Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Heinous Rwanda deportations go ahead

Started by bgmnts, June 11, 2022, 09:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Sort of does boggle the mind that this is happening and is being allowed to happen but the world knows no limits really does it?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61763818

Judge said this:

QuoteBut Mr Justice Swift noted that, while the campaigners had enough evidence for a review, their claim was "not conspicuously strong".

Fuck you you scumbag.

Also, this is who we are in comparison with now:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/17/rwanda-uk-asylum-seekers-deportees-israel-scheme

shoulders

Great when our own judiciary fall below even the most fundamental, basic standards of humanity. It is the same feeling as seeing some cunt bullying or torturing a defenceless animal.

We should consider, upon overthrowing this government to find ways of enshrining basic standards of human treatment and aggressively prosecuting, retrospectively, the individuals responsible falling below it through the policies they enact and decisions taken.

Covid care home fiasco (effectively mass murder) - prison
Rwanda deportations - prison
Bedroom tax - prison
Libya, Iraq, etc - Prison
Disability assessment show trials - prison

Unless these principles are hammered home consciously and repeatedly these worms will continue lowering and lowering the bar.

Psybro

The Government wants a Bill of Right but the sole purpose of that is to let celebrities call you names in a newspaper.

I thought the judiciary were cool punk heroes now?

Kankurette

How can we even afford it? The government can always find the money when it's convenient for them, the cunts.

JesusAndYourBush

Sebastian Cobb

Seems to be some pr-management surrounding Prince Charles saying it's horrid, BBC loudly reporting his spokespeople saying he's remaining 'neutral'.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2022, 03:33:03 PMSeems to be some pr-management surrounding Prince Charles saying it's horrid, BBC loudly reporting his spokespeople saying he's remaining 'neutral'.

The royal family are officially impartial on all political matters, so this makes sense.

It is fucking monstrous though, and it's nice that even a privileged plum like Charlie can see that.

Fambo Number Mive

The BBC report mention a charity called Detention Action which is fighting the deportations, you can find out more here: https://detentionaction.org.uk/

Fambo Number Mive

The appeal court has allowed the first flight to go to Rwanda, carrying eight asylum seekers. A shameful new low for Britain.

QuoteJust before the ruling, SNP home affairs spokesman Stuart McDonald told MPs in the Commons it was a "cash-for-deportations" policy "akin to state-sponsored trafficking and transportation".

But Home Office minister Tom Pursglove replied that the comparison was "plain wrong" and "very offensive not just to this government but also, I'd argue, hugely offensive to the Rwandans too".

Fuck me. "How dare you offend the British and Rwandan governments".

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Das Reboot

Imagine the size of the Mail's raging hard-on for this and NI Protocol bullshit tomorrow.

shoulders

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 13, 2022, 05:34:30 PMThe appeal court has allowed the first flight to go to Rwanda, carrying eight asylum seekers. A shameful new low for Britain.

Fuck me. "How dare you offend the British and Rwandan governments".

You are doing the right thing raising shit like this.

I find it really, really difficult to process what's going on and not just wish vengeance on those responsible, even though that is guarded against on here these days.

badaids

Quote from: Mister Six on June 11, 2022, 04:29:09 PMThe royal family are officially impartial on all political matters, so this makes sense.

It is fucking monstrous though, and it's nice that even a privileged plum like Charlie can see that.

Hopefully Charles thinks this is true, and god on him for saying so, however what this really is part of the campaign to improve Charles' image and popularity among us plebs for when his mum passes on.  We'll see a lot of this is in the press from now on showing us what a great bunch of lads Chaz is.

superthunderstingcar

Quote from: badaids on June 13, 2022, 08:47:45 PMHopefully Charles thinks this is true, and god on him for saying so, however what this really is part of the campaign to improve Charles' image and popularity among us plebs for when his mum passes on.  We'll see a lot of this is in the press from now on showing us what a great bunch of lads Chaz is.
You've got to laugh that the best way to do this is for him to criticise all the horrific things the government (his mum's government) are doing.

People like Priti Patel and Liz Truss are spinning this as 'us compassionate Tories trying to save refugees from those heartless people smugglers'.

If the Tories just came out and said, "We're a bunch of cunts, and we don't care", I could handle that, but when they pretend to be kind and compassionate, it does my fucking head in.

idunnosomename

It is fucking monstrous, the "a lottery to discourage oh-so dangerous travel crossings have you got a better idea" and I hate the Tories so much as well as the shitty cunt newspapers bellowing about it.

