like it. I thought CaB might be cynical about it, but pleased to see that's not the case.

I like the colourfulness, the direction, and the fact that it's not straightforward for Kamala - family to deal with, the bangle is double-edged and sometimes scary. Some of the high school tropes are very tired, but I like that it's set somewhere unfashionable like Jersey.

MojoJojo

I think unfortunately the first two episodes are the best; although I still like it overall the story is just too crowded.
Spoiler alert
I think episode 3 is where they go to Pakistan and I started thinking it's too soon for a new location, we don't know Jersey yet.

There's an origin story, a second origin story tied into the partition of india, a trip to Pakistan, and two baddies. In six episodes.
[close]

Mr_Simnock

I find any media whatsoever that is about 'mutants' to be a bit second rate so not looking forward to this becoming part of the mainstream stuff.