Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:07:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Heinous Rwanda deportations go ahead

Started by bgmnts, June 11, 2022, 09:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Good news!

QuoteRwanda asylum flight in doubt after 11th-hour ECHR intervention

Lawyers make successful emergency application to European court that could lead to grounding of first flight

The European court of human rights has made a dramatic 11th-hour intervention into the government's controversial plans to send asylum seekers to Rwanda that could ground the inaugural flight to the east African nation.

Lawyers for one of the asylum seekers due to fly this evening have made a successful emergency application to the ECHR after exhausting applications to UK courts.

The decision is a blow for Boris Johnson's flagship policy of sending asylum seekers 4,000 miles to the east African country.

It comes after the prime minister threatened to take the UK out of the ECHR and accused lawyers of aiding criminals exploiting refugees in the Channel.

In an initial decision, a letter from the court has stated that the asylum seeker should not be removed on Tuesday evening. Sources have claimed that the grounds cited apply to all asylum seekers facing removal so all asylum seekers due to board the plane tonight can rely on this decision from the court.

The court said it took particular account of evidence from UNHCR that asylum seekers transferred from the UK to Rwanda will not have access to fair and efficient procedures for the determination.

The decision also cited the ruling by Mr Justice Swift, who although he refused to grant an injunction to halt tonight's flight said the question about whether to treat Rwanda as a safe third country was irrational or based on 'insufficient enquiry' gave rise to "serious triable issues".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/14/european-court-humam-right-makes-11th-hour-intervention-in-rwanda-asylum-seeker-plan

Johnny Yesno

Also:

Man released as protesters block immigration raid in Peckham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYhqDyJMS7I

Norton Canes

gilbertharding

jobotic

Hats off to everyone involved in stopping this. And solidarity with those poor people.

jobotic

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 14, 2022, 10:19:06 PMLet's hope this isn't a pyrrhic victory. I forsee the ERG lobbying for withdrawal from the ECHR.

Johnson has already hinted to them today that he will give them that. Keeps him in power.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on June 14, 2022, 10:20:56 PMJohnson has already hinted to them today that he will give them that. Keeps him in power.

Spiteful vandals. These lot aren't even Conservatives (which would be bad enough).

idunnosomename

johnson is a mouldy-mouthed cunt who needs booting into a ditch

Zetetic

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on June 14, 2022, 11:09:04 AMIt's weird how the right is so paranoid about immigrants but thinks (in the US at least) we should trust people to buy assault rifles.
Trust the right kind of person:
Quote from: Zetetic on November 22, 2021, 11:30:02 PMClose to one in ten of the adult population of the US are on the FBI's NICS register [used for background checks when buying guns in stores], mostly made of up of:
  10 million "illegal aliens"
  6.4 million mental health
  4.6 million done a crime with a long enough jail sentence

Getting on there for mental health mostly involves compulsory admission, and drug offences are often enough to get you into the crime category - both of which are massively systemically biased towards stripping the right from black and poor people.

And the massive legal loopholes for background checks against the NICS registers are much more readily available to some people - white people, for example - than others; even if the background check process itself wasn't massively biased, the workarounds are.

Zetetic

Anyway, join a local anti-raids group if you like.

Protests are counter-productive (since they convince the government that a relatively small number of weird people give a shit, rightly or wrongly) but preventing "enforcement visits" and detentions (physically or legally) works.

Zetetic

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on June 14, 2022, 11:33:42 AMThey have said it is unethical, expensive and un-British (and also cruel).
Sorry, was this about sending people to Rwanda or to North Yorkshire?

TrenterPercenter

So watch Johnson climb back up the polls now as he takes on the ECHR and the rightwing papers tell everyone how our borders are controlled by the EU (doesn't matter if it is true or not).

Well that was no doubt the calculation wasn't it - a win-win situation for the Tories - either they get to deport people to Rwanda or they get stopped from doing so and this reinforces support among the usual suspects for more and more extreme right-wing actions like withdrawing from the ECHR. Quite possibly it's really more about the latter than the former for them.

Withdrawing from the ECHR would be seriously bad news, needless to say. Not only an erosion of the post-WWII peace settlement and a bonfire of human rights, but a ploy to remove international legal review of their actions by bringing in some piss-weak 'British Bill of Rights' to be enforced by the same domestic courts that they are also seeking to neuter. Seriously fucked-up times.

Zetetic

More broadly, it serves the idea that we must continue to centralise all power in Westminster - that this is the true expression of sovereign democracy.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on June 14, 2022, 11:20:40 PMWell that was no doubt the calculation wasn't it - a win-win situation for the Tories - either they get to deport people to Rwanda or they get stopped from doing so and this reinforces support among the usual suspects for more and more extreme right-wing actions like withdrawing from the ECHR. Quite possibly it's really more about the latter than the former for them.