This is what should be causing ministers to resign, not Boris Johnson's parties. Well also the COVID mismanagement which everyones forgotten about

Butchers Blind

gilbertharding

Some CUNT on the Today Programme (to be clear - one of the presenters) referred to the deportees as 'illegal' immigrants this morning. He may (perhaps) have been quoting, but it wasn't clear.

I despair, I really do. It's clear that this is popular - ie a majority of people in this country are probably in favour - whether or not they have been sold this by lies is irrelevant to me.

jobotic

I haven't said anything about this because I have no idea what to say.

It's beyond hideous.

jobotic

And we are very close to lawyers being labelled as terrorists, as in Turkey.

Johnson has said they are in League with criminal ginags this morning.

Do people still get laughed at on here when they mention fascism?

There was some lawyer who was trying to stop these flights interviewed on BBC News yesterday and the interviewer was giving it the full "isn't this just bleeding-heart lefty lawyers trying to interfere again" (paraphrasing) line of questioning. May as well have had Gove or Patel doing the interview.

Zero Gravitas

I hope all seven get out there, and have a jolly nice time.

But then each of their cases is reviewed and they brought back to the UK, but with a sufficient gap that they each need a separate flight, and the flights have to be booked at very short notice - but not in the good 'Last minute flights' way where they're cheap, in the bad way where they're very expensive.

And I can then rub that expense in the faces of people who like this sort of thing - which they will find more convincing than any moral argument.

Fambo Number Mive

Which airlines are taking part in these deportations? Boycotting them and writing to their head office telling them why might be a good first step

What else can be done?

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: J Peasemould Gruntfuttock on June 14, 2022, 09:28:32 AMPeople like Priti Patel and Liz Truss are spinning this as 'us compassionate Tories trying to save refugees from those heartless people smugglers'.

This is the line they always try to hide behind - trying to 'break the business model' of the people smugglers.

The 'hostile environment' (sorry, 'compliant environment') where everyone from medical staff to social workers are expected to act like border guards, spotting illegal immigrants and grassing them up to the authorities. The infamous vans urging immigrants to go home. All of these things were about tackling the people smugglers, according to the Tories.

steveh

Can't imagine the stress and anxiety that the people being deported must be going through. Médecins Sans Frontières put out a press release today with this in it:

QuoteMSF has witnessed such suffering on Nauru island, where Australia enacted a similar policy of forced removals and "offshore processing." There, 65 % of our refugee and asylum seeker patients felt that they had no control over the events in their lives. These patients were significantly more likely to be suicidal or diagnosed with major psychiatric conditions. 

Just utterly evil to enact this policy.

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 14, 2022, 10:52:54 AMWhich airlines are taking part in these deportations? Boycotting them and writing to their head office telling them why might be a good first step

Privilege Style. Half a million cost whether there ends up being anyone on the flight or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privilege_Style

Edit: people have been protesting at their HQ: https://twitter.com/FreefromTorture/status/1536654709829910528.

Fambo Number Mive

No-one in the mainstream media seems to be asking the government "why not let these people enter legally and build a new life in the UK?" or "if these people are desperate enough to risk their lives crossing the English Channel clearly there are good reasons why saying they should seek asylum in other "safe" countries won't work for them".

Having a more open immigration and asylum policy would be the humane thing to do and would also save millions spent on these flights, the UK border force, "go home" vans etc. It's weird how the right is so paranoid about immigrants but thinks (in the US at least) we should trust people to buy assault rifles. As people have said these flights are another step closer to fascism.

TrenterPercenter

So if Labour propose to reverse this utterly shameful policy would people support them (they have said as much that they would).  It would be a sure fire way to stop this policy, they would need a majority though, or to be the biggest party just wondering how this stacks up with them both being as bad as each other crowd.

Seems quite a simple bit of daylight between the two parties, something that people might consider not playing into the tories hands for the greater good but also not doing so seems to run foul of the rhetoric (absolutist insincere non-sequitor debate guys stchick) of throwing minorities under the bus.

Not sure why it takes the Tories literally spiriting away refugees to make this point (this has been obvious for the last 10 years) but here we are ready to make the same mistakes again.....

jobotic

What have the Labour Party actually said about this then?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 14, 2022, 11:09:04 AMIt's weird how the right is so paranoid about immigrants but thinks (in the US at least) we should trust people to buy assault rifles.

It isn't.  They use nationalism and fear to appeal to often poorly educated, precarious workers (not just "indigenous citizens" you'll find lots of anti-immigrant views in various 1st and 2nd generation migrants) that feel threatened by other cultures or division of local resources, of course there is then linear correlation here between the concerns and racism.

Immigration is just a tool, like unemployment and drug use and crime is.  All bread and butter for the powerful and the rich - The question has always been what are you going to do about it?