Withdrawing from the ECHR would be seriously bad news, needless to say. Not only an erosion of the post-WWII peace settlement and a bonfire of human rights, but a ploy to remove international legal review of their actions by bringing in some piss-weak 'British Bill of Rights' to be enforced by the same domestic courts that they are also seeking to neuter. Seriously fucked-up times.

What? No. They're just doing it to upset Ian Dunt, remember?

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1514509288911392771

Bigfella

So what happens if you don't get deported to Rwanda or elsewhere? Staying in an immigration detention centre for life?  Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Zetetic

However, Lord Starter will come to your village hall and tell you how disgusting, how unethical, how chaotic it is that they've decided to house refugees in your backyard.

steveh

Seems to be quite a lot of mixing up in the media of the European Court of Human Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights. The government seems have already sets its mind on withdrawing from the former and instead incorporating the latter in the new Human Rights Act. That would allow it to abide by the Good Friday Agreement obligations while eliminating an external / less malleable check on its power.

Fambo Number Mive

Would be interesting to know how people in Rwanda feel about their government allowing other countries to deport desperate people seeking asylum in those countries there.

I suppose it wouldn't be very easy to smuggle a journalist in or some recording devices. But I'm not convinced by the comments of the government spokeswoman Yolande Makolo, who claims opponents are missing the "bigger picture"

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2022/06/14/rwandan-government-hits-back-at-insulting-criticism-over-migrants-plan/

idunnosomename

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on June 15, 2022, 12:20:44 AMWhat? No. They're just doing it to upset Ian Dunt, remember?

https://twitter.com/iandunt/status/1514509288911392771
i was going to mock him for the second tweet but i guess it's true again... for now.

Quote from: steveh on June 15, 2022, 08:33:36 AMSeems to be quite a lot of mixing up in the media of the European Court of Human Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights. The government seems have already sets its mind on withdrawing from the former and instead incorporating the latter in the new Human Rights Act. That would allow it to abide by the Good Friday Agreement obligations while eliminating an external / less malleable check on its power.

I think this 'British Bill of Rights' stuff - the pet project of that weasel Raab - is intended to incorporate the bare minimum of the Convention obligations but to couch them in such terms that they're more difficult to access and easier for the UK Government to override.

Lemming

The thing I can't get my head around is why the Rwandan government agreed to this in the first place. £120 mil payout, but the consequence is that the country is cast as a nightmarish shithole that it's a punishment/"deterrent" to be sent to. Why agree to it? I watch a lot of travel YouTubers and Rwanda, at least in that circle, was just starting to get a reputation as a safe and welcoming up-and-coming place with Kigali having some really nice luxury areas to stand in and go "ooh", with YouTubers from as far away as the USA and as near as Uganda all going and giving the place rave reviews. That reputation is surely now in tatters as they've not only agreed to this insane human-rights-busting plan that even the average right wing commentariat cunt thinks is a bridge too far, but specifically casts them in the role of an inhospitable hellscape.

On the radio over the past few days a lot of people have called in to say that it's inhumane to send people to Rwanda specifically (rather than just deporting people on a plane half the world away from their families against their will in general), the implication always being that it's a shithole where you'll be disappeared and executed four seconds after landing. The Rwandan government have agreed to take this massive international reputation hit willingly, as part of a scheme that seemingly has only one actual purpose - to boost Tory polling among racists. Why?!

Fambo Number Mive

Maybe to make closer ties with the UK government and hope they will get something more in return later on. They might also hope that UK government ministers will keep repeating that Rwanda is a lovely country to be sent to which might convince some people within the UK.

I suppose they might hope other countries will also deport refugees to them so they can make more money.

shoulders

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteStarmer's spokesman has declined to say whether Labour would cancel the Rwanda policy if in government, though deeply critical of the policy's cost and efficiency. But declines to clarify if Starmer believes it is morally wrong.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1537049789577183235

I suppose the press and his own spokesperson are just willfully ignoring the bits where Starmer's saying it's morally wrong too eh?

Sebastian Cobb

Here's a shit take, this time yesterday a plane was ready, lawyers and activists were still busting their arses to prevent it taking off, and managed it by a ball-hair. Yet:

Fambo Number Mive

Governments aren't judged by tangible policies? Weird comment from Hyde.

The comments below the line seem to be mainly agreeing with her in a very smug way.

shoulders

It was a stunt though. A very well financed one, but still a stunt. The objective is to show the obstructors and the EHRC as detached do-gooder lawyers and soften public opinion for the next step in the Britannia Unchained project.

Sebastian Cobb

I think that's a bonus for them rather than machavellian scheming, they probably did want to send asylum seekers there. They'd already committed to withdrawing from the echr long before this policy, the policy being thwarted will advance that, so win win for them, but I don't think they set this up with the express intention of doing something they said they were going to do anyway.